The Student Room Group

OCR Gateway GCSE Biology B B4 B5 B6 (12th June 2015)

use this thread to say how you're feeling about the exam before and after! bet everyone's looking forward to good old section d:wink:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm dreading this exam tbh. But I don't think it'll be as hard as it seems (hopefully I won't regret saying that :redface:)

My predictions
- something to do with quadrats/estimating population size/transects
- intensive farming
- blood donations/groups
- diffusion thrown in somewhere
- transpiration? comes up quite a lot
- Pasteur/Fleming/Lister etc.
- aseptic technique
- making yoghurt/beer
- life in water
- DNA fingerprinting

Good luck everyone! :smile:
Reply 2
Section D is a piece of cake, you get given all the information and only need to describe graph patterns :smile::smile:

B6 is probably the hardest with genetic engineering, brewing, diseases and enzymes all potential big questions. :frown:

Also, something about asthma/breathing will probably come up again and diffusion is very popular.
Reply 3
I am honestly SO terrified, i didn't do well in the B1 B2 B3 exam so it is like VITAL that I do well in tomorrow's! Pulling an al night er tonight!😓
Original post by hatexams
I am honestly SO terrified, i didn't do well in the B1 B2 B3 exam so it is like VITAL that I do well in tomorrow's! Pulling an al night er tonight!😓

Bad idea. You'll only do worse that way
Reply 5
I didn't like that!!! Btw did anyone else get 1. 51 for the index 6 mark Q! And what was the Q on osmosis????
Just got back from doing the B4,B5,B6 exam. Personally I found it alright. What did you all think of it? And what do you think the grade boundaries will be like?
Yes I got 1.51 and so did many people in my class for the B4 six mark.
Original post by xxNerdyBirdyxx
Yes I got 1.51 and so did many people in my class for the B4 six mark.

I mean B5 lol
Reply 9
Original post by MissPlaying
Bad idea. You'll only do worse that way

I had no choice and besides I had 3 modules to complete . I appreciate your response tho :colondollar: my mate just said that, I sounded quite sarcastic then, I don't intend for that tho
Original post by hatexams
I didn't like that!!! Btw did anyone else get 1. 51 for the index 6 mark Q! And what was the Q on osmosis????

The question on osmosis was about how the process acts on the inside and outside cells of the plant trap. I wrote about how water was lost from the inside cells by osmosis, making those cells flaccid. And I followed that up with mentioning the outside cells took up that water (also by osmosis) to become turgid. That's how the trap closes....
Just got back from doing the B4,B5,B6 exam. Personally I found it alright. What answers did you guys get for the questions? And what do you think the grade boundaries will be like??
Reply 12
For the index question, did 1.5 fit into both healthy and not healthy
Original post by blurred
For the index question, did 1.5 fit into both healthy and not healthy

Yes, however, I wrote that he was more likely to get heart disease as it fit better into that catergory.
Just got back from doing the B4,B5,B6 exam. Personally I found it alright. What answers did you guys get for the questions? And what do you think the grade boundaries will be like??

PRAYING for low grade boundaries!!! idk why but i thought that this years paper was kinda different to the previous years, both of B1 B2 B3 and for B4 B5 B6, it was like a lot less topics were covered in a lot more detail, i preferred the mocks! as in the past papers that we did as mocks!
Reply 15
I found it okay, definitely better than the first one. I'm sure i did terrible in b1 b2 b3 paper and i'm an A* pupil and nEEDED to do well here. I don't think I did well enough for an A*.. as long as i get an A it's fine i guess..

For the osmosis question i found it so difficult to word properly. I just talked about how there are higher concentrations of water outside the 'outside' of the plant, causing water to move into the outside part and make the outside part more turgid. i had no idea how to make that sound better. And i don't think i said the inside were flaccid, just that water moves out of the inside cells because there is a higher concentration of water inside the inside cells (lol).

In the second page, what was the answer to "what else does he have to consider about the heating(??) other than photosynthesis"
Reply 16
Oh i didn't realise it went in to both categories. i just said he fit in to healthy. I think i got other part of question right hopefully
The question on osmosis was about how the process acts on the inside and outside cells of the plant trap. I wrote about how water was lost from the inside cells by osmosis, making those cells flaccid. And I followed that up with mentioning the outside cells took up that water (also by osmosis) to become turgid. That's how the trap closes....

but i thought it was like "how is it that the outer cells are turgid" i was going on about rain and floods, gosh I'm scared now!! and acc how did you know that, the inner cells became flaccid? confused! oh lord, well whats done is done now!
Original post by haes
I found it okay, definitely better than the first one. I'm sure i did terrible in b1 b2 b3 paper and i'm an A* pupil and nEEDED to do well here. I don't think I did well enough for an A*.. as long as i get an A it's fine i guess..

For the osmosis question i found it so difficult to word properly. I just talked about how there are higher concentrations of water outside the 'outside' of the plant, causing water to move into the outside part and make the outside part more turgid. i had no idea how to make that sound better. And i don't think i said the inside were flaccid, just that water moves out of the inside cells because there is a higher concentration of water inside the inside cells (lol).

In the second page, what was the answer to "what else does he have to consider about the heating(??) other than photosynthesis"

I'm not sure if I read the question correctly but I thought it said what other factors could be considered. I said carbon dioxide levels (using gas heaters) as well as light intensity (using artificial lighting), since these are also limiting factors of photosynthesise
Reply 19
I'm not sure if I read the question correctly but I thought it said what other factors could be considered. I said carbon dioxide levels (using gas heaters) as well as light intensity (using artificial lighting), since these are also limiting factors of photosynthesise

ohhhh, i may have read the question wrong as "what other things besides photosynthesis" ...damn it

Quick Reply

Latest