AJ's Summer 2015 Anime Preview: Believe in Justice and Hold a Determination to Fist Watch

AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
The end of a fairly decent Spring season of anime is near, but having looked at what's to come less than a month from now, the Summer could end up being just as good, if not better! Here's a list of the upcoming full-length TV titles.

(These series are all due to air in the first few weeks of July. If you're looking for something to watch between now and then, maybe check last season's preview thread for some ideas!)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime

Genre: Drama, Fantasy, Romance
Animation Studio: Bones
Japanese Airdate: Jul 4, 2015
Seiyuu: Hayami Saori, Oosaka Ryouta, Kaida Yuuko
Director: Andou Masahiro (Canaan, Zetsuen no Tempest)

(Original post by Summary:)
The story revolves around Shirayuki, a beautiful girl working as a medicine woman who has red hair, which is very rare in her country. When she is proposed and chased after by the prince of her country, she runs away, only to meet Zen, the prince of a neighbouring country. Finding respect for the young man, she decides to serve at his side as his court doctor.
An okay-sounding premise, but there's nothing in the synopsis that really jumps out at me. The director and studio producing it suggest that it'll at least look good, so for me the rest will depend on how likeable the characters are.

Aoharu x Kikanjuu

Genre: Action, Comedy, Slice of Life
Animation Studio: Brains Base
Japanese Airdate: Jul 3, 2015
Seiyuu: Komatsu Mikako, Maeno Tomoaki, Matsuoka Yoshítsugu
Director: Nakano Hideaki (Ben-To, Yoru no Yatterman)

The manga follows high school student Hotaru Tachibana, a girl disguised as a boy. Through strange circumstances she finds herself drawn into the world of survival games by a host, Masamune Matsuoka. The two form a team with ero-manga artist Tohru Yukimura and aim to be the be the best in Japan
Another anime series revolving around airsoft survival games? Most of the ones I've watched so far have been fairly wacky, and this sounds like it'll be no exception – looking forward to finding out what the 'strange circumstances' that bring these characters together are!

Aquarion Logos

Genre: Action, Fantasy, Mecha
Animation Studio: Satelight
Seiyuu: Shimazaki Nobunaga, Sakura Ayane, Asai Takayuki
Director: Satou Hidekazu (Nobunaga the Fool, Kiss Dum: Engage Planet)

A new anime in the Aquarion series.
Not much I can add to this, since I've not watched any of the earlier Aquarion series. Nice trailer though, so maybe I'm missing out.

Chaos Dragon: Sekiryuu Sen'eki

Genre: Action, Fantasy, Supernatural
Animation Studio: Silver Link
Japanese Airdate: July 2, 2015
Seiyuu: Sawashiro Miyuki, Inoue Marina, Saitou Souma
Director: Matsune Masato

The story takes place in the sparkling era year 3015, where the great nations Donatia and Kōran divide the world in a cold war as they fight for supremacy. In the middle of this standoff is island country Nil Kamui, which has lost its independence
I might be over-hyping this somewhat, but a series adapted from the tabletop RPG sessions of a group including Narita Ryohgo (Durarara!! manga-ka), Gen Urobochi (Fate/Zero author) and Nasu Kinoko (Fate/Stay Night writer) has got to be worth a look!

Charlotte

Genre: School, Super Power
Animation Studio: P.A. Works
Japanese Airdate: Jul 2015
Seiyuu: Uchida Maaya, Uchiyama Kouki, Sakura Ayane
Director: Asai Yoshiyuki

The story centres around the special abilities that occur among a small percentage of boys and girls in puberty. Yuu Otosaka uses his power without others knowing, and lives a fairly normal, average school life. Before him suddenly appears a girl, Nao Tomori. Due to his meeting with her, the fate of special power-users will be exposed.
The latest story from Maeda Jun, creator of Angle Beats! (sorry, the trailer typos cracked me up). Sudden onset super powers in a high school setting seems to be as much of a rising theme as airsoft survival, but this one should feature plenty of drama and feels.

