fireway10
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have currently just finished my AS exams and want to do law with business at uni. My top 2 are Liverpool and Chester. Obviously Liverpool has a better reputation and is higher up the rankings than Chester. However when i visited Chester an the open day i really liked the atmosphere and the area. How much would it effect my employment prospects if i chose Chester over Liverpool baring in mind Liverpool is in the Russell group and Chester is fairly new.
niallrobins0n
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I applied for Law with Business at both Liverpool and Chester, with Liverpool being my first choice for the same reasons above. However, I ended up at Chester and think i'm better off for it to be honest. Liverpool is a large faculty in both departments and the staff don't have half the time or attention to pay towards you individually, Chester do. The Law school is great and the business side is interesting.. I'd personally go for Chester. The lecturers are very helpful and there are plenty of opportunities to get involved outside the lecture hall such as joining the law society, university campus jobs and organising law/business school events. Studying the QLD with business will differentiate you from the rest plus business provides a good distraction at times from the mountain of law work you may have.
ifyouseelaura
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It depends on what you want to do afterwards - top law firms (if you're thinking about applying to them) tend to be pretty snobby about non-russell group or newer universities, and so I'd say go for Liverpool. But if you're not thinking about applying to those companies, then go wherever you think you'd feel happier.
dartanoir
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Obviously I can't really comment on what it is like to be a student at Liverpool, however as a law student nearing the end of my second year at Chester I am more than happy to tell you about my student experience there. We're a fairly large faculty with roughly 130 students, however it honestly doesn't feel that way due to the amount of support members of staff provide to us. If you ever need any extra help and your Personal Academic Tutor isn't available, you're more than welcome to go and speak to any available member of staff about both personal and academic issues. They're all pretty darn friendly here! Also, there's so many opportunities for extra curricular stuff to boost your CV with it's insane! Also, having spoken to a fair few Barristers and Solicitors - as long as you have the grades and the experience, there's no reason why a law firm wouldn't accept you. At the end of the day a First from Chester is always going to look better than a 2:1 from Liverpool. Work your socks off, grab every opportunity and use the lecturers to gain extra help (that's what they're here for).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?