The Student Room Group

AS Further Maths or not?

Basically I would like to do Investment Banking in the future and I don't know what degree to take? Usually to go into this you would need Maths A-level (which I am already doing) and something like economics.

However I didn't pick economics (because i was told before choosing my AS options that it's not really necessary for doing economics at uni?) but I doubt I can do something finance realted with only my maths A-level.

Anyway our school is offering further maths AS during year 13 and I was wondering whether I should take it? I find further maths interesting so it's not a problem of liking it or doing the work but knowing if it is necessary.

thank you! (btw my other options are chemistry, history and english)
Reply 1
From what I have gathered in about 5 minutes of research quite a few unis do not specify which A levels you need. However it's good that you did do maths as well as English because then you will have a strong mathematical basis and you'll be able to write great essays. Id definitely advise taking both of these to A2, it'll make you seem quite an "all rounder"

Since the courses aren't specified and you wouldn't take the Further Maths to A2, I wouldn't say you need it. If you want to do it just because you feel like it, go ahead but I doubt it will make much difference other than maybe improving your maths skills a little.

Also have you had a look at a course at York, BSc Accounting, Business Finance and Management? Seems like it would prepare you very well for your chosen career. The entry requirements are AAB.
Original post by RonnieRJ

Also have you had a look at a course at York, BSc Accounting, Business Finance and Management? Seems like it would prepare you very well for your chosen career. The entry requirements are AAB.

Wouldn't advise. Although York is a good university, investment banks will only, or should I say, mainly take people on from 'target universities'.

OP can feel free to PM me and I'd be glad enlighten.

Quick Reply

Latest