The Student Room Group
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website

Q & A with the Westminster Rep

Hi everyone!

There's some really useful discussions going on on the forum already, but I wanted to let you know a bit about me and open up the floor to questions!

I'm Rosie, and I work in the Course Enquiries team at our Cavendish site in Central London. It's my job to know a little bit about all the courses, rather than a lot about a few of them, but anything that stumps me I'll know which direction to point you in!

I can answer questions about the application process, personal statements, courses, transport, living in London in general, funding, fees, and whatever else might be on your mind about coming to Westminster.

Ask away! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, my name is Denzel and I currently live in Sweden. I'm very interested in your journalism and mass communications course and I wonder how you help provide your students with gaining connections in the industry.
I also wonder if you know weather you're students find it difficult to make friends due to the fact of the campus being a part of central London. Or if you are able to find a since of strong community either way.
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website
Hi Denzel,

Thanks for your questions.

I want to get some more details on the first part of your post, with regards industry connections, so bear with me on that one. I've emailed our Careers Development Centre and the course leader to get you some examples of where our students have interned within the industry. I'll get back to you as soon as I hear from them.

To address the second part: you're right, we don't have one central campus. However, you wold be studying on a campus with hundreds of other students from a range of Faculties. Each campus has its own social space and the campuses in central London are all within 15 minutes walk of each other. I regularly work at different campuses and walking between really doesn't take long - and allows you a walk down Regent Street which is always fun!

One big help with making friends is joining an active society or a sports team. It's a great way to meet people with common interests. You might want to take a look at what some of our societies get up to, and you can find out a bit more here. There are so many events happening across the campuses you really can meet as many people as you want to! If you're into Journalism you're in luck here as we have a newspaper, magazine, radio station and TV channel and you can get involved there - that'll be good for your CV and for making friends. Take a look at the Student Union website for a bit more info.

If you were to study Journalism you'd be at our Harrow campus and there really is a sense of community up there. As well as having its own bar and cafes, the student halls are really nearby so you have a community base. You're still only a few tube stops from central London so you can pop in for events or if there's people you want to meet.

I hope that gives you a better idea of what it's like being a student here - but please fire away with other questions if you've got them!

Rosie :smile:
Reply 3
Hello Rosie

Thank you very much for your kind responses to the enquiries here thus far.

I have applied to the Post Graduate Scholarship upon receiving the Unconditional Offer for Purchasing and Supply Chain Management course starting this September.

Currently I am waiting for the result notification, may I know if the Scholarship Office is sending it soon?

With kind regards :smile:

Ken
Original post by kent102
Hello Rosie

Thank you very much for your kind responses to the enquiries here thus far.

I have applied to the Post Graduate Scholarship upon receiving the Unconditional Offer for Purchasing and Supply Chain Management course starting this September.

Currently I am waiting for the result notification, may I know if the Scholarship Office is sending it soon?

With kind regards :smile:

Ken

Hi Ken,

The scholarships team have been very busy processing all the applications but you'll be pleased to hear they are nearly there! They've said that everyone should have a response by the end of the month.

Rosie :smile:
Original post by UniWestminster
Hi everyone!

There's some really useful discussions going on on the forum already, but I wanted to let you know a bit about me and open up the floor to questions!

I'm Rosie, and I work in the Course Enquiries team at our Cavendish site in Central London. It's my job to know a little bit about all the courses, rather than a lot about a few of them, but anything that stumps me I'll know which direction to point you in!

I can answer questions about the application process, personal statements, courses, transport, living in London in general, funding, fees, and whatever else might be on your mind about coming to Westminster.

Ask away! :smile:

Hi Denzel,

I've heard back from a few people about industry connections. Firstly, the Work Placement office said this:
BA Journalism students are requiredto do a work placement of at least 10 days as part of their course, and we inthe work placement office help them to achieve this. We provide advice on theapplication process (including CVs and covering letters), as well as tips onhow to search for placement opportunities and the best way to approach them. Wealso upload a wide range of placement vacancies to Blackboard.
The Careers Development Centre have pointed me towards their website.

The course leader is on leave but back on Monday so I'll let you know what they say then :smile:

Rosie
Reply 6
Hi, thank you very much Rosie, your answers were really helpful.
I also have another question for you and it is weather the journalism students will be able to be active in Smoke radio, or if it's exclusively for radio production students!
Best Regards: Dezel
Rosie:

I wanted to know my chances of receiving the full international undergraduate scholarship.