Classroom☆Crisis

Genre: Comedy, Romance, School
Animation Studio: Lay-duce
Seiyuu: Morikubo Shoutarou, Ozawa Ari, Amamiya Sora
Director: Nagasaki Kenji (No.6, Gundam Build Fighters)

With aims to one day reach out into the stars, humanity has colonized all the planets of the solar system. This story of young high school hopefuls is set in Fourth Tokyo in a Japanese Martian prefecture. Iris Shirasaki is a third year student/aspiring test pilot. Mizuki Sera is her peer/mechanic and Mizuki's brother Kaito is their homeroom teacher and the young director of the program developing their talents.
Looks like a standard slice of life/romantic comedy series... but on Mars. Likeable characters are key in a series like this, though any interesting future technology might help it out too. The new studio adds to my curiosity... have to wonder where that name came from! :p:

Dragon Ball Chou

Genre: Action, Adventure, Super Power
Animation Studio: Toei Animation
Japanese Airdate: Jul 5, 2015
Seiyuu: Nozawa, Masako
Director: Chioka Kimitoshi (Kamisama Kazoku, Hakaba Kitarou)

Reuniting the franchise's iconic characters, Dragon Ball Super will follow the aftermath of Goku's fierce battle with Majin Buu as he attempts to maintain earth's fragile peace.
This is where my anime soc leadership credentials may be called into question... I've not watched Dragon Ball Z. I HAVE finally read the original Dragon Ball arcs of the manga, but that was only last year. So until the day I finally sit down and marathon the lot, I won't be watching Chou.

Durarara!!x2 Ten

Genre: Action, Mystery, Supernatural
Animation Studio: Studio Shuka
Seiyuu: Toyonaga Toshiyuki, Fukuyama Jun, Ono Daisuke
Director: Oomori Takahiro (Baccano!, Kuragehime)

A second season of Durarara!! is in the works. The story takes place a half year after the first series at Tokyo's Ikebukuro neighborhood.
The second series of the second series of Durarara!!, adapting more of the first arc... think I got that right? :p: Its place on my watching list for next season is guaranteed, especially after that cliffhanger!

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei Herz!

Genre: Action, Comedy, Fantasy
Japanese Airdate: Jul 25, 2015
Seiyuu: Kadowaki Mai, Saitou Chiwa, Nazuka Kaori
Director: Jinbou Masato (Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya Zwei!, Kyou no Asuka Show)

Based on the Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei! manga by Hiroshi Hiroyama, itself a spin-off of the Fate/stay night erotic visual novel by Type-Moon.
The second series of the second series of a spin-off of Fate/Stay Night... why are things suddenly getting so complicated? As with Durarara!! though, my decision is an easy one: I've not seen the earlier series, so will be skipping this.

Gakkou Gurashi!

Genre: Fantasy, Horror, School
Animation Studio: Lerche
Japanese Airdate: Jul 9, 2015
Seiyuu: Minase Inori, Takahashi Rie, Ozawa Ari
Director: Andou Masaomi (Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse, White Album 2)

The story revolves around four girls who decide to stay over at school: the energetic Yuki Takeya, the shovel-loving Rumi, the center of the group Rurii, who brings everyone together, and Megu, the spacey school adviser. However, through mysterious circumstances, the girls find themselves the final survivors in a zombie attack, and continue to live at the school.
It's got to be said, having a shovel-loving friend by your side at the outbreak of a zombie apocalypse can only be an advantage. :p: Chances are good I'll pick this up, there are surprisingly few zombie anime out there already, and the clash with the usual moe high school girl tropes could be fun.

Gangsta.

Genre: Action, Drama, Comedy
Animation Studio: Manglobe
Japanese Airdate: Jul 2, 2015
Seiyuu: Noto Mamiko, Tsuda Kenjirou, Suwabe Jun`ichi
Director: Murase Shuukou (Witch Hunter Robin, Ergo Proxy)

In the city of Ergastulum, a shady ville filled with made men and petty thieves, whores on the make and cops on the take, there are some deeds too dirty for even its jaded inhabitants to touch. Enter the "Handymen," Nic and Worick, who take care of the jobs no one else will handle. Until the day when a cop they know on the force requests their help in taking down a new gang muscling in on the territory of a top Mafia family. It seems like business (and mayhem) as usual, but the Handymen are about to find that this job is a lot more than they bargained for.
Gangs, Mafia and 'Handymen', with fairly decent animation judging by the trailer. I'm interested! Looks different enough from Durarara!! to justify picking up both, with its older cast and (presumed) lack of fantasy/supernatural elements.

