Turn on thread page Beta

PCs Or Macs? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Yeh.. I saved 700 dollars buying my Dell comp rather than an ibook with the same specs.

Furthermore, I got a super cool video card and my 1400 x 1050 resolution means that Mac users can't go dissing my graphics anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    he didnt killed as many people
    Really? I didn't know that...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    BUT.. everytime I look at my roomie's pretty ibook (it's white!!!! with a cute apple on it!!!) I can't help but feel sorry for my metallic grey Dell with blue highlights (which are just awful).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    BUT.. everytime I look at my roomie's pretty ibook (it's white!!!! with a cute apple on it!!!) I can't help but feel sorry for my metallic grey Dell with blue highlights (which are just awful).
    Console yourself that yours is better than his.

ReputationRep:
    macs win hands down... the only downside of them is that cos everyone uses pcs it makes it hard to transfer files and things. the upside of this is that noone bothers to write viruses for macs!
    no graphic designer in their right mind would use a pc - i'm a designer and have a pc at home and despite having all the software it needs on it, it sucks. pcs are marginally better for some 3d stuff, just cos theres more programmes available for pc. macs also look nicer, are easy to upgrade yourself, last forever, dont crash and are generally really robust.

ReputationRep:
    last forever?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fifi53)
    macs win hands down... the only downside of them is that cos everyone uses pcs it makes it hard to transfer files and things. the upside of this is that noone bothers to write viruses for macs!
    no graphic designer in their right mind would use a pc - i'm a designer and have a pc at home and despite having all the software it needs on it, it sucks. pcs are marginally better for some 3d stuff, just cos theres more programmes available for pc. macs also look nicer, are easy to upgrade yourself, last forever, dont crash and are generally really robust.
    I thought that they were ridiculously expensive to upgrade (in terms of Processor and RAM). Macs are nothing but the digital artist's canvas and the rich man/woman's plaything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fifi53)
    Like I said, I would tolerate a reason like yours if someone had a job like yours as a designer. Not because a buffon bought a mac because it looked nicer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Like I said, I would tolerate a reason like yours if someone had a job like yours as a designer. Not because a buffon bought a mac because it looked nicer.
    the looks are just a bonus the good thing is, designers appreciate their beauty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    the italian goalkeeper bought a mac?!

ReputationRep:
    lilsunflower u made a good choice. If you bought a mac you'd have hell connecting to durhams network and more importantly their legal database thinggy (which is apparently really advanced) it means u can get whatever cases/materials u need without having to go out to the library. Macs can be nice, just the problem is they're horribly incompatible and expensive.

ReputationRep:
    What I don't like about Macs is the lack of customisation they allow. Look at the Mac site and there are few options you can choose to customise your Mac. On the other hand, Dell offered me so many choices so that I could choose between 20GB or 60GB and the RAM varied by so much too.

I think that PCs are better suited for your average user who can't afford Macs incredibly expensive software and upgrades.

One think I resent about my Dell is that it doesn't have Firewire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iiikewldude)
    lilsunflower u made a good choice. If you bought a mac you'd have hell connecting to durhams network and more importantly their legal database thinggy (which is apparently really advanced) it means u can get whatever cases/materials u need without having to go out to the library. Macs can be nice, just the problem is they're horribly incompatible and expensive.
    OMG you've just given me the best piece of news I could have asked for. *evil grin*.. Now I can tell that to my roomie who has just bought her new ibook and will also be going to Durham.

Why is it more difficult to connect to the network though? Surely they have made it compatible to Mac users too?

ReputationRep:
    PCs all the way!

However, most uni networks are configured to work with many platforms and I am sure that Durham will have one for Macs so that isn't an issue.

ReputationRep:
    I will have to say PC... I have never even used a Mac!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    OMG you've just given me the best piece of news I could have asked for. *evil grin*.. Now I can tell that to my roomie who has just bought her new ibook and will also be going to Durham.

Why is it more difficult to connect to the network though? Surely they have made it compatible to Mac users too?
    u probably will be able to connect with a mac eventually but it might cause alot of hassles for the general network. Not to sure about the legal database in particular though, rather to be safe with a pc

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I went to the Durham ITS site and they said that they offer connection advice for MAC users but apart from that they can't help any further. WOOHOO!!

And plus, whenever my PC has probs, I can get help easily. Yayz.

You see... suddenly I'm feeling good about myself.

ReputationRep:
    I'll put it this way. My uni uses macs for almost everything, yet only because they are donated.

ReputationRep:
    Woah... how do you find them though?

ReputationRep:
    is there such a thing as a mac emulator for use on a PC? like you get a pc emulator...

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.