Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I bought myself a new Dell Lappy with a good 60GB, 1.4Mhz and 512MB of RAM... and lots of other cool stuff. However, despite being really happy with it, I keep getting taunts from Mac users that the ibooks and powersbooks are waaaaaaaaaay better. Furthermore, they claim that Mac's Os X is way better than WinXp.

Soo.. could people please comment on the Mac-Pc debate?

I felt so lousy after having spent my parent's money. Oh yeh.. the only thing that I like about the Mac is that it's casing is made of bulletproof material and it's supposedly very durable. Plus! The ibook is white and incredibly pretty. Other than that, I have proven that Mac's claims that their ibooks are thinner and lighter than all other PCs are totally invalid since my lappy is lighter and only a couple of mm thicker than the ibook.

ReputationRep:
    Its jsut a matter of taste, I personaly hate Max OS X and just can't get used to it no matter how hard I try.

One isn't really better than the other.

ReputationRep:
    Its a matter for the person's own preference.

Don't be put off by Mac users, their machines are not as high quality as they are made out to be...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    One isn't really better than the other.
    Apart from the fact that Macs are better

lol and I'm not getting into this debate about macs vs pcs

ReputationRep:
    Hmm okie. I just hope to maintain my PC really well so that I can laugh when Macs claim that they have superior machines

So far I love my new lappy... it just makes me so so so happy.

ReputationRep:
    Only Americans have them anyway, and you know all about Americans...

ReputationRep:
    In everyday use, there is no real difference between Macs and PCs although I find Macs hard to use . I know somebody with the Ibook and it is tiny - the size of a medium hardback book. If I had a choice though, it would be the G4 Powerbook because it kicks ass. Mind you though, a nice Sony Vaio or a Tosh would go down equally well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Only Americans have them anyway, and you know all about Americans...
    I'm not American and I have my own ickle iBook

*tries to resist arguing about macs vs pcs*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)

I'm not American and I have my own ickle iBook

*tries to resist arguing about macs vs pcs*

UNless you want a machine to handle music, video editing, DVD authoring, digital photography, or desktop publishing, it makes no real sense to buy an imac, unless you are loaded and want to stand out of the crowd...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    UNless you want a machine to handle music, video editing, DVD authoring, digital photography, or desktop publishing, it makes no real sense to buy an imac, unless you are loaded and want to stand out of the crowd...
    A quote from my computers and design lecturer who runs his own multimedia company "I hate these ****ing macs!" as the suite we use for that module as EMACs with Mac OS X.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Surely a PC can do that. Plus, pirated software is so much easier to find for PCs. I've got the entire Adobe family that can do all the DVD and graphics editing. Hmm.. to get an imac is definitely more expensive though. Furthermore, upgrades are insane.

However, my boyfriend has got a 17 inch Powerbook G4 that he bought for only 500 Euros second hand. Lolz... I'm quite pleased with that purchase, although, how the heck will he carry a 17 inch Powerbook around?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Surely a PC can do that. Plus, pirated software is so much easier to find for PCs. I've got the entire Adobe family that can do all the DVD and graphics editing. Hmm.. to get an imac is definitely more expensive though. Furthermore, upgrades are insane.

However, my boyfriend has got a 17 inch Powerbook G4 that he bought for only 500 Euros second hand. Lolz... I'm quite pleased with that purchase, although, how the heck will he carry a 17 inch Powerbook around?
    Yes, but the things/activites I said are "better" in a mac. Most graphical desgigners etc uses Macs, but eral souped up ones, not the retail ones.

ReputationRep:
    Macs are supposed to be better for art/graphics because of history, they offered a GUI before PCs so it made it much easier to do desktop publishing on them. The first DTP package came out on a mac.

However these days PCs have cuaght up and as longs as you get a decent video card and monitor, caloberate them the picture quality on screen can be just as good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    It's good value for money though and I can do practically anything on it...

I've got an iBook, my bro's got a 17" powerbook (it's HUGE! but I prefer my little cute thing), my dad's got a 15" powerbook which everyone uses and then there's a G4 Tower in my room with a very lovely looking flat screen going on, but no one actually uses it because laptops are handier :/ But you could do pretty much anything on it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)

It's good value for money though and I can do practically anything on it...

I've got an iBook, my bro's got a 17" powerbook (it's HUGE! but I prefer my little cute thing), my dad's got a 15" powerbook which everyone uses and then there's a G4 Tower in my room with a very lovely looking flat screen going on, but no one actually uses it because laptops are handier :/ But you could do pretty much anything on it...
    Good value for money? Uh check again, their build quality is about as shoddy as some of the big high street retailer's.

I didn't say you *couldn't* do anything on a mac. It would just be more expensive/slower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Good value for money? Uh check again, their build quality is about as shoddy as some of the big high street retailer's.

I didn't say you *couldn't* do anything on a mac. It would just be more expensive/slower.
    All the desktops have been good quality and my laptop is built like a tank! I've accidently walked into doors and stuff with it and it didn't so much as make a dent :rolleyes:

My computer's not slow!

I said I wouldn't argue about macs and pcs so I'm not going to post on this thread again

ReputationRep:
    mac looks pretty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)

All the desktops have been good quality and my laptop is built like a tank! I've accidently walked into doors and stuff with it and it didn't so much as make a dent :rolleyes:

My computer's not slow!

I said I wouldn't argue about macs and pcs so I'm not going to post on this thread again
    Yes, and so would a professional laptop of about the same price that is also waterproof, and sturdy as a mule. :rolleyes:

I did not say it was slow. Only slow running apps such as MSOffice vX and AOL and IE to name a few.

This "debate" is rather like arguing for why Mussolini was better than Hitler

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Yes, and so would a professional laptop of about the same price that is also waterproof, and sturdy as a mule. :rolleyes:

I did not say it was slow. Only slow running apps such as MSOffice vX and AOL and IE to name a few.

This "debate" is rather like arguing for why Mussolini was better than Hitler
    he didnt killed as many people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)

My computer's not slow!

Oi!! you said you were not going to get invovled in this argument! You should be revising

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.