whats chemistry like compared to gcse?

Watch
youreanutter
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
As im only predicted an A and an A in maths so i wanna know if i am capable or not
jshep000
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Chem AS level is 10x harder than GCSE. Our teacher who is teaching us induction for A2 chemistry, even said A2 chem is easier than AS. So yeah if thats any indication, take a look at some chemistry AS past papers and see for yourself. Obviously they will be hard because you won't have been taught the information yet, but it's a better indication than none
Lannew1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Its definately a learning curve, theres a lot more content and application, one of the biggest differences is not only is it harder topics but the grade boundries are very high. But with an A if u put in hard work you could do it.
youreanutter
Rep:
?
(Original post by jshep000)
Chem AS level is 10x harder than GCSE. Our teacher who is teaching us induction for A2 chemistry, even said A2 chem is easier than AS. So yeah if thats any indication, take a look at some chemistry AS past papers and see for yourself. Obviously they will be hard because you won't have been taught the information yet, but it's a better indication than none
how are u findingit and
what dud u getat gcse and what are u getting/on track4 now and what do u plan to do at uni btw
izpenguin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It is quite a bit harder than GCSE- there are a lot of tricky concepts to understand.
But if you work hard, revise a lot and ask for help when you need it you should have a great chance of doing well.
I got an A* at GCSE, an A at AS and I'm hoping for an A/A* at A level.
InadequateJusticex
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That is BS.. There is nothing difficult about AS, whereas A2 will have topics that you will need time to grasp such as NMR.

OP, don't worry, the maths in A level chemistry is shocking. And in terms of content, as long as you put the work in you should be fine - there is a lot of application though, unlike many other subjects.
Don Pedro K.
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey there

Some background info: I got 314/320 UMS on chemistry GCSE (Edexcel). I recently finished my As exams, and I did chemistry also.

It is true what people say; As level chemistry is a lot harder than GCSE; at GCSE, you probably found you could (although you really shouldn't) read over the CGP and do some revision and bang: you got an A*. However, at As, you really have to *understand* what you are being taught. I don't know about any other exam boards, but for Edexcel As especially in unit 2 (second of two units), you have to be able to APPLY your knowledge to a lot of situations, some of which might be kinda weird!

I personally did not find chemistry as atrocious as some teachers made it out to be, but I believe that the reason for this was that I worked hard *throughout* the year (especially towards exams); this is something that is essential for ALL As levels but especially chemistry, in my opinion, because I think the step up from GCSE is definitely the largest in chemistry.

We can't tell you if you're capable of doing it or not; it's up to you - if you put in the work and believe that you are capable, then you will do well
Azula
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Don Pedro K.)
Hey there

Some background info: I got 314/320 UMS on chemistry GCSE (Edexcel). I recently finished my As exams, and I did chemistry also.

It is true what people say; As level chemistry is a lot harder than GCSE; at GCSE, you probably found you could (although you really shouldn't) read over the CGP and do some revision and bang: you got an A*. However, at As, you really have to *understand* what you are being taught. I don't know about any other exam boards, but for Edexcel As especially in unit 2 (second of two units), you have to be able to APPLY your knowledge to a lot of situations, some of which might be kinda weird!

I personally did not find chemistry as atrocious as some teachers made it out to be, but I believe that the reason for this was that I worked hard *throughout* the year (especially towards exams); this is something that is essential for ALL As levels but especially chemistry, in my opinion, because I think the step up from GCSE is definitely the largest in chemistry.

We can't tell you if you're capable of doing it or not; it's up to you - if you put in the work and believe that you are capable, then you will do well
I think the cgp guide for as level chemistry is good tbh
spiritless98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes an A grade is good.
But A level chemistry (you won't feel it initially as unit 1 is very much like GCSEs) but as you carry on it does get slightly harder
The actual content is not difficult
It's just those weird questions that are very different to past papers that are thrown into your actual exam
And you just feel like giving up lol
But overall one thing I'd recommend you to do
Is do all the past papers new and old spec
And try one or two from other specifications just to get a feel of the different kinds of questions that can come up because
OCR do throw in really weird questions
Which need a lot of thought and time which just isn't available in exams
But it's possible
So take it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by youreanutter)
As im only predicted an A and an A in maths so i wanna know if i am capable or not
You should be fine. The difference is that you can't blag A-level but with enough smarts, you can blag GCSE. There's a lot of information to learn in A-level crammed into 2 years, so in my experience, some GCSE A* students end up getting B/C at A-level and you have some who get Bs in GCSE who actually overachieve at A-level because they worked harder and they actually enjoyed the subject.

