Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    That's quite surprising that my pulse is good.
    Well, it could be alot worse, when we were using these sensors in physics, one was a heartbeat sensor, a girl in the class had a resting heart rate of 80 something, most of the boys 70-odd...

ReputationRep:
    Resting heart rate should be between 60 to 100 bpm for an adult. Higher for a child.

Max heart rate is 220-your age. (Max you should get up to on exercise)

But not if you have a pacemaker fitted, once spent 1/2 hour trying to explain to a guy that; no I would not reprogramme his pacemeaker so his heat rate would go higher when he was in the gym. And no this didn't mean that I was stopping him from becoming fit and finally no I wasn't a personal trainer, but I did think I knew more about pacemakers than his personal trainer did. Normally I would have reprogrammed, but this guy had had lots of problems with his pacemaker and it had taken a year to get him to the stage he felt comfortable with on a day to day basis and I didn't want to start over again.

On the weight loss / healthy eating thing the British Heart Foundation do a good booklet telling you what you should eat not just what you shouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    Resting heart rate should be between 60 to 100 bpm for an adult. Higher for a child.

Max heart rate is 220-your age. (Max you should get up to on exercise)

But not if you have a pacemaker fitted, once spent 1/2 hour trying to explain to a guy that; no I would not reprogramme his pacemeaker so his heat rate would go higher when he was in the gym. And no this didn't mean that I was stopping him from becoming fit and finally no I wasn't a personal trainer, but I did think I knew more about pacemakers than his personal trainer did. Normally I would have reprogrammed, but this guy had had lots of problems with his pacemaker and it had taken a year to get him to the stage he felt comfortable with on a day to day basis and I didn't want to start over again.

On the weight loss / healthy eating thing the British Heart Foundation do a good booklet telling you what you should eat not just what you shouldn't.
    Should be between 60 and 100? If you had a resting heartrate of 100 then youd be pretty much ....****ed.

ReputationRep:
    No you wouldn't, you'd probably be a small female but you would be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    No you wouldn't, you'd probably be a small female but you would be fine.
    Yeh, youd also probably be obese and smoking 20 cigarettes a day, I dont care how big you are, 100bpm resting heartrate is NOT good.

ReputationRep:
    It is within normal limits for an adult. Yes it is the upper end of normal and if you were a child it would be higher.

The actual shape of your qRS complex is more important than the rate, unless the rate is something like 140 at rest. Btw my resting heart rate is sometimes 160 because I have occasional SVT. In my case there the only underlying pathology is an underactive thyroid, if I have a bout of SVT I have a blood test and up the thyroxine.

So just how much cardiology training have you had? Not enough to know that the minimum period for counting a pulse is 15 seconds and ideally it should be measures over a full 60 seeconds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    It is within normal limits for an adult. Yes it is the upper end of normal and if you were a child it would be higher.

The actual shape of your qRS complex is more important than the rate, unless the rate is something like 140 at rest. Btw my resting heart rate is sometimes 160 because I have occasional SVT. In my case there the only underlying pathology is an underactive thyroid, if I have a bout of SVT I have a blood test and up the thyroxine.

So just how much cardiology training have you had? Not enough to know that the minimum period for counting a pulse is 15 seconds and ideally it should be measures over a full 60 seeconds.
    Ive had none, have you tried counting your pulse whilst doing quite intense cardio activity? I lose count after the first 5 seconds, doing it for a minute would be next to impossible, not everyone has heartrate monitors or whatever, I just gave a quick and simple solution, also, if you were to stop doing cardio whilst measuring your heartrate, it wouldnt be giving you an accurate reading either would it?

ReputationRep:
    well we were talking about resting heart rate.

ReputationRep:
    ok, i just wanted to say, that those adios tablets are good, they are natural...so if they dnt wurk your not going to do yourself any harm. Pilates and yoga are two brilliant ways of toning up, and build overall strength. Cardio should be done a minimum of 3 times a week, for 20 mins each time to build up your heart and lungs. People don't help when they go on about not eating, and frankly, i dnt have time for idiots like that!! I lost 3 stone in as many months, and have kept it off no probs, just do as much as you can, and enjoy it!!

ReputationRep:
    I have been on a diet for a few weeks now, I am over a bitoverweight and do not wish to be fat at uni! This diet is called 'food combining for health' and is by a woman called Marsden. It is excellent, one eats fruit and yoghurt for breky, starch for lunch and protein for dinner. Starch and protein cannot be mixed, though vegetables can be eaten at either meal. The strach and protein meal can be alternated. I have combined this with a 4.2 mile walk 5/6 times a week - 40-45mins. So far I have come down from 15 Stone to 14St5lbs, with a 13st5lbs target. I have also dropped a waist size. It really works and is not to hard, and I plan to join the gym this week. Good luck with weight loss.

ReputationRep:
    I used to be over 11 n a half stone :eek: and i am now 10st 5lbs. 9st is my target and im going to india in the summer n apparently u lose a lot of weight while u r out there so hopefully i will b lurrvely and thin when i come bk!
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    try the zone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchie_rox)
    ok, i just wanted to say, that those adios tablets are good, they are natural...so if they dnt wurk your not going to do yourself any harm.
    Although bear in mind that deadly nightshade and snake venom is also natural and WILL do a lot of harm! Lots of companies band around the word "natural" like that means that it's always good and healthy. The "natural" stuff can be just as bad as processed, "unnatural" stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    Although bear in mind that deadly nightshade and snake venom is also natural and WILL do a lot of harm! Lots of companies band around the word "natural" like that means that it's always good and healthy. The "natural" stuff can be just as bad as processed, "unnatural" stuff.
    yes, but just to put your mind at rest "dandelion extract" is not deadly. nor do they contain "deadly nightshade" or snake venom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    I used to weigh 20 stone, had to get the knowledge to shed that lot! Recently Ive got into bodybuilding as one of my mates is a professional junior bodybuilder, started going to the gym with him, putting on muscle is alot harder than losing fat though, which is where all the nutrition knowledge comes in.
    I don't mean to be rude, but how much did you manage to lose and how long did it take you to do so? Also - how did you manage to lose weight i.e. through nutrition, exercise, both etc?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    I need to lose weight, badly, except everytime I go on a diet, it goes well for a few weeks, then I lose control and just balloon back out!
    How can people lose weight?! You guys must have incredible self control.
    I'm tired of my mum dissing my weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~independent~)
    I need to lose weight, badly, except everytime I go on a diet, it goes well for a few weeks, then I lose control and just balloon back out!
    How can people lose weight?! You guys must have incredible self control.
    I'm tired of my mum dissing my weight.

You have to make sure you can go on a diet that you can maintain basically forever. Just keep an eye on what you are eating each day normally and try to cut back on the junk food and stuff gradually and then focus on making your main meals healthier. And you can't really lose that much weight without doing some form of exercise.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.