Gatchaman Crowds insight

Genre: Adventure, Sci-Fi, Action
Animation Studio: Tatsunoko Productions
Seiyuu: Uchida Maaya, Oosaka Ryouta, Hirano Aya
Director: Nakamura Kenji (Tsuritama, Mononoke)

Continuation of Gatchaman Crowds series.
A close second to Durarara!! in terms of most anticipated sequels! Gatchaman Crowds had its flaws, but it was such a fun series that I could easily forgive them. Can't wait to see how Hajime and the rest of the cast face whatever new threat is coming Earth's way.

Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri

Genre: Action, Fantasy, Military
Animation Studio: A-1 Pictures
Seiyuu: Suwabe Jun`ichi, Kanemoto Hisako, Touyama Nao
Director: Kyougoku Takahiko (Love Live! School Idol Project, Snow Halation)

The military fantasy series begins when a gate appears in Tokyo's Ginza district sometime in the 21st century. From the gate pours out monsters, knights from middle-age Europe, and other fantasy-like beings, and they kill many of the citizens of Tokyo. This event is known as the Ginza Incident.
I hope the fantasy world has magic, because the trailer made it seem very one-sided, orcs with clubs and elves with arrows against tanks and guns (with jolly music playing throughout). Nice to see our world didn't start the fight for once, though! Very intrigued by this.

God Eater

Genre: Action, Supernatural, Military
Animation Studio: ufotable
Seiyuu: Sakamoto Maaya, Hirata Hiroaki, Sakaguchi Daisuke
Director: Hirao Takayuki (Gyo, Majokko Shimai no Yoyo to Nene)

Anime adaptation of Bandai Namco's PSP action game series "God Eater."

Set in Japan in the year 2071 where the world has been mostly destroyed by mysterious monsters known as the Aragami. An organization known as Fenrir was made to exterminate Aragami using weapons called God Arcs which is made from the cells of an Aragami. Those who specialize in exterminating Aragami are known as God Eaters. Originally God Eaters had one type in which their God Arcs can only keep gun form or blade form, however a new type has been discovered that can switch between gun and blade form. Since then, they have been classified new-types and the previous as old-types.
A lot of the same tags as Gate, but these threats to humanity seem to be more of the generic monster type. If this series has anywhere near the budget of ufotable's currently ongoing Fate/Stay Night series, I'll watch it for that alone. But please, PLEASE let it have better pacing!

Himouto! Umaru-chan

Genre: Comedy, School, Slice of Life
Animation Studio: Dogakobo
Seiyuu: Tanaka Aimi, Nojima Kenji, Furukawa Yurina
Director: Oota Masahiko (Minami-ke, Sabagebu!)

An anime adaptation of Himouto! Umaru-chan manga. The sibling gag comedy manga centers around Umaru, Taihei's little sister who boasts beautiful looks as well as prowess in both school and sports. However, "Himouto" (beautiful little sister) has a certain secret.
Optimistic about this one, since the director has a ton of experience when it comes to gag manga adaptations, and a lot of his earlier works rank among my favourite comedy series. But the real test will be, as ever, does the first episode make me laugh or not.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa

Genre: Comedy, Fantasy, Romance
Animation Studio: TMS Entertainment
Japanese Airdate: Jul 7, 2015
Seiyuu: Serizawa Yuu, Hanae Natsuki, Minase Inori
Director: Yamamoto Yasutaka (Shinryaku!? Ika Musume, Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo?)

The romantic comedy centers around Asahi Kuromine, who has a crush on a cute girl named Yōko Shiragami. Shiragami just happens to be a vampire. Asahi cannot keep a secret, but he is determined to keep Shiragami's secret anyways.
Vampire romcom... takes me back to my early anime days, and Karin... anyway, somewhat generic setting, doesn't stand out much compared with the season's other offerings, but could be good if the characters and comedy are amusing.