TL;DR: Your GCSE predicted grade isn't a clear-cut indicator on how well you'd do at A-level. Hard work and interest in your subject also factor in massively.
Pharmaboy97
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I personally found the jump from GCSE to A Level quite hard. Achieving an A* at GCSE was pretty simple as you just regurgitate what you read in the revision guide, however in A Level the application in tandem with the specificity of the answers make it harder. Past papers and fully understanding the concepts are the key to getting a high grade at A Level. The concepts are harder to grasp as some previous knowledge gets thrown out the window and some is built on. But the move from AS to A2 is easier as you'll be used to the typing learning that required and how to grasp the content.
Spoiler:
Show

If you do edexcel, unit 5 will kill all your dreams and aspirations
C0balt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Concepts involved in AS chemistry are not that hard. Hess cycle and gas volume calculations seem to cause many problems from what I saw by actively helping in the AS Chemistry thread, but once you get it you can do any question - unlike maths the difficulty doesn't vary much between questions.
The hardest part of AS chemistry is that the learning curve is very, very steep compared to GCSE. You have to keep on top of the game or you will fall further and further behind because in chemistry every topic is connected in some ways. However as long as you stay organised you should be fine.
youreanutter
Rep:
?
thanks for replies everyone
(Original post by spiritless98)
Yes an A grade is good.
But A level chemistry (you won't feel it initially as unit 1 is very much like GCSEs) but as you carry on it does get slightly harder
The actual content is not difficult
It's just those weird questions that are very different to past papers that are thrown into your actual exam
And you just feel like giving up lol
But overall one thing I'd recommend you to do
Is do all the past papers new and old spec
And try one or two from other specifications just to get a feel of the different kinds of questions that can come up because
OCR do throw in really weird questions
Which need a lot of thought and time which just isn't available in exams
But it's possible
So take it

Posted from TSR Mobile
i dont understand what is meant by apply and wowwww u done really good at gcse tho no wonder its not too hard 4 u as im only predicted an A so hopefully i will get it but idk what else to do as im predicted As in science A* in maths and b/cs in everything else so im really considering chemistry
jshep000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by InadequateJusticex)
That is BS.. There is nothing difficult about AS, whereas A2 will have topics that you will need time to grasp such as NMR.

OP, don't worry, the maths in A level chemistry is shocking. And in terms of content, as long as you put the work in you should be fine - there is a lot of application though, unlike many other subjects.
How is it "bs". Please do enlighten me, as it isn't even MY opinion. It is my teacher who has over 20+ years experience of teaching A level chemistry. So I would love to know what you have to justify your statement.
ThatPerson
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A2 Chem is not easier than AS. It only gets harder. As well as the usual understanding there is an incredible amount of memorisation involved. For AQA at least in Unit 4 you need to memorise all of the reagents, mechanisms and reaction routes, as well as all of the analytical chemistry. For Unit 5 there are a lot of definitions to learn and about ~40 different colours to learn for ions, and finally there are the reactions which also need to be learnt.

I got through AS Chemistry with minimal revision (literally only revised in the days directly before the exam), and have just about done it at A2 with intense cramming, but it is certainly not easy.
Fanta4TheBanter
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
GCSE easier than AS. AS easier than A2.
Don Pedro K.
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Azula)
I think the cgp guide for as level chemistry is good tbh
Yeah I agree but I mean you can't rely SOLELY on it like you could with GCSE
Brownclown
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I will say this to you now: if chemistry is not required for your university application DO NOT DO IT
oliviagb
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A level Chemistry is easy. It's just like riding a bike. Except the bike is on fire and you're on fire and everything is on fire and you're in hell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
InadequateJusticex
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How is it "bs". Please do enlighten me, as it isn't even MY opinion. It is my teacher who has over 20+ years experience of teaching A level chemistry. So I would love to know what you have to justify your statement.
I know many teachers back in my school who had years and years of experience, doesn't mean ****. Some still couldn't teach. You wouldn't know, you haven't even done A2. I do chemistry at university so I know what I'm talking about. You learn retrosynthesis in A2, which is on a completely new level to the organic chemistry you do in AS. AS calculations are pathetic, the hardest equation you need to know is moles and Hess' Law. For A2 you have redox titrations and all that jazz. So stop getting butthurt just because someone didn't agree about what your teacher says :lol:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.32%
I'm not sure (3)
2.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (41)
32.28%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.36%
I'm not a current university student (58)
45.67%

Watched Threads