(I applied with my current college transcript, but I'm entering as a freshman)

Program: BA Journalism Conditional (but, I've met the conditions)
Academics: 3.63 GPA
Extracurriculars: VP of Media Club on my college's campus, produced a docu-drama on rape, and was a part of a youth TV talk show (on a local channel)
Financial need: My single mum makes under $10,000 BSD ( approx. 6,500 GBP) annually, which isn't enough for fund my time at UoW.

Thanks
Raffy
Original post by Denzel123
I also have another question for you and it is weather the journalism students will be able to be active in Smoke radio, or if it's exclusively for radio production students!

Hi again Denzel! We have heard back from the course leader, and he had the following to say about gaining connections within the industry;

'The 10 days of work placement is part of the professional development planning which starts in Semester 1 of Year 1, when they write a career plan for one of the fist module assessments. This will get students to think about what kind of journalist they want to be, and how they should best use the course to develop the skills and knowledge they need for their chosen career path. Students come back to their career plan at various points in the degree, especially at the end, where you would revisit and update it in the light of your placement and work done on the course. Tutors and the Faculty are also on hand to help students build links within the industry. Working journalists and professionals are invited for specific sessions, and the Media, Arts and Design faculty run a series of weekly talks from media industry professionals (called Harrow Conversations).
Recent graduates are also invited to talk to Journalism students about career development, who have lots of up to date tips and advice. I know that students find this one of the most useful things, as the talks are really engaging and students love hearing from those in the industry who were also former students.

There is a Work Placement Office, and the journalism staff also circulate lots info about placements and work experience opportunities'.
I hope this helps, and let me know of anything else you need :smile:

Original post by goodvibes70
Rosie:

I wanted to know my chances of receiving the full international undergraduate scholarship.

(I applied with my current college transcript, but I'm entering as a freshman)

Program: BA Journalism Conditional (but, I've met the conditions)
Academics: 3.63 GPA
Extracurriculars: VP of Media Club on my college's campus, produced a docu-drama on rape, and was a part of a youth TV talk show (on a local channel)
Financial need: My single mum makes under $10,000 BSD ( approx. 6,500 GBP) annually, which isn't enough for fund my time at UoW.

Thanks
Raffy

Hi Raffy, I hope you are well!

Let me know if you have applied for a scholarship yet? If not, unfortunately you have missed the deadline for the 2015 scholarships.

The scholarships for September 2016 will be published on our website over the next few months, and there are actually a few scholarships available for students starting their courses in January 2016.

If you want more-depth info, please do email myself or Rosie on [email protected].

Have a great day :smile:

Leon (Rosie's replacement / underling) for the week.
Original post by Denzel123

Hi again Denzel, got some info about Smoke Radio for you!

Anystudent can get active in Smoke Radio, and as a journalism student it would bea great experience for yourself to get involved. There are opportunities to getinvolved in all aspects of Smoke Radio, including the chance to apply for theSmoke Radio news team. The link here shows what sort of roles there are. I would really recommend joining, as not only will it look good to employers, but you also get a chance to meet some really cool people, and even possibly celebrities (just last week one of our bloggers interviewed one half of UK Hip Hop/Grime duo Krept and Konan).If you need any more info just give us a shout :smile:

Leon
Original post by University of Westminster
Hi Raffy, I hope you are well!

Let me know if you have applied for a scholarship yet? If not, unfortunately you have missed the deadline for the 2015 scholarships.

The scholarships for September 2016 will be published on our website over the next few months, and there are actually a few scholarships available for students starting their courses in January 2016.

If you want more-depth info, please do email myself or Rosie on [email protected].

Have a great day :smile:

Leon (Rosie's replacement / underling) for the week.

Hello, Leon:

Yes, I'm well! I expect all is well with you.

I've applied to for the full undergraduate international scholarship for this fall, and I fear that I've become a bit pessimistic regarding my chances.

By this time, I would expect that the lucky applicants have heard back from the uni?

Kind regards
Raffy
Hey Raffy,

I'm good as well thanks.

The Scholarships Team are still working really hard going through all of the scholarships in precise detail, a decision should be made though in the next week or two.

They would tend to let successful candidates know first, because not everyone takes up a scholarship and they will want to be sure that they can offer the scholarship to someone else if it's freed up - but that's not a hard and fast rule. It's a bit of a waiting game now I'm afraid! Good luck with everything and get back in touch if you need anything else :smile:

Leon
Original post by O My Daise
Hi, I have received my unconditional offer from University of Westminster and I have 2 questions.
Firstly, would I be able to find out the first few modules I will be starting in September, as I am completely free at the moment I would like to get a head start so I can just do a bit of research myself, I will be studying Business Information System.

Secondly, I would like to know if first year students will be receiving bursaries, as other universities provide a good amount of bursaries to their students.

Thanks.