Joukamachi no Dandelion

Genre: Action, Comedy, Slice of Life
Animation Studio: Production IMS
Seiyuu: Hanazawa Kana, Kayano Ai, Murase Ayumu
Director: Akitaya Noriaki (Bakuman., Persona 3 the Movie)

In the manga's story, the everyday lives of the nine super-powered siblings of the royal family are monitored by more than 200 surveillance cameras and broadcast nationwide. The people of the nation who are watching the broadcast will have the ability to elect the next monarch. The story focuses on Akane, the third-oldest sister who can manipulate gravity. She is shy and desperately does not want to be caught on camera.
Electing leaders based on a reality TV series is an interesting concept in its own right; giving them powers seems like overkill, but that's probably just me being tired of all the 'every day life, but with super powers' shows out there at the moment. :p:

Junjou Romantica 3

Genre: Drama, Romance, Shounen Ai
Animation Studio: Studio Deen
Seiyuu: Sakurai Takahiro, Hanada Hikaru, Namiki Noriko
Director: Kon Chiaki (Sekaiichi Hatsukoi, Golden Time)

The third season of Junjou Romantica.
I've not watched the two earlier series, so won't be watching this, though the trailer (one of the few I found subtitled!) was amusing. :p:

Kangoku Gakuen Prison School

Genre: Comedy, Ecchi, Romance
Animation Studio: J.C. Staff
Japanese Airdate: Jul 11, 2015
Seiyuu: Okitsu Kazuyuki, Kamiya Hiroshi, Konishi Katsuyuki
Director: Mizushima Tsutomu (Shirobako, Dai Mahou Touge)

Hachimitsu Private Academy was a revered and elite all-girls' boarding school on the outskirts of Tokyo...once upon a time. But with the new school year comes a revision to school policy: Boys are to be admitted into the student body for the first time ever. But on his first day at Hachimitsu, Kiyoshi Fujino discovers that he's one of only five boys enrolled at the school. Their numbers overwhelmed by the thousand girls in the student body, is it heaven or hell that awaits these five (un)fortunates?!.
I thought this summer seemed short on ecchi... what's with those character designs, though? Specifically, that one guy's face? I'll give the first episode a try, just in case, but (sequels to anime I haven't watched aside) this is looking like the first categorical NO of the season.

Kuusen Madoushi Kouhosei no Kyoukan

Genre: Action, Fantasy, Magic
Animation Studio: Diomedea
Seiyuu: Matsuoka Yoshítsugu, Yamamoto Nozomi, Touyama Nao
Director: Inagaki Takayuki (Rosario to Vampire, Seiken Tsukai no World Break)

The story is set in a world where humanity, driven off the land by the threat of magical armoured insects, now live in aerial floating cities. Thus wizards—aerial combat mages who fight the insects with magical powers—came into being.

Kanata Age is a young man who lives on the floating wizard academy city of "Misutogan." He was once celebrated as the "Black Master Swordsman," the elite ace of the S128 special team; however, he is now despised as the "traitor of the special team." One day, he is assigned as the instructor of E601, a team that has suffered ten consecutive defeats. E601 has three girls—Misora Whitale, Lecty Eisenach, and Rico Flamel—with one or two peculiar quirks.
The first 'battle-harem' of the season. With no real animation in the trailer, and no details about why our protagonist is considered a traitor, or what 'quirks' his new team have, there's little to make this stand out.

Makura no Danshi

Genre: Healing, Sleeping, Pillows
Animation Studio: Feel
Seiyuu: Hanae Natsuki
Director:

The anime promises a "new and novel 'sleeping side-by-side' experience entirely in the first-person perspective" to "heal tired hearts." It revolved around 12 "makura no danshi" (pillow boys), all full of distinctly individual personalities and each catering to viewers who like a certain "type." The boys all live in the same town underneath a starry sky. Each of the "makura no danshi" will star his own weekly episode as they "sleep beside you and whisper."
There's barely any information out about this yet, but it's a first person perspective, sleeping with pillow boys anime, does it need anything else? I'm strongly assuming it's going to be a short, but hoping it isn't. :p:
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou

Genre: Ecchi, Fantasy, Harem
Seiyuu: Amamiya Sora, Ozawa Ari, Yamazaki Haruka
Director: Yoshihara Tatsuya (Arve Rezzle: Kikaijikake no Yousei-tachi, Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san)

Monsters—they're real, and they want to date us! Three years ago, the world learned that harpies, centaurs, catgirls, and all manners of fabulous creatures are not merely fiction; they are flesh and blood—not to mention scale, feather, horn, and fang. Thanks to the "Cultural Exchange Between Species Act," these once-mythical creatures have assimilated into society, or at least, they're trying.

