Daniel8909
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm thinking of doing Psychology A-Level and was just wondering what it's like. Is it easy? Is it interesting? Is there a lot of essays? Thank you
Euthymic223
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thoroughly enjoyable, and I've yet to meet somebody who does not enjoy the course. There's a reason why Psychology is one of the most popular A-level courses at the moment.

Regarding whether it has a lot of essays, the current course is a hybrid between a humanities essay-based subject like History and Sociology, and a science subject like Biology where the focus is on short/medium-answer questions and not essays. The AS does not have any essays at all except for one long-answer question of 12 marks with the rest being short-answer questions. The first A2 unit(PSYA3) is solely essay-based questions where you have to answer 3 22 mark questions in about 1 hour and 30 minutes. This unit does commonly have 1 or 2 short-answers however.

The final unit has one essay-based question of 22 marks on a psychological disorder like Schizophrenia or OCD with the bulk of it being short-answer questions on scientific method, and depending on the school, anomalistic psychology(paranormal and scientific scrutiny on claims like telekinesis) and research methods which is basically the scientific method, and contains questions similar to the EMPA and ISA of the science subjects minus the practical activity.

However, the new course coming in September 2015, which you will be taking has changed substantially, and doesn't have any essays apart from a mixture of multiple-choice, short-answer questions and extended writing questions(like the 12 marker in the current AS). Also, more emphasis is being placed on understanding research methods with schools having to do a series of practical activities, and then being assessed on their knowledge of these via questions in the exam.

I'd recommend it, as it's a really interesting course, and its hybrid nature makes it suited to both students who are stronger in science and those stronger in humanities. I doubt that you won't enjoy it....
Async
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
AS Level Psychology is lovely and so interesting, A2 is just nonsense.
TrojanH
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rjcx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I feel as though AQA psy is much better than other boards! Its the only AS i got an A in!

However this doesnt mean its easy, hard work must be put in! Its not necessarily challenging in the way maths is whereby you have to be quite independent applying your knowledge in the dark. Psychology has a certain sense of application however honestly its more about how much of a great memory you have. With psy AQA and other boards there are alot of case studies however believe me half of them are so interesting and crazy, they just stick in your head!!!

I wanted to do medicine at uni but ive changed my mind (my grades also changed my mind), im doing clinical psychology at uni next year
LividLion
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Before AS: "Psychology seems so interesting! I'll probably get to learn psychopaths, and mental illnesses! What's not to love!"

After A2: "I mean, that one thing I learned that one time for Schizophrenia was moderately interesting right?"
PusE
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do you mean for AS or A2?
For AS the maximum mark for an essay is 12z and in a typical paper you get a 12 mark, 8 mark and 6mark, along with the little one/two mark questions.

I hated AS psychology, it was really boring. Whereas in A2, unit three is all essays, each out of 24 marks. If you decide to do A2 psychology I can give you all my essays free of charge

Unit four is the most difficult because of the wording of questions.

On the whole, I enjoyed A2 and got an A grade this August

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
36.98%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.51%
Look for a job (13)
3.39%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.43%
Take a year out (67)
17.45%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.25%

Watched Threads