jyuen710
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am offered a choice between doing D1 or M1 along with C3 and C4 on my A2 year, i do NOT take physics, would M1 be really difficult and which would be a better decision??
mattyd375
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
ive not done m1 yet but d1 was the worst module ive done this year its so boring
Dancatpro
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Well m1 is better for physics and d1 is better for computing.

If you aren't taking either physics/computing, I would strongly recommend mechanics as it seems like the most applicable to daily life and other subjects!

EDIT: also, D1 is horrible module, extremely easy so all the grade boundaries are so high and 1 small mistake can cost you a grade
Orkryx
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Do both! Do M1 at school, and learn D1 in your spare time. D1 is very easy to learn from YouTube videos and a textbook. In addition, if you have a bad day for one of them (if you are sitting both) then it won't impact your overall grade. D1 is a good "safety net" module - I taught it to myself and it has taken a lot of stress away from my other non-core maths exams knowing that if I mess one of them up then it is OK!
StarvingAutist
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
M1 is far more interesting than D1.
Alex McGrath
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
M1 is more difficult than D1 but it is probably more interesting also, D1 is mostly just algorithms whereas M1 usually requires a bit more thinking. If you were more concerned about getting a higher grade then I would probably choose D1 but thats just me
crashMATHS
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
M1 is great if you love algebraic maths and physics, I guess.

D1 is great if you love to think.

I took M1 and D1 this year and I have to say, I loved D1! Although people say it's an easy module and it's not very mathematical, there's a lot more to the module, but more importantly, the algorithms are well fun (in my opinion anyways)!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thinking_Aloud
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
D1 is easier to learn, but harder to get right in exams as you have to be accurate in every little detail.
M1 is harder, but allows more room to manoeuvre and is a lot more interesting.
I found that M1 was more about problem solving and thinking creatively, while D1 was more logical and more about real world problems.
It depends, if you want a challenge do M1 (you won't be disadvantaged by not doing physics), if you like being precise, try D1.
mik1a
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
D1 is, in theory, a really interesting module. It seeks to answer problems like "what is the fastest way to do a paper round?", which is very different from maths up to this point. The answer is to use algorithms, but unfortunately the module is examined by actually making you learn the algorithms and recite them manually in the exam. I think this sort of misses the point, as the computer would normally do this part in the real world. Think of it as a crude introduction to mathematical computing.

I have gone on to study mathematics at university and can't say I've used any of what I learnt in D1.

On the other hand, M1 is much closer to what you already know. It's dealing with kinetics and forces if simple objects: "a block rests on an inclined plane: what is the acceleration of the block down the plane?". If you know trigonometry and are happy with a few equations, then it will come naturally. If you haven't done physics since GCSE, then think back to how you felt when studying it then. If you enjoyed it, M1 will be fine. If you hated it, M1 will not be fine. Physics exams often have the mathematics sucked out of them: M1 is the remedy!

Maybe telling us what you plan to do afterwards will help?
username1763791
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Why not both?

Seriously though, I would just listen to these guys saying M1~ even if you didn't like physics at GCSE, you'll be fine. I hated GCSE Physics and I sat M1 this year, and it was pretty easy, and I may have been able t scrape full marks , and to be honest, once you get the hang of it, it's actually quite fun.
Bobjim12
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
D1 is easy but its very abstract compared to other modules, haven't heard many that enjoy it but it will be an easy exam if you stick with it.

M1 is a lot more interesting and a lot more mathematical that has a slightly harder approach to questions than m1, physics helps you understand some rules about the motion being questioned, you'll just have to learn it for m1 anyway.
cbartlett
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I've just finished D1. It's a relatively simple module, and mainly just consists of remembering and applying algorithms. There's nothing horribly new to it

BUT

D1 does have a huge downside in exams. In D1, it is far easier to make a mistake within your method, and when you finish working through your method, those mistakes don't always give a horrible answer, so you may not even know you made the mistake! (By which i mean, in Core maths, if you make a mistake, your answer will usually be a bit weird. And you can see it's wrong. Not always the case with D1)!

If you do computing. I can highly recommend this! Certain algorithms can be extremely useful (Since Prim's algorithm works on a matrix, programming this is easy!), but more importantly, the two subjects really support eachother well! Pseudo-code in Computing and Algorithms in D1 are almost identical, plus, programmers tend to be very logically minded, so tend to find it easier to think in D1.

I can't say much about M1. You'll need to ask another person. But from what i gather. This is closer to "pure" maths, wherein you'll be dealing with forces. So this compliments Physics really well!
asi97
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
If you struggle with timing then M1 is a better option
DeleAlli14
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
bro dont ruin your life keep away from mechanics and do d1
username1407589
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I can only give you my experience, and that is:

M1 = Frustrating at times with some questions. Put in the work and you'll get an A.
D1 = I started revision for this last year 1 week before the exam. Came out with an A. Very minimal amount of work required. I don't suggest you do this. D1 is cool if you want do CS at uni, most of the Mathematics is very similar.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (61)
15.76%
The paper was reasonable (190)
49.1%
Not feeling great about that exam... (97)
25.06%
It was TERRIBLE (39)
10.08%

Watched Threads