The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Liverbird
I found some bunny fairy lights at www.nicespace.co.uk ....under 'luscious lighting'. They're £25 tho

Oooh, that website is addictive...
Reply 41
not really related but i don't want to start another thread...plus i want more people to read this thread and keep posting cause it is nice to read :smile:

you know when you arrive at university and go into halls? and say you got like a flat of 6?? is each bedroom allocated to a specific student or is it first-comes-first-get-the-best-and-biggest-room-nearest-the-kitchen??

:P
Reply 42
sparkler
not really related but i don't want to start another thread...plus i want more people to read this thread and keep posting cause it is nice to read :smile:

you know when you arrive at university and go into halls? and say you got like a flat of 6?? is each bedroom allocated to a specific student or is it first-comes-first-get-the-best-and-biggest-room-nearest-the-kitchen??

yeah i wondered that too....
Reply 43
cause if it is like that i'll be camping outside the halls :rolleyes:

its probably not actually, hehe
Reply 44
sparkler

I imagine the rooms will already be allocated. When you pick up your keys you will have keys to get into the building and your flat, and then a separate key for your room - you get whichever room in the flat that your key opens :smile:
Reply 45
this is a really stupid question... if you have an ensuite do you have to get your own loo roll?

lou xxx
Reply 46
lou p
this is a really stupid question... if you have an ensuite do you have to get your own loo roll?

lou xxx
Yes you do, at least at my accomodation you did.
Reply 47
*Riz*
If you're going into self-catered halls then what kinda stuff do you think you should take with you, which stuff should you wait until you get there then buy between you and what kinda stuff will already be there?

The stuff already there is likely to vary between unis, so check the accomm office at your chosen uni to find out exactly what is. It is likely you will be provided with most shared applicences eg some combo of microwave / oven / grill, fridges, freezer, iron / ironing board, hover and mop. If you're luckly you might also get a set of pots and pans.

Everything else kitchenwise you will generally need to bring yourself or workout with the flat. the things you should buy between you are all the things that can be easialy shared and easily cleaned or maintained such as toasters, kettles, sandwitch makers and other electrical applicences. You can try sharing cutlery and crokery, though if someone can't be bothered to wash up you end up with a mountian of dirty stuff. Also it might be a good idea to share some of the more obscure kitchen items eg egg wisk, fish slice etc.

Hoepfully wherever you go there should be a supermarket or department store vaugely close so your parents can dash out and get anything vital that no-one in the flat has bought. It really up to you what you take though, but be careful of buying anything to expensive with the intention of leaving it in the kitchen - you'll never see any of that sliver plated steak knife set again.
Reply 48
Daveo
Yes you do, at least at my accomodation you did.

Yeah mine too, a guy in my flat was very annoyed as he'd bought his own set of 16 toilet rolls with him :smile: You should probably bring your own though just in case, it comes in very useful when you spill your dinner on your keyboard while trying to eat and browse ukl as happened to me frequently.
Reply 49
sparkler

As grey faerie said rooms are likely to be allocated in advance - sometimes way in advance - I knew what room i was in a month or so before I arrived. This is often useful as you can use some university message boards to find out who will be in your flat next year and make freinds early.

Also - beware of the room near the kitchen. The kitchen is usually the centre of noise with fire doors banging, drinking games going on and just lots of noise fro, people talking - not good if youre trying to sleep with paper-thin walls. Also watch out for rooms next to the stairs - its often loud when anyone goes up them. Not that you can do much as the rooms are usually pre allocated.
Reply 50
i dont like to bump old threads - but i want to know what more stuff people have collected since this thread started...

:tongue:
oooooo I love threads like this :smile: Goin back to the whole fairy lights thingy I got a lush set of blue flashing paper lantern lights and a rather interesting set of stickers which turn your fridge into a cow fridge!!!

Visit www.iwantoneofthose.com full of essential gadets such as sets to make your own shot glasses
Reply 52
So far I've got one cup and a pack of cards.. not sure what I'll need in catered halls so might wait til I get there (?)
Reply 53
are the cards highly laminated? If they are you can use them as cutlery - and just eat out of your cup.....
Reply 54
Willla2
are the cards highly laminated? If they are you can use them as cutlery - and just eat out of your cup.....

:tongue: I like the way you think! In that case I think I'm set.. lol
I havent actually bought a thing... I dont wanna tempt fate or anything :smile:
Reply 56
I haven't bought anything! My daddy has bought me a laptop, a printer, a scanner, some stuff for my room from Ikea, a car, and driving lessons.
Reply 57
juno_the
I haven't bought anything! My daddy has bought me a laptop, a printer, a scanner, some stuff for my room from Ikea, a car, and driving lessons.

not much then??

:wink:
Reply 58
I've only just finished my gcses but my mum made me start a file of things that will be useful...starting with 5 ways to cook an egg! i useless i really am...
Lil !*!
I've only just finished my gcses but my mum made me start a file of things that will be useful...starting with 5 ways to cook an egg! i useless i really am...

I like that... I wish my mom was that organised - a year until Uni and she's already having panic attacks at how I'm going to cope. I'm not getting any confidence from her, lol. She's writing me my own cookery book for my especially pedantic taste buds.. and this is just the start.. who knows what else she could come up with!? Probably an indepth report on how to hoover curtains, or something. "Just incase!"

Latest

Trending

Trending