Hi there,

Firstly, congratulations on your unconditional offer!

I have emailed the course leader to see if I can get an up to date copy of the first modules that you would be studying. I do know that some of the modules in the first year in previous years for Business Information Systems have included 'Business Mathematics', 'Programming the Technology', 'Business Context', and 'Principles of Marketing'. It should be similar for this year but I will try get a definitive answer. Sounds like a definite plan to do some research before you begin your degree, get a head start on everyone else!

We do have a source of funding called the Westminster Additional Grants Scheme (which is more or less a type of bursary). If you click here, you will be able to find all the info, and there are also contact details for the Student Funding Department who can give you more advice.

Hope this helps and give us a shout back in you want to ask anything else :smile:

Leon
Reply 14
Hi Rosie,

First and foremost I would like to congratulate you on the commendable job you are doing.You are well Informed.Kudos!!!

I am going through the posts and i feel that my questions have well been answered.Though i need a clarification,I got an unconditional offer for international business management and opted to apply for the International scholarship.

My question is: is the course a competitive one,this will help me know where my chances stand.

Also Applied for Westminster Business School Excellence Scholarships as well as Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship.Could you please highlight the chances I have to get any of these scholarships owing to the fact that I am from a developing nation and have exemplary academic performance(First class Honours)
And do you have statistics of the past students whom have been awardees of this scholarship?Is preference given to African national or??

And sorry for the heavy questions.I tend to be talkative

Thanks
Kassim
Reply 15
Hi! I'm Rachel from the Philippines. I could not get a response through email so I'll try here.

I got an unconditional offer for Sept 2015 for MA Design for Communication. I also applied for scholarships, but haven't heard from them yet. (And at this rate I'm also feeling hopeless). Since I can't afford to study this Sept yet without a scholarship to support me, I thought of deferring the offer to next year Jan or Sept 2016. What is your deferment policy and requirements? How should I start going about it?

Thank you so much! :smile:
Hi Rosie, can you please give me information about trnsportation from Victoria Hall and rom Raffles house?
Original post by O My Daise
Hi, I have received my unconditional offer from University of Westminster and I have 2 questions.
Firstly, would I be able to find out the first few modules I will be starting in September, as I am completely free at the moment I would like to get a head start so I can just do a bit of research myself, I will be studying Business Information System.

Secondly, I would like to know if first year students will be receiving bursaries, as other universities provide a good amount of bursaries to their students.

Thanks.

Hiya,

Apologies for the late reply. I have found the modules that you will start with in September, they are as follows;
Communication and Learning Skills
Programming the Technology
Requirements Analysis
Business Information Systems Concepts 1

Leon
Original post by Kassed
Hi Rosie,

First and foremost I would like to congratulate you on the commendable job you are doing.You are well Informed.Kudos!!!

I am going through the posts and i feel that my questions have well been answered.Though i need a clarification,I got an unconditional offer for international business management and opted to apply for the International scholarship.

My question is: is the course a competitive one,this will help me know where my chances stand.

Also Applied for Westminster Business School Excellence Scholarships as well as Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarship.Could you please highlight the chances I have to get any of these scholarships owing to the fact that I am from a developing nation and have exemplary academic performance(First class Honours)
And do you have statistics of the past students whom have been awardees of this scholarship?Is preference given to African national or??

And sorry for the heavy questions.I tend to be talkative

Thanks
Kassim

hi kassim,

sorry for the late reply. i'll pass on to rosie your kind words when she is back!

the scholarships are very competitive and they will be given on merit (so no preference given to specific countries or continents, but as you said some scholarships are only open to students from developing countries). There are no available figures for past scholarships given out I can give. I know that a lot of people have already heard back from the scholarships team regarding their applications, so if you haven't heard back yet you should do within the next few days.

good luck! Leon
Original post by rache526
Hi! I'm Rachel from the Philippines. I could not get a response through email so I'll try here.

I got an unconditional offer for Sept 2015 for MA Design for Communication. I also applied for scholarships, but haven't heard from them yet. (And at this rate I'm also feeling hopeless). Since I can't afford to study this Sept yet without a scholarship to support me, I thought of deferring the offer to next year Jan or Sept 2016. What is your deferment policy and requirements? How should I start going about it?

Thank you so much! :smile:

Hi Rachel, apologies for the late reply.

Firstly, congrats on your offer! I know that a large number of applicants have heard back from the scholarships team with an answer, so if you haven't heard back yet you should hear from them within the next few days.

It is possible sometimes to defer. On your offer letter it should have the contact details for the Admissions officer who made you the offer. if you contact them, they will be able to advise you.

Good luck and have a great day!

Leon

Quick Reply

Latest