What can you do to prepare for A-Levels?

Watch
emilygrey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm asking for a friend. I didn't really do any preparation over the long summer break from finishing my GCSEs, so I'm not sure what the best way to prepare is, if you should at all!

She's taking:
English Language
English Literature
ICT

She was thinking about buying the books that she would be studying in English Lit, and reading them over the summer to get a head start. She's aiming to get at least all As.

Or do you just think that she should have a break from studying for a while? She's quite an avid reader, so reading the books would probably be a walk in the park for her anyway. For English Lit in Year 12, she'll be studying The Picture of Dorian Gray and the poems of W.B. Yeats.

Thank you.
mjrd
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by emilygrey)
I'm asking for a friend. I didn't really do any preparation over the long summer break from finishing my GCSEs, so I'm not sure what the best way to prepare is, if you should at all!

She's taking:
English Language
English Literature
ICT

She was thinking about buying the books that she would be studying in English Lit, and reading them over the summer to get a head start. She's aiming to get at least all As.

Or do you just think that she should have a break from studying for a while? She's quite an avid reader, so reading the books would probably be a walk in the park for her anyway. For English Lit in Year 12, she'll be studying The Picture of Dorian Gray and the poems of W.B. Yeats.

Thank you.
Hell of a jump frm gcses to AS. Get the books and read them now. Print off as many past papers and marking schemes and fill them in. Soon as your in coll, concise all your topics as you finish them. Be organised and prepared.
DanyaI
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by emilygrey)

She's taking:
English Language
English Literature
ICT

Thank you.
If your doing AS levels, then it shouldn't be too much harder then GCSE....I would just double the amount of reading, using various text books for the same specification, and also A LOT of past papers...they are the key to success
thenextchemist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think the best she can do is really to study the specification and read the books.
See what the exam is like and find some notes online that would help for revision later on in the year.
Other than that, take a relaxed break.

Posted from TSR Mobile
jammy4041
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
With AS and A-Levels, I would say the key would be to learn the specification. Getting textbooks early and going through them will help as well. Talking to teachers would help a lot as well, as in my experience anyway, they became less of a teacher and more of a fountain of knowledge which is not too unlike a university tutor. They won't help a lot in lessons, but outside, you have to show a willingness to show initiative and ask for help when you need it, and generally they will help. An enthusiasm helps, and it sounds like your friend will take to reading anyway. I particularly found that my physics teacher was like this. He had certain free periods, that students could drop-in which was very helpful.

Also, in terms of AS-level, it helps to have a plan, and teachers generally help achieve that plan, as well as preparing the UCAS application.
emilygrey
Rep:
?
(Original post by mjrd)
Hell of a jump frm gcses to AS. Get the books and read them now. Print off as many past papers and marking schemes and fill them in. Soon as your in coll, concise all your topics as you finish them. Be organised and prepared.

Thank you!
emilygrey
Rep:
?
(Original post by DanyaI)
If your doing AS levels, then it shouldn't be too much harder then GCSE....I would just double the amount of reading, using various text books for the same specification, and also A LOT of past papers...they are the key to success
Thank you for answering!
emilygrey
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bloom77)
I think the best she can do is really to study the specification and read the books.
See what the exam is like and find some notes online that would help for revision later on in the year.
Other than that, take a relaxed break.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you, I really like your answer!
emilygrey
Rep:
?
(Original post by jammy4041)
With AS and A-Levels, I would say the key would be to learn the specification. Getting textbooks early and going through them will help as well. Talking to teachers would help a lot as well, as in my experience anyway, they became less of a teacher and more of a fountain of knowledge which is not too unlike a university tutor. They won't help a lot in lessons, but outside, you have to show a willingness to show initiative and ask for help when you need it, and generally they will help. An enthusiasm helps, and it sounds like your friend will take to reading anyway. I particularly found that my physics teacher was like this. He had certain free periods, that students could drop-in which was very helpful.

Also, in terms of AS-level, it helps to have a plan, and teachers generally help achieve that plan, as well as preparing the UCAS application.
Thank you for your answer, it's really helpful!
CancerousProbIem
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't work too hard though ha.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (40)
18.02%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (63)
28.38%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (85)
38.29%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (29)
13.06%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.25%

Watched Threads