Thanks very much!
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Putri Herliana)
Hi there,

I am an Indonesian dentist planning to pursue a master degree in Public Health. I have offers from all three above, yet really need an advice on which university would be the best, academically, for me to study public health in the UK.

I understand that there are better public health schools, like LSHTM, but I'm enrolling this September and would be satisfied with any out of these three Would anyone be kind enough to inform me which one is the best and why?

I am totally confused now after reading so many articles comparing these universities. Any opinion would be appreciated, especially if it's academically or professionally related, more if it's based on personal experience.

Thanks very much!
All three universities offer respected Master's courses - you need to decide which course content matches your interests best.

It is important to stress that a MPH will not of itself make you eligible for public health posts in the UK - you would need service experience as well - so it's essential to have thought through why you want to do the course and what purpose it will serve. Assuming you plan to return to your own country after you've finished the degree, you might like to consider whether there is any particular 'brand' benefit from choosing one course over another.

Finally, a practical consideration would be to think about living costs, which are very high in London, if that could be an issue for you. In academic terms all three courses are regarded as pretty comparable (and not necessarily of lesser quality than LSHTM, just different).
jontyfernz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Putri Herliana)
Hi there,

I am an Indonesian dentist planning to pursue a master degree in Public Health. I have offers from all three above, yet really need an advice on which university would be the best, academically, for me to study public health in the UK.

I understand that there are better public health schools, like LSHTM, but I'm enrolling this September and would be satisfied with any out of these three Would anyone be kind enough to inform me which one is the best and why?

I am totally confused now after reading so many articles comparing these universities. Any opinion would be appreciated, especially if it's academically or professionally related, more if it's based on personal experience.

Thanks very much!
London is expensive but worth the money,But I would recommend you try to get in touch with students studying in Public health At TSR to know better about the faculty.All three are equally good and reputed.Also try to get an internship if you want to work in Uk in the future
Minerva
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jontyfernz)
London is expensive but worth the money,But I would recommend you try to get in touch with students studying in Public health At TSR to know better about the faculty.All three are equally good and reputed.Also try to get an internship if you want to work in Uk in the future
Unfortunately this is pointless advice, as by and large internships don't exist in this field, and they wouldn't qualify you to apply for most public health posts if they did. In any case, unless the OP has UK citizenship they are not going to be able to work here.

And, the whole point of this thread for the OP was to try and make contact with other students studying Public Health. Unfortunately, there aren't very many of them on TSR, as it's a postgraduate course and one that is often undertaken after several years' experience in the workplace. Not exactly your regular TSR demographic.
jontyfernz
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Minerva)
Unfortunately this is pointless advice, as by and large internships don't exist in this field, and they wouldn't qualify you to apply for most public health posts if they did. In any case, unless the OP has UK citizenship they are not going to be able to work here.

And, the whole point of this thread for the OP was to try and make contact with other students studying Public Health. Unfortunately, there aren't very many of them on TSR, as it's a postgraduate course and one that is often undertaken after several years' experience in the workplace. Not exactly your regular TSR demographic.
My friend also applied for the same course but she was told she could get an internship as she had a Portuguese passport.But still she did not get it.
Minerva
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jontyfernz)
My friend also applied for the same course but she was told she could get an internship as she had a Portuguese passport.But still she did not get it.
Because, as I've said, by and large such things do not exist in Public Health. What her 'advisers' probably meant was that, if an internship was offered to her, she would be able to take it up as a Portuguese passport holder.
jontyfernz
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Minerva)
Because, as I've said, by and large such things do not exist in Public Health. What her 'advisers' probably meant was that, if an internship was offered to her, she would be able to take it up as a Portuguese passport holder.
Probably yes
clairegilliam
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi Putri

I work at the University of Birmingham so will obviously say you should come here! However if you wanted to chat to some staff and alumni it might be worth joining the following group on LinkedIn which is for past, current and prospective students from the Masters in Public Health programme at the University of Birmingham. https://www.linkedin.com/grp/home?gid=8253781 You may also want to have a look at the new virtual open that we ran recently for Public Health which has links to student mentors and you can see some questions that other prospective students asked - http://www.pg.bham.ac.uk/event/public-health/

I hope you find some of this useful. Best of luck with your future studies where ever you decide to go!

Best wishes
Claire Gilliam
Marketing Officer
spacepirate-James
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I study, medicine, at Edinburgh but have good links with the public health department. Edinburgh's great to study at. It's very, very good for a few certain topics such as:

- Allergic and respiratory disease
- Clinical trials and statistical methodology
- Global health
- Children, families and relationships**
- Epidemiology of infectious diseases

The epidemiological work being done right now in child and newborn health [especially related to mortality, respiratory disease etc] in a global context is world-class.
Minerva
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Unfortunately the OP hasn't been online since she posted this thread
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.58%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.85%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.96%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.21%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (78)
9.73%
How can I be the best version of myself? (246)
30.67%

Watched Threads