The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

IELTS requirement in conditional offer super annoying!!!

Im a non EU interantional student in UK and i am getting a bit bothered and irritated by the IELTS requirement of over 7.0 on each component on my undergraduate offer conditions. I scored 7.5 overall in my last one but only 6.5 in writing----I basically screwed task 2 given a nasty question on 'family history' thing. And now I have to do a retake the whole test during my A2 exam periods which really annoys me cus I have to bother to work on that while i constanly feel it's a bit waste of time and it really gets in the way of my A2 revision!!! And I just sometimes feel it's all abit stupid, I got all the A*/As in History, English Literature, Econs and Geography in AS and aren't they really a better way to prove my writing skills ability than just a stupid Task 2 essay??? Yet in the offer they say ' you will just not be admitted if u fail to obtain a 7 in writing'... It's sometimes just pointless... I know rules r just rules but I am just abit annoyed by this rigidity of uni admission process sometimes... Is there anyone who's ever got the similar situation i like do?? Haha just purely whining a little here after all Im now still practicing hard on ielts for my resit tmm. :biggrin: wish me luck!!:smile::tongue:
Reply 1
Original post by Ammitung0207
Im a non EU interantional student in UK and i am getting a bit bothered and irritated by the IELTS requirement of over 7.0 on each component on my undergraduate offer conditions. I scored 7.5 overall in my last one but only 6.5 in writing----I basically screwed task 2 given a nasty question on 'family history' thing. And now I have to do a retake the whole test during my A2 exam periods which really annoys me cus I have to bother to work on that while i constanly feel it's a bit waste of time and it really gets in the way of my A2 revision!!! And I just sometimes feel it's all abit stupid, I got all the A*/As in History, English Literature, Econs and Geography in AS and aren't they really a better way to prove my writing skills ability than just a stupid Task 2 essay??? Yet in the offer they say ' you will just not be admitted if u fail to obtain a 7 in writing'... It's sometimes just pointless... I know rules r just rules but I am just abit annoyed by this rigidity of uni admission process sometimes... Is there anyone who's ever got the similar situation i like do?? Haha just purely whining a little here after all Im now still practicing hard on ielts for my resit tmm. :biggrin: wish me luck!!:smile::tongue:

I already scored 8.0 in IELTS last year so it is easy for me to say that, but I do think that this requirement is crucial for the reason that a top school such as LSE does not want people on their degrees who will struggle with English. And frankly, yes - I also do think that a specialized English test is a better demonstration of language skills than A-levels, even the essay-heavy ones such as History, which I myself actually did.
(edited 8 years ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Ammitung0207

This is a requirement forced upon all universities by the UK Border Agency. Pretty stupid when some are already taking writing subjects at a much higher level than IELTS. More insulting is that this rule applies even to those who may have been studying in UK boarding schools for years, LOL.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending