The Student Room Group

whats physics like compared to gcse

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I see a lot of people say you have to read around your a level subject but I still don't understand how that helps if there is a set syllabus that you will be tested on?
The jump is fairly huge, I'd say. I got an A* at GCSE, and thinking I could handle AS Physics, I continue with it. Unfortunately, I found it very difficult (becomes I'm naturally bad at maths haha) and ended up with a 'D' at AS. I dropped Physics and carried on with my other subjects, which I had done well at :smile:
Reply 22
compared to all the other sciences, Physics is by far the easiest one, I mean mostly at AS I felt the topics were all just like the GCSE ones... sure the exams had weird asterisk explanation questions which had answers which nobody's brain could even consider, but still....
Original post by A84
compared to all the other sciences, Physics is by far the easiest one, I mean mostly at AS I felt the topics were all just like the GCSE ones... sure the exams had weird asterisk explanation questions which had answers which nobody's brain could even consider, but still....

really ?what else did u do thenand
how are u findingit and what did u get at gcse and what are u getting/on track4 now and what do u plan to do at uni btw
Original post by ismailjan3
The jump is fairly huge, I'd say. I got an A* at GCSE, and thinking I could handle AS Physics, I continue with it. Unfortunately, I found it very difficult (becomes I'm naturally bad at maths haha) and ended up with a 'D' at AS. I dropped Physics and carried on with my other subjects, which I had done well at :smile:

A* to a D!whatexam board?,what others do u do and how do they compare and what did u get in gcse for them and what are u on course for now
and are there others like u
Reply 25
Original post by youreanutter
really ?what else did u do thenand
how are u findingit and what did u get at gcse and what are u getting/on track4 now and what do u plan to do at uni btw

what else u mean other subs im studying at AS? im doing the 3 sciences and English Language... like I said, I found at AS physics to be the easiest in terms of studying and getting grasp of the knowledge etc... I got a B in O level Physics, and im done with AS exams for Physics, and according to some model ans, I do expect an A. I plan to go for Medicine.
Reply 26
physics at AS level was not much harder than at GCSE, in fact it was easier for me because literally everything which you are taught is backed up by an equation so you can really understand whats going on by breaking the equation down.
Original post by A84
what else u mean other subs im studying at AS? im doing the 3 sciences and English Language... like I said, I found at AS physics to be the easiest in terms of studying and getting grasp of the knowledge etc... I got a B in O level Physics, and im done with AS exams for Physics, and according to some model ans, I do expect an A. I plan to go for Medicine.

My GCSE/AS exam board for physics was AQA. Honestly, I feel as if everyone struggled with physics in year 12 BUT those who genuinely enjoyed physics and were actually passionate about it did really, really well.

I carried on with Biology, Chemistry and English Literature (I plan on going into the biosciences). I enjoyed these subjects a lot more than physics so naturally did better in them.

Good luck with your future plans :smile:
I found A level physics decidedly tricky at times, I will be honest. However, in hindsight, I think that is because it wasn't as theoretical as I was hoping it would be. I felt laboured by terminology, by 'structured' exam answers, by having to write a specific number of significant figures - the list goes on.

Indeed, for me, the scientific method is what hindered me; I felt it lacked a certain mathematical rigour. Nonetheless, remember that that is just my opinion. If you think you would enjoy learning in breadth rather than depth, then it definitely could be for you, especially if you already have a vested interest in physics. In this regard, I wouldn't say it is extremely different from GCSE level physics in terms of style, but it is definitely a step up in terms of difficulty as I recall vividly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by ismailjan3
My GCSE/AS exam board for physics was AQA. Honestly, I feel as if everyone struggled with physics in year 12 BUT those who genuinely enjoyed physics and were actually passionate about it did really, really well.

I carried on with Biology, Chemistry and English Literature (I plan on going into the biosciences). I enjoyed these subjects a lot more than physics so naturally did better in them.

Good luck with your future plans :smile:

oh. I did my O levels from CIE, and AS from Edexcel and Edexcel Physics is easy like I said... u r right bout the enjoying part. At O levels, in class, because of some very hard tests etc. I used to be on the D grade but my teacher used to say that I would get an A still... I used to hate physics at O levels as I was barely passing it, but once I starting to show attention towards it everything changed, and yes, if u find something harder than the others, u should focus and pay more attention to that... That's gr8 ur chosen subjects and biosciences looks a gr8 choice for someone who doesn't like physics/maths (I am not a fan of maths at all) Good Luck to you too :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by Aladino
I see a lot of people say you have to read around your a level subject but I still don't understand how that helps if there is a set syllabus that you will be tested on?

that's because most of the times, a single textbook does not at all have the depth already stated in the syllabus. For instance, the AS physics from Edexcel, the book was so brief and it was hard work researching and using other sources to at least do what the specification wanted me to know at the point. Basically, at A Levels, research skills r stressed on, so u r also ready for higher university levels... also, the depth reading and all opens ur mind and besides, at A levels, u cant expect to be spoon-fed the knowledge :P
Physics was my best subject at GCSE but it's my worst at A-level, at the beginning of AS I was getting Es and Ds. I worked really really freaking hard and was getting As by the end of the year. It's just a big jump from GCSE that people don't expect and it requires so much work.
Hopefully my results will be good! haha
Original post by youreanutter
As im only predicted an A and an A in maths so i wanna know if i am capable or not..

It's just as easy. A breeze of an A level. So is maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest