The Student Room Group

Young Economist of the Year! 2015

Anyone entering the competition this year? Deadline's the end of this month,
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

I am entering this! what title are you writing? :smile:
Original post by gozzabomb
I am entering this! what title are you writing? :smile:

Talking about the gap between the rich and the poor and how it affects growth. Yourself? :smile:
that was going to be my second choice! what have you talked about so far? (have you finished yours?)

Im writing about whether raising GDP should be the primary objective of economic policy!
that was going to be my second choice! what have you talked about so far? (have you finished yours?)

Im writing about whether raising GDP should be the primary objective of economic policy!

Unfortunately I have yet to delve fully into it - I still have one final exam (this Wednesday) that I want to get out of the way. This leaves me with 13 days to knuckle down and put my ideas to paper. In terms of what I've spoken about, or should I say, plan to speak about - I've been gathering a copious amount of research sources and incorporating them in my plan (e.g. Use of Gini's coefficient and real world data on nation's with a high gap between rich and poor, such as Zimbabwe).

How about you?
I see yeah. I presume you're in your A2 year? That sounds like a good plan! Although its not completely related to your topic, I would suggest looking up on the work Richard Wilkinson has done- he has a lot of interesting data, papers and other interesting things to talk about (particularly the social outcomes due to inequality within a nation), just a suggestion :smile:

I have gotten about a 1/3 of the way through and am somewhat on the same situation.
I see yeah. I presume you're in your A2 year? That sounds like a good plan! Although its not completely related to your topic, I would suggest looking up on the work Richard Wilkinson has done- he has a lot of interesting data, papers and other interesting things to talk about (particularly the social outcomes due to inequality within a nation), just a suggestion :smile:

I have gotten about a 1/3 of the way through and am somewhat on the same situation.

I'll give them a look, thanks for the heads up. Did you manage to look at the essays of previous winners? Some look incredibly impressive and others look mediocre but somehow managed to get to the short-list. I just hope there is a solid marking criterion for this so that each essay is weighted in a similar fashion.
Yeah I have read quite a few of them! some of them are just outstanding, the depth and presentation of the knowledge is incredible. I'm a little intimidated by the number of entries but I'd love to at least be in that list of "highly commendable essays" or whatever it's called. Yeah same, also worried mine might just get skim read and not really noticed! what year are you in?
Yeah I have read quite a few of them! some of them are just outstanding, the depth and presentation of the knowledge is incredible. I'm a little intimidated by the number of entries but I'd love to at least be in that list of "highly commendable essays" or whatever it's called. Yeah same, also worried mine might just get skim read and not really noticed! what year are you in?

End of year 12, entering year 13. You? :smile:
nice! where are you applying? awkward moment I'm only a year 10 entering 11....
nice! where are you applying? awkward moment I'm only a year 10 entering 11....

:rofl: I didn't even realise - That's pretty impressive to be doing it from year 10 - I didn't even know what I wanted to do at year 11.

I'm planning to apply to: Warwick, UCL, Nottingham, KCL & Cambridge.

You got any ideas what you want to apply for?
My investment banker uncle started teaching me economics from about year 8 and I've never thought of anything else since! :biggrin: what were your gcse grades like btw?

wow thats a really nice set! why not LSE if you dont mind me asking?

straight econ I'm thinking, lse, cambridge, warwick, ucl sounds really good! the new a levels are so so confusing though :/

Quick Reply

Latest