The Student Room Group

EPQ Subjects

Hi! I'm currently doing AS Maths (Mechanics), History (American), Physics, and Fine Art. I'm looking to do something strongly Maths based at Uni, but without further maths I wouldn't be able to attend a top ranking uni for Maths alone, so I'm thinking of Engineering. I'm dropping Art next year so I could potentially do an EPQ. I'm not sure what to do it on though, but It'd have to be something to do with Engineering, Maths or Physics to be worth my time and look good on an application.
The Unis I'm thinking of applying to (this is only a faint idea at the moment) are as follows:
Oxford for my high risk choice
Bristol, Edinburgh, Bath, for my more medium risk choices
Heriot Watt as a lower risk choice when compared to the previous.
I'm not too sure if an EPQ would even be good for the area I'm considering, so any help is greatly appreciated.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Why are you not doing further maths? If it wasn't offered at your sixth form you can get this mentioned in your reference and it may still allow you to apply to some universities for maths alone.

As far as I'm aware, EPQ's are reasonably neutral in their effect. If you feel like you'd be incredibly interested in doing one, and you can get a good piece together, then you could pick it up, but nothing much would change in your application.
Original post by Artmanlikesart
Hi! I'm currently doing AS Maths (Mechanics), History (American), Physics, and Fine Art. I'm looking to do something strongly Maths based at Uni, but without further maths I wouldn't be able to attend a top ranking uni for Maths alone, so I'm thinking of Engineering. I'm dropping Art next year so I could potentially do an EPQ. I'm not sure what to do it on though, but It'd have to be something to do with Engineering, Maths or Physics to be worth my time and look good on an application.
The Unis I'm thinking of applying to (this is only a faint idea at the moment) are as follows:
Oxford for my high risk choice
Bristol, Edinburgh, Bath, for my more medium risk choices
Heriot Watt as a lower risk choice when compared to the previous.
I'm not too sure if an EPQ would even be good for the area I'm considering, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi. I did an EPQ this year and I'm going to be studying Engineering from October onwards at uni.
I did it because I thought it would 'look good' on my personal statement etc. Not once throughout the application process did any uni mention anything about EPQ, let alone make it part of an offer. It may have helped to have it in my personal statement, but apart from that it was pointless. Make sure you definitely want to do it before you start, otherwise you'll regret it.
Original post by Fanta4TheBanter
Hi. I did an EPQ this year and I'm going to be studying Engineering from October onwards at uni.
I did it because I thought it would 'look good' on my personal statement etc. Not once throughout the application process did any uni mention anything about EPQ, let alone make it part of an offer. It may have helped to have it in my personal statement, but apart from that it was pointless. Make sure you definitely want to do it before you start, otherwise you'll regret it.

Hahahah thank you very much, I was kind of half heartedly toying with the idea but this has definitely been useful. Yeah I was worried it wouldn't be too good for such an academic and science based subject so I might well drop the idea. What subjects did you do at AS/A level?
Hahahah thank you very much, I was kind of half heartedly toying with the idea but this has definitely been useful. Yeah I was worried it wouldn't be too good for such an academic and science based subject so I might well drop the idea. What subjects did you do at AS/A level?

It's a pain in the arse is EPQ!

Doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry at both AS and A2. Finished Chemistry today! :biggrin:
Original post by loperdoper
Why are you not doing further maths? If it wasn't offered at your sixth form you can get this mentioned in your reference and it may still allow you to apply to some universities for maths alone.

As far as I'm aware, EPQ's are reasonably neutral in their effect. If you feel like you'd be incredibly interested in doing one, and you can get a good piece together, then you could pick it up, but nothing much would change in your application.

Unfortunately I went into AS without much of an idea of what I wanted to do, so committing to further maths at the time was a loathsome idea. It's a shame, I love it now and regret not taking it immensely. I might study some Further Modules over the summer and inquire about taking it up next year, but I'm not sure if I can since I've already learned half of it and the course is split strangely at my school.
It's a pain in the arse is EPQ!

Doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry at both AS and A2. Finished Chemistry today! :biggrin:

Awesome, how did the exam go?
Awesome, how did the exam go?

Ok I suppose made too many stupid errors. Should still get an A overall and that's all I need for my offer.
Ok I suppose made too many stupid errors. Should still get an A overall and that's all I need for my offer.

Cool stuff. Where are you headed for Uni?
Cool stuff. Where are you headed for Uni?

Cambridge (assuming I make my offer)
Unfortunately I went into AS without much of an idea of what I wanted to do, so committing to further maths at the time was a loathsome idea. It's a shame, I love it now and regret not taking it immensely. I might study some Further Modules over the summer and inquire about taking it up next year, but I'm not sure if I can since I've already learned half of it and the course is split strangely at my school.

Do your school teach Maths in the first year, FM in the second by any chance?

If you feel confident, you could self-teach it and ask to be entered for some exams at the end of the year. Just having AS fm will help your application.
Alternatively, you could ask your school if they could try and enter you into the Further Maths Support Programme. I used it this year (before I dropped FM for various reasons, although did continue to use it because I learnt D2 in place of the school-taught S1), and it's essentially a home learning course for FM.
Cambridge (assuming I make my offer)

Wow, big hitter then.
Original post by loperdoper
Do your school teach Maths in the first year, FM in the second by any chance?

If you feel confident, you could self-teach it and ask to be entered for some exams at the end of the year. Just having AS fm will help your application.
Alternatively, you could ask your school if they could try and enter you into the Further Maths Support Programme. I used it this year (before I dropped FM for various reasons, although did continue to use it because I learnt D2 in place of the school-taught S1), and it's essentially a home learning course for FM.

Ooooh cheers for the link! No they split the teaching of FM between two teachers, so one might teach C1, S1, and C2, whereas the other will teach M1, FP1, and S2. This makes it harder for me because there's no set lessons where they'll teach one specific unit.
Ooooh cheers for the link! No they split the teaching of FM between two teachers, so one might teach C1, S1, and C2, whereas the other will teach M1, FP1, and S2. This makes it harder for me because there's no set lessons where they'll teach one specific unit.

Oh, that's pretty standard in my sixth form.
Your best bet is probably to ask what can be done regarding FM for you next year, they may be able to timetable FM lessons around your A2's.
Wow, big hitter then.

Haha please!!

Quick Reply

Latest