Should I Report An Old Friend?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So a few months back now I was close with someone, they now deal Cocaine. I owe them money from a while back for actually buying cocaine (I am clean now thank god!) it's only £100 but i have more important stuff to pay for.

Recently he has started to keep pestering me for this money & began threatening me. I know if i dont pay up he will come to my house and ask for it, which wouldnt really be a problem as hes not a serious drug dealer or a serious guy, hes Just your average joe who supplies coke to his friends and a few strangers, But my parents would find out and then things would get messed up! Id be homeless more than likely for taking it and my dad would probably beat him to a pulp for selling it me and having the cheek to come to my house.

I know the easiest thing to do is pay him the money but I really dont have it spare at the moment & I understand a lot of folks are gonna tell me I shouldnt of done it in the first place, but now i know that and im so glad im off it for good.

So im asking for serious replies on whether or not I should report it anonymously to CrimeStoppers online? I have an incredible amount of detail which would see him locked up for 7 years. Is it worth it? Would he ever find out its me? Its like i said hes not too much to worry about but i know he knows people who would do the dirty for him.

Please respond asap.
NutE
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
yes get him reported. no doubt about it.
Ædwards
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would recommend doing it, as long as you make sure you get some sort of protection in exchange for the information. Not worth screwing up your life over something as stupid as drugs, and if it's the first time your friend is prosecuted he might be treated leniently. Hopefully he can learn from his mistakes like you have. Good luck.
absolemo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Personally, I don't think u should do it, because its gonna destroy his life, 7 years in jail is a long time, and you don't want to really be involved with that kind of thing anymore (or have it on your conscience).

What if he knows it u (just assumes he finds out), and then gives your name to the police out of spite?
Or after he comes out of jail, he tries to get revenge (who knows what contacts he might make in jail, and you said he already has contacts that would 'do the dirty for him'?).

Its only £100, tell him you really don't have and that you'll save up, and that if he were to come to your house to ask for the money that your parents are really strict and will report him to the police, and kick you out on the street, then he'll know its a not threat since you'll be in trouble too.

If you want to be done with that lifestyle, you don't want things catch up to you 10 years later, over £100.
madman13
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Forgive me for being so naive but i did not think £100 would be that much for a coke dealer, them knobs are usually raking in £1000s a week. Anyway just tell him to give you some time or ask if you could pay him back in alternative ways.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ALevelBro
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Take a loan and pay him back mate, are you seriously going to risk it over 100 quid?
AvaAdore
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Man up and pay your debt.You were in this too - drug laws can seriously destroy people's lives. Trust me, as a recovered addict with a career in substance misuse services. Obviously I wouldn't say the following at work but it's the truth and all us workers know it.

If you wanted to report him because you felt he was doing something terrible I wouldn't argue with your morals. But you aren't - you did it too and the only reason you wanna report it now is so you don't have to pay a debt of £100. Cowardly.

I've worked in this business long enough to know and I'm sure you do too that you will not be 100% safe in the community of he suspects you had any involvement which he probably will. Word travels fast in the drug community and friends can be surprisingly loyal when they're getting gear out of it. I'd stay away because you aren't doing this for a noble reason they can understand or respect.
AvaAdore
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ædwards)
I would recommend doing it, as long as you make sure you get some sort of protection in exchange for the information. Not worth screwing up your life over something as stupid as drugs, and if it's the first time your friend is prosecuted he might be treated leniently. Hopefully he can learn from his mistakes like you have. Good luck.
He wi not get protection. There has been no threat to him. Also if he says 'I need protection' they will OF COURSE need to know all details of their history and want records of conversations they've had. Which automatically implicates him in the buying and using of illicit drugs, plus weakens his case as being about revenge when the debt is revealed.
Drunk Punx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Are you taking the piss? You can't afford to repay your dealer because you were ticked it and now don't have the money to pay your dues, so you're seriously contemplating grassing him up because of your mistake?

People do my ****ing head in.
hvh
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Pay him the money. Get on with your life. Stay away from the crowd.

Don't ****ing report him to get out of £100.
Protégé
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Such cowardice, you owe the man some money, pay up some way or another.
ArundelRanger
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Report him.

Niccolò would be proud.
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This is pretty pathetic OP, pay him back when you can since you seem to think he's no a serious guy I'm sure he'll settle for whatever you can pay in the meantime until you can pay in full.

As for reporting him, if he's not a bad guy I really don't see why you would. The fact drugs is illegal pisses me off enough, without people like you reporting people despite obviously not thinking what he is doing is immoral. Ask yourself is £100 really worth this guys life? Seriously grow a backbone.
SophieSmall
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ædwards)
Honestly all reporting him will do is get him locked up, then when he get's out of prison he won't be able to get a job, many landlords won't rent to him etc. Basically his whole life will be down the toilet. If you honestly think reporting him is the best option for everyone involved then you are naive.

Only people who are a genuine danger to society should be put in prison, and even then they should be properly rehabilitated and given a good start once they have served there time. But that is really not how the prison system is in this country. The vast majority of inmates re-offend.
Zarek
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You're morally bankrupt and bonkers. Firstly you're a criminal yourself, then you're prepared to have a friend sent down for something you were complicit in and finally it's quite likely the police will either not give a toss or go after you too. I would either pay the debt or be man enough to tell him you're not going to and take the consequences. Go your weasel way and I'm sure it will backfire big time.
Jenz786
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This is so dumb! As if u would go crime stoppers for that. Get a grip! And just tell him that u can't afford it but wen u have it free u will give it him.......

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.65%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.03%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.36%

Watched Threads