The Student Room Group

Mature Student Question - GCSE Science or GCSE Biology to Get into Physiotherapy

I wonder if anybody can offer me any advice. I'm a mature student (33 years old) who wants to do physiotherapy at either Manchester Metropolitan or Salford. I already have a first class honours degree from Open University (it's in a totally unrelated field, but I hope the fact that I managed to get a first class degree whilst working will be seen as indicative of my good academic abilities).
I grew up and went to school abroad, and unfortunately no longer have my school diploma (in any case, I think English unis wouldn't have recognized my qualification as being equivalent to GCSEs), so I need to take several GCSEs to satisfy the academic requirements which I'm fine with as I like studying. I've already got GCSE English (grade A), and just sat my maths exam (I'm predicted A*).
As a next step I want to take GCSE Science (via a distance learning provider as it's the most convenient option for me), but I'm a little confused as to what specification I should go for. I noticed that Salford want dual award or Biology and MMU want Science (including double award). The problem is I cannot see dual award offered as iGCSE - only Combined Science or Biology. To be honest, I would prefer to do Biology as I love the subject, but I don't want to risk rejection on the grounds that I haven't done any Physics or Chemistry. So my choices are either iGCSE Combined Science single award or iGCSE Biology, and I'm not sure what to do (both, perhaps?).

I'm fully aware of other things I need to do in order to get into a very competitive field of physiotherapy, i.e. get work experience (I'm currently applying to volunteer at a local hospital), Access course/A levels. I'm trying to take it one step at a time and currently want to decide in regards to GCSE Science/Biology. Will gratefully receive your advice.
Ring up your unis of choice for advice, they should be able to help you. I can't see why doing a biology GCSE should be a problem because many health care courses tend to ask for a biology GCSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending