ENB
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've just applied to do the EPQ next year though I am completely blown for ideas, I would like to do something I am passionate about or I am afraid I will get bored and forget about it, ending in me ruining a great opportunity. I have thought of some general topic areas that I am interested in but have no idea how to make them into a question which I can discuss in detail. These include; Feminism, Sport and Criminal Psychology.
Any help into how I can develop these into an interesting question to talk about would be greatly appreciated as I have to submit my ideas before the 26th June. It would have to be something which doesn't overlap in the A-Level syllabus and that I can share many viewpoints and arguments on, thankyou
withlove
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What subjects do you take now and what do you want to do after college I.e. Uni?
cleverasvoltaire
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ENB)
I've just applied to do the EPQ next year though I am completely blown for ideas, I would like to do something I am passionate about or I am afraid I will get bored and forget about it, ending in me ruining a great opportunity. I have thought of some general topic areas that I am interested in but have no idea how to make them into a question which I can discuss in detail. These include; Feminism, Sport and Criminal Psychology.
Any help into how I can develop these into an interesting question to talk about would be greatly appreciated as I have to submit my ideas before the 26th June. It would have to be something which doesn't overlap in the A-Level syllabus and that I can share many viewpoints and arguments on, thankyou
Argue that modern feminism is pointless
username1915455
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The best thing to do when choosing a topic is to research into each of the areas in which you are interested. The more you find out the more you want to do/not do that topic. Before you choose your topic you should find out some information about it to make sure you do find it interesting. I don't really see why it can't overlap with your A-levels, any topic you choose you will have to research in much more detail anyway.

People doing HPQ/EPQ at my school did all sorts of topics, from Prostitution to Anti-Matter to Scuba Diving (my topic). Pretty much everyone either chose something to do with their hobbies and interests or their school subjects. To make them into a question you can take your topic and start to create a mind map of the different areas of these topics you could research, then choose whichever is the most appealing. Finally, when considering your question, make sure there is enough information accessible to you so that you can have plenty of sources. Most people have 30+ for EPQ but some people have a lot more, I had 77 for my HPQ.
k4l397
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do something your interested in but doing something relevant to what you want to do. EPQ is going to be no good to you if you want offers based on it - uni's don't usually give offers on it. It does however look impressive if relevant. All those subjects seem really broad, maybe pick one of those and do a bit of research? See what areas you could go into specifically. Feminism might be okay as a topic on its own but you will need to think about how you can make it more specific. For example you could look at a specific period for feminism or its growth in certain countries or anything (don't know enough on the topic myself to give any particularly good topic areas). The important thing is you pick an area you are passionate about and research it well over summer - otherwise it gets a lot more difficult once term time starts, trust me xD

Most important thing is if you want to do it, then do it properly and don't leave it till last minute. Although rest assured that if you did leave it till the last minute then it is definitely possible to finish it and get a semi decent grade - I can say that from experience...
ENB
Rep:
?
(Original post by withlove)
What subjects do you take now and what do you want to do after college I.e. Uni?
At the moment i am studying Biology, Psychology, Geography and PE at A-Level and plan on going on to study Physiotherapy at Universty.
ENB
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jackster45)
The best thing to do when choosing a topic is to research into each of the areas in which you are interested. The more you find out the more you want to do/not do that topic. Before you choose your topic you should find out some information about it to make sure you do find it interesting. I don't really see why it can't overlap with your A-levels, any topic you choose you will have to research in much more detail anyway.

People doing HPQ/EPQ at my school did all sorts of topics, from Prostitution to Anti-Matter to Scuba Diving (my topic). Pretty much everyone either chose something to do with their hobbies and interests or their school subjects. To make them into a question you can take your topic and start to create a mind map of the different areas of these topics you could research, then choose whichever is the most appealing. Finally, when considering your question, make sure there is enough information accessible to you so that you can have plenty of sources. Most people have 30+ for EPQ but some people have a lot more, I had 77 for my HPQ.
We've been told not to overlap with the A-level spec by my college, otherwise i would be doing something about the nature/nurture debate in criminal psychology, however we discus this a lot in detail in A2 Psychology. But thankyou for the advice, I'l be sure to choose a topic with lots of resources.
ENB
Rep:
?
(Original post by k4l397)
Do something your interested in but doing something relevant to what you want to do. EPQ is going to be no good to you if you want offers based on it - uni's don't usually give offers on it. It does however look impressive if relevant. All those subjects seem really broad, maybe pick one of those and do a bit of research? See what areas you could go into specifically. Feminism might be okay as a topic on its own but you will need to think about how you can make it more specific. For example you could look at a specific period for feminism or its growth in certain countries or anything (don't know enough on the topic myself to give any particularly good topic areas). The important thing is you pick an area you are passionate about and research it well over summer - otherwise it gets a lot more difficult once term time starts, trust me xD

Most important thing is if you want to do it, then do it properly and don't leave it till last minute. Although rest assured that if you did leave it till the last minute then it is definitely possible to finish it and get a semi decent grade - I can say that from experience...
The only reason i put feminism as an option is because it is something i am extremely passionate in, however there are not many resources available on the subject so would be hard to talk about in detail, it was more of a last case scenario, though would probably keep me the most involved. I was thinking about doing something to do with sport, maybe doping in elite athletes, as i plan on studying physiotherapy and then going on to specialize in sports, meaning i would be able to link it into my personal statement well, as well as it being something i am interested in with lots of resources.
winchxstears
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
those are very broad topics and as ypu are so interested in feminism you should really look into it! Like how society has evolved and how peceptions on what feminism is fighting for is changing and developing as the years go on. So basically compare older feminism acts and views eg. the suffragette movement with more modern ideas such as free bleeding and free the nipple which has been supported in the media eg. instagram and by celebrities like kendall and cara xx
sophiemse
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What did you do for scuba diving? I love scuba and I want to do my project on it but I'm struggling on how to go about it. We're only doing a mini EPQ so we have experience for the future but it's going on my record so it has to be good.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (188)
57.85%
I don't have everything I need (137)
42.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed