RoyaIBIue
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi everybody,
I'm from Germany and I have to present a famous common law criminal case in a course next week.Could you propose some interesting cases to me or tell me where I can find some?

I have already read through the following cases:
R v Blaue(1975)
R v Woolin(1998)
R v Brown(1994)
R v Dudley and Stephens(1884)
Re A(conjoined twins(2001)
West Memphis Three(1993)
Miranda v Arizona(1966) or similar Berghuis v. Thompkins

I think I find the marked one's the most interesting so far, but I cannot decide on which one I like best.

I would really appreciate any kind of help. Thank you.

I cannot use the People v Jack Kevorkian Case, the O.J. Simpson case or the Ethan Patz trial hence they already have been presented. Death Penalty cases are also not allowed.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RoyaIBIue)
Hi everybody,
I'm from Germany and I have to present a famous common law criminal case in a course next week.Could you propose some interesting cases to me or tell me where I can find some? I have already read through the following cases:R v Blaue(1975)R v Woolin(1998)R v Brown(1994)R v Dudley and Stephens(1884)Re A(conjoined twins(2001)West Memphis Three(1993)Miranda v Arizona(1966) or similar Berghuis v. ThompkinsI think I find the marked one's the most interesting so far, but I cannot decide on which one I like best.I would really appreciate any kind of help. Thank you.I cannot use the People v Jack Kevorkian Case, the O.J. Simpson case or the Ethan Patz trial hence they already have been presented. Death Penalty cases are also not allowed.
Re A was not a criminal case.

R v Dudley & Stephens even for its time followed an unusual legal procedure. Also, it is so old that it is missing one of the key features of a modern criminal case, the court room cross-examination of the defendant by the prosecuting barrister. Dudley & Stephens was a death penalty case those both were reprieved and served only 6 months in prison.

What are you trying to show?
RoyaIBIue
Rep:
?
I thought the question if the operation would be lawful has to be considered under criminal law. while the question what was in the best interests of the twins had to be considered under family law.
Could you explain why it isn't a criminal case - I don't no that much about the Common Law Legal System yet.
http://sixthformlaw.info/02_cases/mod3a/index.htm
On this website it's under "Cases for Criminal Law"(Cases - murder - mens rea)

As long as the death sentence was not given, this is not a problem I think.
Still you are right in saying that the case is really old and I would like to have a more actual case - so R v Dudley and Stephens will not be my choice - and the twins case neither.

I am looking for a Common Law Criminal Case that is famous - either for being spectacular or for its precedential value.
The case also shouldn't be overly long or complicated since I have ONLY 15 minutes to present the case.
I also read about the Treyvon Martin case(American stand your ground right) and the Oscar Pistorius case - but I think these are so famous that everybody heard about them - so that would be too boring.
Do you have any cases in mind that would suit better to my task? And what do you think about R v Blaue?
RoyaIBIue
Rep:
?
Nobody?
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RoyaIBIue)
I thought the question if the operation would be lawful has to be considered under criminal law. while the question what was in the best interests of the twins had to be considered under family law.
Could you explain why it isn't a criminal case - I don't no that much about the Common Law Legal System yet.
http://sixthformlaw.info/02_cases/mod3a/index.htm
On this website it's under "Cases for Criminal Law"(Cases - murder - mens rea)
Re A was a civil case for a declaration that separating the twins wouldn't be a crime if it was done. If the case had gone the other way, the twins wouldn't have been separated.

As long as the death sentence was not given, this is not a problem I think.
Still you are right in saying that the case is really old and I would like to have a more actual case - so R v Dudley and Stephens will not be my choice - and the twins case neither.

I am looking for a Common Law Criminal Case that is famous - either for being spectacular or for its precedential value.
The case also shouldn't be overly long or complicated since I have ONLY 15 minutes to present the case.
I also read about the Treyvon Martin case(American stand your ground right) and the Oscar Pistorius case - but I think these are so famous that everybody heard about them - so that would be too boring.
Do you have any cases in mind that would suit better to my task? And what do you think about R v Blaue?
R v Blaue would be fine.

Another one would be

Woolmington v DPP
RoyaIBIue
Rep:
?
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Re A was a civil case for a declaration that separating the twins wouldn't be a crime if it was done. If the case had gone the other way, the twins wouldn't have been separated.

R v Blaue would be fine.

Another one would be

Woolmington v DPP
Woolmington v DPP seems so be exactly what I have been looking for - thanks a lot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.32%
I'm not sure (3)
2.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (41)
32.28%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.36%
I'm not a current university student (58)
45.67%

Watched Threads