Does Nationality of someone have a big impact on relationships? Watch

Rovey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Will people turn someone down if they're not of the same nationality and from a different country with a different language to yours ? Is this often a big consideration for most ?
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If they can speak my language well enough or I'm able to speak their language well enough in order for us to actually make conversation then it doesn't matter in the slightest to me.

Although saying that some foreign accents are perceived to be better sounding, so certain accents may actually get you less chance of being turned down. Also different ethnicities look different (obviously) so that will have an effect but whether that's good or bad will depend on the person so I guess it's a bit irrelevant.

But people won't normally reject somebody purely on the basis of "They're not from where I'm from", unless they're really rather racist and obnoxious and frankly, stupid.
Mr Smurf
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes as culture/the way someone is brought up can decide how they behave in relationships.

However I am an Oriental guy who is culturally British and but still struggle because white girls are not attracted to Oriental guys.
sophiamarni
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i dont think thats true i have 3 english girls at my girls school who are with eastern asians your true love will come
BasicMistake
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nationality comes with culture and religion. These two things are, if you like, barriers to a relationship.

They are 'primary barriers' because they restrict how people come to know each other; you are more likely to approach and get to know someone who has similar interests and lifestyle to you. What is the phrase...'birds of a feather flock together'? This is terrible example but take a Pakistani individual who enjoys playing cricket and goes to a club (trying not to be racist), then take an Oriental individual who does not particularly like cricket, as is the way of things in East Asia. They are less likely to meet and create some form of relationship in the first place.
Now this effect will be reduced if both individuals have had their 'original' culture diluted by living in another country. If this 'primary barrier' is overcome, the two individuals from differing cultures can form a platonic relationship, especially if they share some interests.

If we are talking of 'romantic' relationships then the two factors come into play again. It may be difficult for people to try and live together with someone of a significantly different culture or religion. It can be harder (but I'm not saying impossible) for, let's say, an atheist to live with a Muslim. Lifestyle is drastically affected which may cause people to feel that the relationship is too difficult to maintain.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (499)
59.76%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.15%
No- I want it (237)
28.38%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.71%

Watched Threads