Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

what are you most worried about uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Damn right! I looked *fine* in it. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've had a decent snog since! (j/k)

To actually answer the question, I am concerned about the money thing... Unlike most, I have an existing loan which I am paying off, which means I have to work part time as well as study. My parents have promised to take care of the loan once their house is sold, but it isn't sold yet. Current calculations mean I'll be fine for this year at least, and am trying to spend no money until Sept so that most of my earnings will be intact to help a little. Oh, and I will have to pay them back once I'm earning again! God, 27 and still having to rely on mum and dad. That's not embarrassing at all!

I am also concerned that I got into Nottingham because the senior lecturer who interviewed me fancied me. I'm basing this on the fact he actually asked me what I wanted him to put down as my offer. I won't name names...

Young Free dude as we are both (I think) going to Nottingham, if you are feeling insecure, seek me out for a hug!

My main worry is now narrowly missing out on my offer because I've kind of lost my motivation. Only two more assignments to go, must get back to work!!!

ReputationRep:
    ...being 10,000 miles away from home.....and only going back twice a year
    *sob*
    but other than that, i'm really looking forward to uni!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Oh dear lord...no, that's not something I would be doing for my Part II. Imagine the investigations! Nooooo....

F. Poste - almost nobody cares what A-Levels you did, unless they're complete arrogant losers. I like to hope most people at Oxbridge know what the selection process is like and know that people will not get in if they're not good enough, regardless of how "academic" their subjects are, although obviously there are limits to this. What did you take?
    You could get a lot of primary research though.

Oxford wouldn't accept anyone if they didn't consider their A-Levels academic. Honestly, once you get here no one cares about what A-Level you did, they have their own problem to think about; like how am I'm going to handle doing 2 essays per week, for 8 weeks, 3 times a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    You could get a lot of primary research though.

Oxford wouldn't accept anyone if they didn't consider their A-Levels academic. Honestly, once you get here no one cares about what A-Level you did, they have their own problem to think about; like how am I'm going to handle doing 2 essays per week, for 8 weeks, 3 times a year.
    Hmmm...I think I could live without doing that research! I'd rather play with Gilsons in a lab for a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shilling)
    - that everyone will be really really clever, and I'll be really behind and stupid, and won't be able to keep up, and everyone will be thinking "how the hell did she get in here?"
    Competition can be good for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    F. Poste - almost nobody cares what A-Levels you did, unless they're complete arrogant losers. I like to hope most people at Oxbridge know what the selection process is like and know that people will not get in if they're not good enough, regardless of how "academic" their subjects are, although obviously there are limits to this. What did you take?
    I'm glad to hear that as I mean to stay well away from arrogant losers I do English (which I'm going to be studying at uni), Sociology and Psychology. I already knew that people considered the previous two "mickey mouse" from the internet before I sent off the UCAS form... but when I was in college for my interview, one girl asked me what I was doing, and after I replied another girl, who'd overheard me, turned around and gaped. I know that's a lame thing to make me paranoid.. but it was so withering, so shocked, the strongest look I've ever received from a stranger. But she turned out to be a reapplicant, so at least I got in first time and she didn't, Mickey Mouse A-levels or not!
    Thanks for the reassurance Helenia and Baz

And jumpunderaboat and Frances- we should just join forces and laugh in the faces of everyone who dares look down on us! Then get better degrees then them all. Bwahaha.

ReputationRep:
    What is wrong with Sociology and Psychology? :confused: I don't understand some people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    What is wrong with Sociology and Psychology? :confused: I don't understand some people.
    I don't understand a lot of people.

To answer the thread, I'm concerned about meeting people with similar interests to me, but then I think "well, there's so many more people at uni compared to 6th Form, I'm likely to find people with loads in common with me - even more so than my current friends possibly"
    I can't wait to go to be honest, 6th form is getting very stagnant. I want the change and the independence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    I'm not quite sure :confused: It might have something to do with the fact that they're not "hard sciences", or that they're both relatively new disciplines and A-levels. Hmm. I find them both easier than English, but only because they are more memory based, and I have a fairly good memory. But from what I can see, most subjects largely involve memory- even the revered hard sciences. So I don't think that's why either!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    I'm not quite sure :confused: It might have something to do with the fact that they're not "hard sciences", or that they're both relatively new disciplines and A-levels. Hmm. I find them both easier than English, but only because they are more memory based, and I have a fairly good memory. But from what I can see, most subjects largely involve memory- even the revered hard sciences. So I don't think that's why either!
    What's it to them anyway? Grr, bloody snobs. All subjects start off being less well respected - my mum was saying when she did her French degree in the 60s people looked down on it because it wasn't Latin. How times change. And from what my friends who do it say, I'd rather you were doing Psychology than me.

ReputationRep:
    It's like the snotty people who look down on others because they only do 3 instead of 50 A-Levels or something?

ReputationRep:
    It is nice to know that I had blown the whole thing out of proportion in my head and that it's not my problem, but someone elses' I will let them belittle someone else's subject in order to make themselves feel big! *wears Social Science badge of honour*

ReputationRep:
    It is nice to know that I had blown the whole thing out of proportion in my head and that it's not my problem, but someone elses' I will let them belittle someone else's subject in order to make themselves feel big! *wears Social Science badge of honour*
    Lets hope the reapplicant who gaped didn't get in, serves her right if she didn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Lets hope the reapplicant who gaped didn't get in, serves her right if she didn't.
    Exactly But if she does, I hope she gapes again when she sees me there- it might be fun to try and throw things in there!

ReputationRep:
    Exactly But if she does, I hope she gapes again when she sees me there- it might be fun to try and throw things in there!
    That almost makes me wish I was there to join you, as it is you'll have to offer a beer to whoever manages to chuck a bottle cap into there first.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.