Report Thread starter 3 years ago
HI guys could someone go over the nephron and fermenters plz
Priyanka.oza
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Priyanka.oza)
Each kidney consists of tiny tubules called nephrons which filters the soluble waste from the blod and reabsorbs the useful substances back into the blood.
1. Filtration: takes place in the hollow shaped "Bowman's Capsule" which is surrounded by a network ob capillaries called the glomerulus.The blood vessels branch from the renal artery - that brings unfiltered blood into the kidney. It is at high pressure which forces urea, glucose and water from the blood through the thin walla of capillary vessels + Bowman's capsule into the space in the capsule. Large molecules and red blood cells remain in the blood.
2. Re-absorption:
2. Re-absorption: as the solution travels through the rest of the nephron, glucose is re absorbed through the convoluted tubule. It is moved out of the nephron back into the blood against the concentration gradient.Water is reabsorbed through the walls of Loop of Henle and the collecting duct. The liquid in the collecting duct is urine which travels to the ureter and is excreted. Fermenters:used in industry to make things like wine, yoghurt etc. They use aseptic techniques - superheated steam is pumped through to kill microorganisms. Nutrients: the culture medium inside the fermenter has all the substances the microorganisms need to grow. Commercially, Microorganisms cultured in a soup-like broth - contains sugar + other carbs as a source of mineral ions. pH of nutrient solution controlled by adding acid or alkali. Oxygenation: sterile air is fed to the bottom of the container through perforated metal discs Agitation: ensures the even distribution of nutrients, gases - controlled by rotating paddles. Temperature: kept optimum by cooling systems as heat is released by paddles and by a water jacket which is what the fermenter is in. Hope this helps
Pure class
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Priyanka.oza)
2. Re-absorption: as the solution travels through the rest of the nephron, glucose is re absorbed through the convoluted tubule. It is moved out of the nephron back into the blood against the concentration gradient.Water is reabsorbed through the walls of Loop of Henle and the collecting duct. The liquid in the collecting duct is urine which travels to the ureter and is excreted. Fermenters:used in industry to make things like wine, yoghurt etc. They use aseptic techniques - superheated steam is pumped through to kill microorganisms. Nutrients: the culture medium inside the fermenter has all the substances the microorganisms need to grow. Commercially, Microorganisms cultured in a soup-like broth - contains sugar + other carbs as a source of mineral ions. pH of nutrient solution controlled by adding acid or alkali. Oxygenation: sterile air is fed to the bottom of the container through perforated metal discs Agitation: ensures the even distribution of nutrients, gases - controlled by rotating paddles. Temperature: kept optimum by cooling systems as heat is released by paddles and by a water jacket which is what the fermenter is in. Hope this helps

Thank you very much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (127)
17.81%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.25%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (103)
14.45%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.82%
How can I be the best version of myself? (217)
30.43%

Watched Threads