Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me with "describe the origin and maturation of phagocytes and lymphocytes" please?

ReputationRep:
    Phagocytes - originate in bone marrow - produced throughout life here

Lymphocytes - produced before birth in bone marrow

ETA:

Lymphocytes; two types:

B-cells - remain in bone marrow, mature and spread throughout body concentrating on lymph/spleen

T-Cells - leave bone marrow and collect in the thymus where they mature

ReputationRep:
    Is it as simple as that? I thought the maturation would be complex. Hmm.

(Original post by SiAnY)
    Is it as simple as that? I thought the maturation would be complex. Hmm.
    well, when she said "mature", that's where the complexity comes in...

edited, vbecause i could only be arsed to read LS's profile and see she was female after writing the post

ReputationRep:
    Hm, I don't think our syllabus (OCR A) requires too much detail, but if you want additional info, for example the maturation process of B-cells, I can type it up (?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    Hm, I don't think our syllabus (OCR A) requires too much detail, but if you want additional info, for example the maturation process of B-cells, I can type it up (?)
    I'm doing OCR too. It says "describe the origin, maturation and mode of action of phagocytes and lymphocytes" so i thought i might have to do some kind of detailed description of the maturation or something.

(Original post by LS.)
    we're on OCR altho i don't know if it's A or B (health&disease, transport and foundation are AS modules, A2 are central concepts, an option, and unifying concepts..)

im not sure it's on the syllabus but I think I remember them mentioning in a lesson about the T-cells being exposed to different antigens as part of their maturation, and the ones that respond to self-antigens being destroyed?

oh for the question (to the OP) you might want to mention also e.g. that the T-cells can mature into t-helper, t-cytotoxic etc..

(Original post by SiAnY)
    I'm doing OCR too. It says "describe the origin, maturation and mode of action of phagocytes and lymphocytes" so i thought i might have to do some kind of detailed description of the maturation or something.
    look on your syllabus to see what you need to include

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    look on your syllabus to see what you need to include
    That's the statement from the syllabus!

ReputationRep:
    Looks like we're all on OCR A.

In the biology 1 book (if you've got a copy handy) look at SAQ 16.3 'State the sites of origina and the maturation of B-Cells and T-Cells'

The answer:

'B lymphocytes originate and mature in bone marrow. T-cells originate in bone marrow, but mature in the thymus gland.'

It seems not much details needed.... however, I'm not certain.

ReputationRep:
    Again, If you biology book 1 is handy, there's diagrams on page 222 (fig 16.4)(B-cells) and 227 (16.11) (T-cells)

(Original post by SiAnY)
    That's the statement from the syllabus!
    Sorry, it sounded like a question.

Just for you I have looked through my AS notes and thats pretty much all you need to know in terms of maturation....maybe mention the specific receptors they develop as they mature...otherwise everything you should need to know about maturation;s been mentioned, afaik.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.