9.78%
very easy (40)
5.76%
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
all my students on this paper reported back and I do not know what to make of it ...
one of them which is desperate to get A* thinks that A* will be around 65, another was almost in tears, a third one said it was an ok paper...

How was it for you?
Attached files
Naga7o
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think it was a very nice paper with a couple unusual questions but still not super hard or anything
STATER
Badges: 3
Report 4 years ago
I guess you've seen the paper by now? Whats your A* prediction?
kprime2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Straight forward paper. If you had done the past papers, it was a nice paper. There was nothing on that paper that had previously not come up in past papers.
STATER
Report 4 years ago
Think I lost 8-9 marks. 10 at worst. Hoping thats 90?
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
not too bad but not exactly easy. Where is arsey!!!!??
math42
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't know what to make of it and I sat it...throughout I had the feeling it was a bit weird/ever so slightly non-standard, but I finished fairly quickly and it seemed very doable. There was a slightly challenging trig proof and I thought 1b of the first question was quite tricky; there was also a 6 mark range question and it seems that a fair few people dislike range so..
STATER
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
I don't know what to make of it and I sat it...throughout I had the feeling it was a bit weird/ever so slightly non-standard, but I finished fairly quickly and it seemed very doable. There was a slightly challenging trig proof and I thought 1b of the first question was quite tricky; there was also a 6 mark range question and it seems that a fair few people dislike range so..
About half the people who even attempted the last part of 9 were wrong when they said it was a decreasing function as well.
H0PEL3SS
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It seemed to me that some questions felt like they'd be taken from previous international papers, but it was doable, if you were well prepared. I found it fine, maybe tougher than normal, but it felt more difficult than June 2013 (I found that one easy, a lot of complaining over nothing). Regardless I don't think the boundaries will be as low as June 13, but they will be lower than normal.
math42
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by STATER)
About half the people who even attempted the last part of 9 were wrong when they said it was a decreasing function as well.
I don't understand why you would say that. The question even put "negative" for "negative constant" in bold...unless the differentiation was wrong, how can you say decreasing (I got a numerator of -3k and the square denominator of course)
edit: I mean I put increasing by the way not decreasing :P
Jemy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TeeEm)
all my students on this paper reported back and I do not know what to make of it ...
one of them which is desperate to get A* thinks that A* will be around 65, another was almost in tears, a third one said it was an ok paper...

How was it for you?
http://strawpoll.me/4609429/r

What do you make out of this poll?
AJeeeee
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by H0PEL3SS)
It seemed to me that some questions felt like they'd be taken from previous international papers, but it was doable, if you were well prepared. I found it fine, maybe tougher than normal, but it felt more difficult than June 2013 (I found that one easy, a lot of complaining over nothing). Regardless I don't think the boundaries will be as low as June 13, but they will be lower than normal.
It wasnt bad really, just that trig proof 5 marker and some of the smaller questions lol. But grade boundaries should be a bit low, does 66 for A* sound too ambitious?
STATER
Report 4 years ago
I don't understand why you would say that. The question even put "negative" for "negative constant" in bold...unless the differentiation was wrong, how can you say decreasing (I got a numerator of -3k and the square denominator of course)
edit: I mean I put increasing by the way not decreasing :P
Yh k is a negative constant so -3k is positive, and the denominator was positive, so rate of change is positive, so increasing function.
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Jemy)
http://strawpoll.me/4609429/r

What do you make out of this poll?
another poll ...
math42
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AJeeeee)
It wasnt bad really, just that trig proof 5 marker and some of the smaller questions lol. But grade boundaries should be a bit low, does 66 for A* sound too ambitious?
It was 66 last year and the only "difficult" thing on that was a similar 5 marker. I felt this year was similar; 66 would seem like a good estimate.
Jemy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TeeEm)
another poll ...
I meant your take on the given feedback on it, it has already over 1300 votes with 40% saying very hard and 30% saying hard.
STATER
Report 4 years ago
Last years was 66 for A*, and I think this one was trickier. I feel like more candidates are complaining, so maybe 65? Shouldn't rise beyond 66 I hope.
AJeeeee
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It was 66 last year and the only "difficult" thing on that was a similar 5 marker. I felt this year was similar; 66 would seem like a good estimate.
Yeah it wasnt that dramatic really :/
vietnamfam
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Paper seemed more difficult at the time, looking back at it the questions weren't too difficult. Just some "different" questions that were hard to react to
H0PEL3SS
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It was focused more on catching people out than testing whether we knew the content; The trig wasn't too hard, it was just spotting that you could change the 1. An alternative would be to get the RHS to something you could make the LHS into without simplifying, and the only real problems I had were my own silly mistakes.

66 for the A* sounds fairly high, IMO. I do FM, so I found the paper challenging, but it was only relative to other C3 papers (which were more trivial than anything), but people who only do maths will have found this much harder, dragging the boundary down. I'd say 72 (possibly as low as 68/69) for the 100, 60-64 for the 90.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (177)
32.18%
The paper was reasonable (272)
49.45%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
10.91%
It was TERRIBLE (41)
7.45%

Watched Threads