INeedAJob1999
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I don't really think I need a job personally, my parents are forcing me to get a job. As a very shy 16 year old I am worried I will really struggle to get a job as I my parents are both extroverts and don't understand me being shy. I have a small city centre near me and a high street. I was thinking of only applying for jobs in shops that I like, but I think this won't work as there will be very few job opportunities. How do I go about finding a job? I saw the post for 15 year olds, but I want to see if the situation change when you reach 16. I have read the posts regarding where to search online and such. I guess what I am asking is how do I go about getting a job?
nottreece
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When I was 16 I applied for Primark and they offered me a job. The application and interview process if very simple and easy so it isnt to difficult. This was just a temporary job to get me some experience so I could move onto another company and it managed to do that for me.

Hope This helps
Fanta4TheBanter
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by INeedAJob1999)
Hi, I don't really think I need a job personally, my parents are forcing me to get a job. As a very shy 16 year old I am worried I will really struggle to get a job as I my parents are both extroverts and don't understand me being shy. I have a small city centre near me and a high street. I was thinking of only applying for jobs in shops that I like, but I think this won't work as there will be very few job opportunities. How do I go about finding a job? I saw the post for 15 year olds, but I want to see if the situation change when you reach 16. I have read the posts regarding where to search online and such. I guess what I am asking is how do I go about getting a job?

If you know what you want to do career-wise, or have a rough idea, try getting some work experience at a company that works in that field. If you are enthusiastic/ get on well doing the work experience, they may offer you a job.
username1356366
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi

When I was 15 I got a job in a café, so I'm sure they'll take a 16 year old on for weekends or evenings It's good because you gain skills in serving / taking orders etc, and the pay would be a lot better than what I got at 15! Also, you're working as part of a team, so hopefully you'll become less shy in your new job
However, I've been looking for a job for a while at 16 (after I left the café job when it closed) and the experience has helped, except I've found no places will give you a job if part of the serving includes wine - as only 18 year olds and above can serve alcohol and the staff don't want a waiter who can't serve everything.
With regards to shops, they tend to want 16 year olds during November / Christmas season - very few shops at the moment are looking for part time workers. I'm going to wait until September when they officially release all of the Christmas job applications. To get a form you either go into the shop and ask for one, or look online (although this has limited the opportunities as they are not looking for people yet) As well, if the Christmas job goes well you could always stay on, as the training which you get from it could still be used

Summary - Write a letter saying how old you are and which school you're at, then say how you'd like a job there. Carry on and say what's good about yourself (focused, reliable etc) and drop it in to the manager. If possible, give it to the manager themselves - when I was 15 out of the 4 letters I gave out, only one was to the manager themselves and that was the only one that I got a reply for. Finally, if you do drop it in, be prepared to chat to the manager if they are free - I had an interview sprung upon me when I gave the café manager my letter. So, look presentable and wear a big smile

Hope this has helped

Mo

EDIT: Both my parents are very extroverted as well, however my sister was quite shy at 14 / 15. She got a job as a waitress, and she has said it's really helped her with the experience she has gained (so she can get another similar job and talk about skills etc)
amy099_099
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey I need a job to make some money, even though it will be a little amount it's still better than nothing. I also need some ecperience. Anyone have any advice and can give me some help on a CV? lots of love xxx
sdotd
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
indeed.co.uk
bassbabe
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Join the queue
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hand in your CV in to everywhere that will accept it. Also some places require you to apply online (such as mcdonalds, asda, etc). So thats worth looking into.
Mcdonalds take on a lot of students so thats worth a try.
Dont worry about being shy. Once you have started and get into the swing of it and meet new people, you should be fine.
RevisionNad
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
everything is online now so look at retailers or companies online and see what their recruitment process is. Also, maybe talk to your parents about how you feel- if you're not going to be happy working now then maybe you're not going to enjoy your job.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (889)
42.72%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.89%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed