The Student Room Logo

Bumps, Blades, and Bowballs- Cambridge Boatie Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1600
Have to admit, I used to be one of those people. As part of some rehab after some serious injuries I remember sitting on an erg in my gym and aiming to do 2.30 splits at rate 30 for 2k. I look back on my muppet self with shame.
Reply 1601
I really am pretty unfit, only managed one 30 min @ r20 - will hopefully be able to comfortably knock out 2 x 30 by the end of the week, two weeks of constant boozing are really not conducive to fitness. Going swimming sculling tomorrow for the second time in my life.
Reply 1602
Anyone know any decent core workout routines?
Reply 1603
Scipio90
Anyone know any decent core workout routines?

front hold side hold side hold front hold side hold side hold front hold side hold side hold front hold side hold side hold front hold side hold side hold.

take 10s between sets. do not give up. takes 12 minutes. repeat every other day.

abs of steel here we come.
Reply 1604
When you say front/side do you mean plank and then alternate between the side planks (or whatever they're called)?
Reply 1605
My friend has one that takes 1-2 hours.. but that includes exercises for the swiss ball. Hilarious to watch.
Reply 1606
Cantab
When you say front/side do you mean plank and then alternate between the side planks (or whatever they're called)?

yes.

there's very little point in dynamic (i.e. non-fixed) movement like situps for rowing, since in the boat you want to be strong all the time. for the lower back, deadlift. but you should all be deadlifting anyway.

just got back from 3x25min on the rowperfect, sitting on the balcony in the sun. was great. two scullers from fitz kept going by. thought one might be cantab. but evidently from the time on the above post, it wasn't.
Reply 1607
Chewwy
there's very little point in dynamic (i.e. non-fixed) movement like situps for rowing, since in the boat you want to be strong all the time.

Hmm, makes sense. What sort of time for each set? dividing 12 minutes by the amount there suggests 30-40 seconds + rest, is that right?

Only been on a rowperfect once for some technical stuff. Felt weird - wouldn;t like to be on one for a long period of time.
Reply 1608
Scipio90
Hmm, makes sense. What sort of time for each set? dividing 12 minutes by the amount there suggests 30-40 seconds + rest, is that right?

Only been on a rowperfect once for some technical stuff. Felt weird - wouldn;t like to be on one for a long period of time.

oh, whoops. 1min front, 30s side.
Reply 1609
Chewwy
two scullers from fitz kept going by. thought one might be cantab. but evidently from the time on the above post, it wasn't.

One was actually, I was the particularly spacky one in the Janny (wearing leggings and not wearing sunglasses). Was only my second time sculling (the other one was September), so it was a bit shaky for a bit and hard to get the hang of, managed to not fall in though, so bonus there. Did have one very near miss getting out at the end.
Reply 1610
Chewwy
30 min side.

hardcore :p:

Hmm, thanks, will give it a go.
Reply 1611
Scipio90
hardcore :p:

lol, i am an idiot.
Reply 1612
Cantab
One was actually, I was the particularly spacky one in the Janny (wearing leggings and not wearing sunglasses). Was only my second time sculling (the other one was September), so it was a bit shaky for a bit and hard to get the hang of, managed to not fall in though, so bonus there. Did have one very near miss getting out at the end.

ah, cool. Yeah, i did go "haha, look at that fool wearing leggings".

in my head.

I was also pretty amused how your coach seemed to be some kind of soldier.
I just went sculling for the first time and didn't get wet :biggrin: I rather enjoyed it actually...
Reply 1614
groovy_moose
I just went sculling for the first time and didn't get wet :biggrin: I rather enjoyed it actually...

ah, yes. i'll pretend i saw you.

just got back from boathouse. 5 hours after getting there this morning.
Chewwy
ah, yes. i'll pretend i saw you.

just got back from boathouse. 5 hours after getting there this morning.

Pah. Try leaving for an outing at 7:30 am, and then being on the river until 5pm. :p:
Reply 1616
i'm going.
Reply 1617
that was fun.
Reply 1618
Anyone know how the cambridge crews did today?
Reply 1619
Scipio90
Anyone know how the cambridge crews did today?

yes. look on the website.

http://www.henleyboatraces.com/results.asp

Quick Reply