Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Woah... how do you find them though?
    Well first you go to an outdoors store and buy all the special equipment.. oh...
    I actually don't like them. I'm just more comfortable with Windows ever since Win95 came in years ago and caused such a ruckus forcing people to learn how to use computers again. I don't really feel like learning the ins and outs of another operating system. So I use Macs as little as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Always used windows, until i got a Mac 12" powerbook last summer... WILL NEVER EVER go back to windows..

I detest it, the mac runs smoother, quicker, has never crashed no software problems what so ever. My mums windows xp laptop, is the worst ever, always screws up, messes with aol and is just plain ~ugly~.

Macs are more expensive yes, but i can see the difference when working with it. And i have had no problems transferring files between mac and windows. Also my new camera Canon links with it brilliantly, and of course the iPod.

Windows XP also more susceptible to viruses etc, simply because the majority of the world runs on it!!! BONUS!

ReputationRep:
    the windows xp start menu is soooo slooooooooow!! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I've had no issues with XP whats so ever its 100% reliable its just as good if not better than that BSD Mac OS X.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I've had no issues with XP whats so ever its 100% reliable its just as good if not better than that BSD Mac OS X.
    Likewise. I've always just formatted the things when I get them and no probs whatsoever, with the one exception of my DVD player not working on my laptop. Though it could be easily fixed if I wanted it to work I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Same.. I happen to like my XP a lot. It works well with the higher end comps, coz' I know that it messed my 5 year old PC up coz' my PC just wasn't strong enough to maintain it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Oi!! you said you were not going to get invovled in this argument! You should be revising
    I couldn't resist! And I've done 2 past papers today and am going to steal my bro's room when he goes out so I can do some revision in peace :rolleyes:

For the record my iBook is maxed out so it has masses of memory and all that other stuff and also airport (so I can surf the internet wirelessly) and bluetooth so I can use a wireless mouse and keyboard and connect it with my mobile and stuff

*i really will not post here again - but macs are better than pcs*

ReputationRep:
    ok, as a computing professional (web developer) i've got to say I prefer macs for graphics/movies/sound editing. However PCs are usually better for everything else.

I had to choose between a powerbook or a centrino laptop last year, I chose the centrino (similar size yet was nearly £1k less) and pocketed the difference

ReputationRep:
    Argh, Windows isn't the only OS available for PCs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    PCs Or Macs?
    PC. Enough Said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    the windows xp start menu is soooo slooooooooow!! :mad:
    cos ur pc's poor qual

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rayban)
    cos ur pc's poor qual
    lol, yeah you're probably right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    lol, yeah you're probably right

search your registry for MenuShowDelay and change its value to 1... it speeds up the start menu, instant loading time Like it should be!111111

ReputationRep:
    Macs are prettier which is why I bought one (hmm, well I am a girl! ), but I reckon PCs are more compatable with other machines, i.e. most people have PCs and are generally better and easier to use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)

For the record my iBook is maxed out so it has masses of memory and all that other stuff and also airport (so I can surf the internet wirelessly) and bluetooth so I can use a wireless mouse and keyboard and connect it with my mobile and stuff
    Lolz.. And I bet that cost you too! Mine has similar specs with less fancy names. Wireless we just call wireless.. Bluetooth came with it. And 512MB or DDR RAM with an extra RAM slot was a fair deal. Hehe.. I started this thread feeling awful about my PC, but now after reading this debate, I'm starting to like my PC lots!

The only bum is that Dell put a region-lock on it's NEC DVD player. As such, I have 2 options.. to keep the region code to "1", which is the American code, or I can try "flash" my drive, which could potentially bust the entire player. Thank goodness I live in a piracy haven. As such, all the DVDs here are multi-coded and cheap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Specialheffa)
    I detest it, the mac runs smoother, quicker, has never crashed no software problems what so ever. My mums windows xp laptop, is the worst ever, always screws up, messes with aol and is just plain ~ugly~.

Windows XP also more susceptible to viruses etc, simply because the majority of the world runs on it!!! BONUS!
    1. I believe you get what you pay for, you cannot comapre gold with silver, thus you cannot compare an powerbook of £2000 with an ordinary laptop of £1000

2. "Messes with AOL" I believe using AOL on a mac is even worse. You cannot blame AOL's bad programmers on the laptop itself.

3. I think if you were security conscious then you would spend the £1000 that you would otherwise spend on getting decent security for the laptop.

ReputationRep:
    Ive owned both(albeit havent had a Mac for years) but theyre far FAR better than IBM/Windows based PCs. Only negative is the paucity of software for them in comparison, but this can be overcome with programs specifically to make PC software Mac compatible.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/apple.php

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'd ever replace my main machine with a Mac - I've got too used to Windows. However, there is no decent competition to my apple cinema display. The same goes with my ipod - even if it is horribly scratched. Up until the release of this baby (Sony X505), no laptop could replace our powerbook either.

For anyone starting out on computers, I would definitely recommend a mac. The lack of a right mouse button is hardly a problem - but you can always buy a different mouse, or hold the apple key whilst clicking.

ReputationRep:
    [geek mode]

I used Win98SE for years, and, because I actually have more than one braincell, it was fine.

I was reluctant to change to XP, but it is actually even better! It is brilliantly stable as long as you tweak and optimise it every so often to keep it in good order.

I mean, Mac doesn't even trust its users with more than mouse click.

What is more, if it's Windows that you have a problem with, leave PCs out of it. Linux can be configured to make a superb PC system FOR FREE, for that, allow a little more than 4 braincells. Just remember, Mac OSX is based on Linux...

Why do Macs crash less etc? Simple. There is much less software for them to have to be compatible with, and lots of it is specially developed with Apples, which only have a few configurations. This is why it costs around twice as much as PC software.

Now lets turn to hardware:
    "Yeah, macs are so much faster and more powerful - the G5 is the world's first 64-bit desktop processor (a lie) and is also the world's fastest. (a lie)"

Hmm; I'd like to see dual G5s beat a pair AMD Opterons at anything.

[/geek mode]

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.