When a hapless human named Kurusu Kimihito is inducted as a "volunteer" into the government exchange program, his world is turned upside down. A snake-like lamia named Miia comes to live with him, and it is Kurusu's job to take care of her and make sure she integrates into his everyday life. Unfortunately for Kurusu, Miia is undeniably sexy, and the law against interspecies breeding is very strict. Even worse, when a ravishing centaur girl and a flirtatious harpy move in, what's a full-blooded young man with raging hormones to do?!
Well, if an ecchi series featuring monster girls with slightly less in the way of human physical traits (particularly below the waist) sounds like your kind of thing, this is the series for you. It's a niche that few past anime have tried to fill. Not for me, though.

Non Non Biyori Repeat

Genre: Comedy, School, Slice of Life
Seiyuu: Murakawa Rie, Sakura Ayane, Koiwai Kotori
Director: Kawatsura Shin`ya (Kokoro Connect, Otome wa Boku ni Koishíteru: Futari no Elder)

Second season of Non Non Biyori.
I quite enjoyed the first series of Non Non Biyori, and could empathise with a lot of the rural life situations the characters found themselves in... but unlike a lot of other sequels, I don't feel it's a must-see. A safe show to fall back on if newer offerings disappoint.

Overlord

Genre: Action, Fantasy, Game
Animation Studio: Madhouse
Seiyuu: Hino Satoshi, Hara Yumi, Uesaka Sumire
Director: Itou Naoyuki (Re:Cutie Honey, Digimon Savers)

The story begins with Yggdrasil, a popular online game which is quietly shut down one day; however, the protagonist Momonga decides to not log out. Momonga is then transformed into the image of a skeleton as "the most powerful wizard." The world continues to change, with non-player characters (NPCs) begining to feel emotion. Having no parents, friends, or place in society, this ordinary young man Momonga then strives to take over the new world the game has become.
I somehow managed to completely miss this series until today. :zomg: There are a fair few 'person stuck in an RPG world' series out there now, but having the protagonist choose to remain there and rule over the NPCs is a new and interesting take on things!

Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace

Genre: Horror
Seiyuu: Sakurai Takahiro, Yamashíta Daiki, Takahashi Rie
Director: Kishi Seiji (Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashíta, Ansatsu Kyoushítsu)

The story takes place at a certain middle school where several murder cases take place. Kobayashi, a boy who goes to this school, meets genius detective Akechi, who comes to the school to investigate. Kobayashi takes an interest in Akechi and, in spite of his friend Hashiba's worries, he volunteers to be Akechi's assistant.
There's not a huge amount of promo information out there for this one, but if it's well written then a murder mystery series would make a welcome addition to my lineup! I'm a fan of the director, too.

Rokka no Yuusha

Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy
Animation Studio: Passione
Seiyuu: Hikasa Youko, Saitou Souma, Kakuma Ai
Director: Takahashi Takeo (Spice and Wolf, Maoyuu Maou Yuusha)

When the Majin awoke from the depths of darkness, the deity of fate chose six heroes and bequeathed them with the power to save the world. Adoretto, a boy who proclaims himself the strongest on Earth, has been selected among the Rokka no Yuusha (Heroes of the Six Flowers), and he goes to the rendezvous point — but seven have gathered there. The heroes suspect that someone among the seven is the enemy, and the initial suspicion falls on Adoretto.
Probably my most anticipated of the non-sequel shows this season. Fantasy setting, intriguing premise (reminiscent of They Were Eleven). The author of the original light novels also wrote Book of Bantorra, the anime adaptation of which I loved. Great director.

Senki Zesshou Symphogear GX: Believe in Justice and Hold a Determination to Fist.

Genre: Action, Music, Sci-Fi
Animation Studio: Satelight
Seiyuu: Yuuki Aoi, Mizuki Nana, Takagaki Ayahi
Director: Ono Katsumi (Beast Saga, Yuu Gi Ou: Arc-V)

After the frontier incident, everyone who knew the circumstances believed the Noise were gone and the pain they caused was at an end. But a new conflict approached unseen. In the Yokohama Harbor Oosan-bashi Pier, a new pattern is detected that is similar to the Noise. A combat group wielding mysterious technology stands in the way of Hibiki and the others. When she hears of this enemy of unprecedented strength, Tsubasa hurries back home from England. But the Symphogear users see no opening to counterattack and are forced into a difficult fight. In this situation of extreme disparity, the battle for the song that will end the world begins.
I hope they keep on making sequels for Symphogear, if only for the ridiculous titles. :p: No doubt I'll end up watching this, the two previous series weren't exactly masterpieces, but they provided plenty of action and great battle songs to accompany it.

Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai

Genre: Comedy, Ecchi, School
Animation Studio: J.C. Staff
Japanese Airdate: Jul 5, 2015.
Seiyuu: Matsuki Miyu, Kobayashi Yuusuke, Ishigami Shizuka
Director: Suzuki Youhei (Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko., Aki no Kanade)

16 years after the "Law for Public Order and Morals in Healthy Child-Raising" banned coarse language in the country, Tanukichi Okuma enrolls in the country's leading elite public morals school and is soon invited into the Anti-Societal Organization (SOX) by its founder, Ayame Kajou. As a member blackmailed into joining by Ayame, Tanukichi ends up taking part in obscene acts of terrorism against the talented student council president Anna (for whom Tanukichi has a crush on).
...and that's a second categorical NO for J.C. Staff from me this season. What happened!? The level of ecchi in their currently airing Shokugeki no Souma is plenty for me. At least the character designs for this series are less scary than those of Kangoku Gakuen Prison School.

Sore ga Seiyuu!

Genre: Comedy
Animation Studio: Gonzo
Japanese Airdate: Jun 27, 2015
Seiyuu: Takahashi Rie, Kouno Marika, Nagaku Yuki
Director: Hiroshi Ikehata (Robot Girls Z, Robot Girls Z Plus)

The original four-panel manga centers on Futaba Ichinose, Ichigo Moesaki, and Rin Kohana, three rookie voice actresses. The manga features small but humorous observations of the voice actor industry. Hajimemashíte launched the manga at the winter Comiket event in 2011, and the duo have released new issues at Comiket events since then.
Here we are, our annual reminder that Gonzo is still a studio. :p: Shirobako has already set the bar high for anime about making anime, though the voice acting side didn't get a huge amount of attention, so a comedy series within that setting might be worth a look.

Suzakinishi the Animation

Genre: Comedy
Animation Studio: Feel
Seiyuu: Suzaki Aya, Nishi Asuka
Director: Hiramine Yoshihiro

Voice actresses Aya Suzaki and Asuka Nishi announced at an event in Tokyo on Sunday that their SuzakiNishi radio program will get a television anime adaptation starting in July.
This is a thing that is airing. Might be of interest if you're a fan of either/both voice actresses, but TBH I can't see this getting subbed.

THE [email protected]: Cinderella Girls 2nd Season

Genre: Comedy, Music, Slice of Life
Japanese Airdate: Jul 18, 2015
Seiyuu: Takeuchi Shunsuke, Kurosawa Tomoyo, Igarashi Hiromi
Director: Takao Noriko (The [email protected] Cinderella Girls, Saint☆Onii-san)

The second season of THE [email protected]: Cinderella Girls.
The first series was watchable, but I didn't warm to the characters as quickly as I did the cast of the original [email protected] anime. Again, it's a safe series to fall back on if I'm short on things to watch... but I can't see that happening this season.

To LOVE-Ru Darkness 2nd

Genre: Ecchi, Harem, Sci-Fi
Animation Studio: Xebec
Japanese Airdate: Jun 21, 2015
Seiyuu: Fukuen Misato, Iguchi Yuka, Watanabe Akeno
Director: Ootsuki Atsushi (Ladies versus Butlers!, Kanokon)

A second season of To LOVE-Ru Darkness announced at Jump Festa 2015.
Haven't seen any of the earlier series, and I can't say the franchise appeals to me that much either, so I won't be watching this.

Ushio to Tora

Genre: Comedy, Demons, Supernatural
Animation Studio: MAPPA
Seiyuu: Hatanaka Tasuku, Koyama Rikiya, Toyosaki Aki
Director: Nishimura Satoshi (Trigun, Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting!)

Ushio thinks that his father's talk of an ancient ancestor impaling a demon on a temple altar stone with the legendary Beast Spear is nuts, but when he finds the monster in his own basement, Ushio has to take another look at the family legend! To save his friends and family from the invading spirits, Ushio is forced to release Tora from his captivity. But will the creature prove to be worse than the curse?
I'd heard the title before, but didn't realise the manga first came out in the early 90s. It also has a few 90s OVAs already, but apparently this 2015 anime will start from the beginning, so no need to worry about that. Looks like another good one!

Venus Project: Climax

Genre: Music
Animation Studio: Nomad
Japanese Airdate: Jul 12, 2015
Seiyuu: Hata Sawako, Hayase Marika, Iida Riho
Director: Nakayama Takehiro (Toushin Toshi II, T.P. Sakura: Time Paladin Sakura)

Venus Project tells the story of idols living in Japan in the near future. In this world, data devices and video technology have been progressing to new heights, and people are abuzz about a new form of entertainment — Formula Venus. In Formula Venus or "F-V," the chosen top idols battle in live performances with their willpower, skills, and all their experience gained.
Nomad is another studio I often forget is still around (likely because I'm not a fan of the Milky Holmes franchise). This series might be too similar to Symphogear to justify picking up both, but I'll give it a look anyway.

Working!!!

Genre: Comedy, Slice of Life
Seiyuu: Fujita Saki, Asumi Kana, Fukuyama Jun
Director: Kamakura Yumi (Santa Company)

The third season of the Working!! series.
And finally, another sequel to a series I haven't seen~ Something I'm hoping to fix this year, as the first series is one of the many shows on my current want to watch list, but there's no chance I'll be able to fit in both that and the second series before July.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~

All the info has been sourced from Anichart, AniDB, Youtube and MAL. All first impressions and opinions are coming from someone who hasn't even watched Dragon Ball Z, so feel free to disregard them.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Picked up:

Gangsta.

Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace

Senki Zesshou Symphogear GX

Rokka no Yuusha

Gatchaman Crowds insight

Aoharu x Kikanjuu

Durarara!!x2 Ten

Ushio to Tora

Chaos Dragon: Sekiryuu Sen'eki

Non Non Biyori Repeat

Overlord

Classroom☆Crisis

Gakkou Gurashi!

Dropped:

Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri

Charlotte

Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime

Jitsu wa Watashi wa

Aquarion Logos

Joukamachi no Dandelion

Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou

Sore ga Seiyuu!

Himouto! Umaru-chan

Kuusen Madoushi Kouhosei no Kyoukan

Kangoku Gakuen Prison School

God Eater
Red Fox
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm most hyped for Durarara and Working.

Other shows I'll try are Akagami no Shirayuki-hime, Chaos Dragon, Charlotte, Gakkou Gurashi, Gangsta, God Eater, Overlord, Prison School and Rokka no Yuusha.
caraniel
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nice work AJ :yeah: Think I share your sentiments on quite a few things. Overall I'm more hyped for sequels this season than anything else. Summer seems quite fanservice heavy - not a fan.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
(Original post by caraniel)
Nice work AJ :yeah: Think I share your sentiments on quite a few things. Overall I'm more hyped for sequels this season than anything else. Summer seems quite fanservice heavy - not a fan.
I just read your blog post, we did seem to react in a similar way to a lot of the shows (including our mutual surprise that Gonzo are still going). :p:

I've pretty much written off the fanservice series too, but the one positive thing I can say about the new ones is that they're certainly not generic. Monster Musume is filling a niche largely unrepresented by TV anime, and the two J.C.Staff shows look simply bizarre. :giggle:
EdwardElric
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Spring 2015 has been the first anime season that I've followed, but I've only been following 2 anime this season (Shokugeki no Souma and Hibike! Euphonium). I hope to follow a few more this upcoming season.

My watchlist for the summer season consists of:
Durarara!! S2 (I need to watch the first cour)
Charlotte
Overlord
God Eater
Gangsta
Dragon Ball Super (why not?)
Rokka no Yuusha
Gakkou Gurashi

I may add some more later on, but as of right now those are the ones that I plan on following. Whether or not I continue watching all of them is a different story though
xDave-
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'll be trying out the following:

Charlotte
Chaos Dragon
Dragon Ball Super
Gangsta
God Eater
Rokka no Yuusha
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
I decided to kick the season off with the first episode of Gangsta - I'm amazed at how much explicit violence, sex and drug use they managed to fit in without having to resort to JoJo's/Terra Formars levels of censorship! Some parts made for uncomfortable viewing, but for the right reasons - definitely picked up.

'Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri', I'm not sure about. Dubious animation, fast-pacing and of course the whole multiple worlds thing immediately brings last season's Gunslinger Stratos to mind, which was hardly a masterpiece. And while I do admire the protagonist's passion for his hobby, it did clash with the whole serious massacring going on, hard to tell how seriously the show wants to be taken. Dropped for now, but the season is still young, so it may still have a shot.
eugenius 8
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
New Fate/kaleid, To Love Ru Darkness, Non Non Biyori, I'm done :awesome:

I'll check out the other series later, cheers AJ :cool:
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Okay, Classroom☆Crisis wasn't the slow-paced sci-fi slice of life series I was expecting - the classroom was interesting, and the crisis was real! Despite that though, it's dropped until I've seen more of what the season has to offer. Miles better than Gate, though.

Ranpo Kitan - Game of Laplace is definitely picked up. I loved the style, and the protagonist and detective seem like they're going to be fun characters.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
The first episode of Symphogear GX was just perfect. Quite possibly the best I've seen all year. Rocket surfing, mountain shortening, alchemists, and just so many explosions. I love this stupid show. My determination to fist is real.

Charlotte is the latest awesome first episode that I'll be dropping for now, simply because I feel the best has yet to come this season, and I want to reserve spaces for it. This is insane.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Picking up Rokka no Yuusha - the Mayan-like setting, fun characters and great writing may well give Arslan Senki a run for its money, and it certainly has it beat when it comes to animation. Hard to believe this is the same studio Passione that brought us Rail Wars!

Dropping the first of J.C.Staff's summer ecchi offerings, Shimoneta to Iu Gainen... Won't be going back to it either. Maybe worth checking out if you like censored profanity, innuendos and general ecchi antics that are, at the very least, a bit more creatively presented than in most other pure fanservice shows.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
The first proper episode of Gatchaman Crowds Insight was quite slow-paced compared with the action-packed Inbound special. More of a character introduction ep than anything. I'll be picking it up of course, but despite the brightness and weirdness of it all, it didn't stand out as much as I expected.

Also picking up Aoharu x Kikanjuu, which was brilliant. Another slightly odd airsoft survival series, with more characters who seem like they'll be a lot of fun. I'm surprised the official subs decided to ignore protagonist Tachibana's referring to herself in the third person, though, as it was quite a noticeable quirk.
Red Fox
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
The first proper episode of Gatchaman Crowds Insight was quite slow-paced compared with the action-packed Inbound special. More of a character introduction ep than anything. I'll be picking it up of course, but despite the brightness and weirdness of it all, it didn't stand out as much as I expected.

Also picking up Aoharu x Kikanjuu, which was brilliant. Another slightly odd airsoft survival series, with more characters who seem like they'll be a lot of fun. I'm surprised the official subs decided to ignore protagonist Tachibana's referring to herself in the third person, though, as it was quite a noticeable quirk.
Speaking of dodgy subs...
Spoiler:
Show
That's a very fast ship.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Picked up Durarara!!x2 Ten, of course.
caraniel
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have my first batch of first impressions up for:

Gangsta.
Ranpo Kitan – Game of Laplace
Okusama ga Seitokaichou!
Classroom Crisis
Wakaba*Girl
GATE
Aoharu x Kikanjuu
Hetalia – The World Twinkle
Charlotte

Must say this season's first episode game is very strong!
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Standard shounen fare from Ushio to Tora, but I liked the comedy, and the interactions between the titular characters. Picked up~
EdwardElric
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My thoughts on the summer shows so far :
- Gangsta : A pretty impressive first episode, a lot more mature than I expected it to be. The characters seem a little bland so far but for a first episode it isn't half bad.
- Durarara!! : I hated the second season, but at least Izaya is doing something for once. If they keep him in the spotlight they can't go wrong.
-Ranpo Kitan : Game of Laplace : Dropped. The characters seem like typical fujoshi bait, (flashback to Owari no Seraph), and I just think there are far better series that are worth my time.
- Dragon Ball Super : I'm going in blind with this one, but it looks like it'll be a lot of fun.
- Charlotte : I'm getting a bad feeling that this may be a repeat of Plastic Memories. The first episode didn't impress me too much, but I'm keeping it for now.

I'll try to check out a few more soon, including Overlord and God Eater.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Finally found subs for, and will be picking up Chaos Dragon: Sekiryuu Sen'eki - Not bad, and it has the potential to get better once the main characters party up as will presumably happen.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (468)
66.76%
No (233)
33.24%

Watched Threads