Muslim pupils at primary schools banned from fasting

Watch this thread
matthewduncan
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
During ramadan.
Just to clarify its not every school ive read 4 so far.
There might be more though.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-children.html
Do you agree with this?
Personally i think if it was so unhealthy i doubt muslims would allow their children to do this.
Totally disagree
tengentoppa
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
It's a common sense measure, and for all the zealotry of certain Muslims, I'm fairly sure most of them would not make their young children fast. Even my own rather fanatical parents drew a line at that. It's not required at that age and it's frankly dangerous. Fasting is one area of Islam which is quite flexible so there should be no problem.

Anyone who intended to make their child fast at that age is not fit to be a parent at all.
CoralLove
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I used to fast when I was in primary school but that was Ages ago when the fasts opened at 4 - looking at the fasting times for this Ramadan its too long for children to fast and I would be very surprised if any parents were stupid enough to let their children do it - especially because its not obligatory until adolescence, so yes I do agree with them bannng it
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
It makes perfect sense, given that as said sawm is not required in children. Even more so given the time of year Ramadan falls on at the moment in the UK. No problem in Middle Eastern, North African and South Asian latitudes, but up here the days are painfully long for anyone fasting. Definitely feeling for Muslims in Scandinavia at the moment!

When I was in primary school I knew a girl whose mother, although a very kind person, used to make her daughter fast. It made my mum quite upset.

I'm not Muslim by the way.
localblackguy
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by matthewduncan)
Personally i think if it was so unhealthy i doubt muslims would allow their children to do this.
You'd be surprised what people will do for religion regardless of what science or the rest of society says..
ahmzi_bullet
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Personally, I use to fast when i was in Primary school, i started at around year 4 on/off. My mother urged me not to, but i wanted to. It was hard but it was not as exaggerated as this. Yes there should be an age where children should start and i think its completely wrong to force upon a child not of age but if the child is old enough, they should be allowed to exercise their 'freewill' .
sdotd
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
a school with a backbone and putting pupils health first

well done
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (32)
69.57%
No (10)
21.74%
I didn't use it to prepare (4)
8.7%

Watched Threads