The Student Room Group

Sickness bug over exams- what will happen?

So I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience or known someone to be ill over exam period- I've got 2 exams left but currently have a fever and am being sick.
I'm hoping I'll be fine by Tuesday (when my exam is) but I'm panicking incase I'm not- one of my teachers said that you literally have to be at deaths door to get away with missing it, but surely they wouldn't expect me to sit the exam if I keep leaving to be sick?
Just looking for any guidance on what might happen if I'm still ill!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
As far as I'm aware, there is nothing you can do unfortunately. Just try and relax before the exam and don't stress yourself out too much. The same thing happened to me during my GCSEs

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was sick over my AS exams and I went to the exams office (in my college) and they gave me a form to complete about my illness and they sent it to the exam board. They game me special consideration which only increased my marks by 5 but it still helped :smile:
P.S I still sat my exams but if you miss an exam without a doctors note for proof they usually give you an X. Not sure what that means but that happened to my friend who was sick but didn't have a doctors note
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheIndecent
I was sick over my AS exams and I went to the exams office (in my college) and they gave me a form to complete about my illness and they sent it to the exam board. They game me special consideration which only increased my marks by 5 but it still helped :smile:

Which exam board was it?
Original post by FluffyCherry
Which exam board was it?

OCR Chemistry increased by 3 marks and AQA Psychology and biology increased by 5 marks
If you are too unwell to sit the exam, and presumably have a doctor's note, then the exam board can give you a grade based on the work you've already done if you've completed half of the exams/coursework for this year.
I was so ill a week before exams, but couple days before I got better thankfully...

I think you can get a few marks extra if you're ill.

Tbh though, if I had to sit the exams the way I was, a few marks probably wouldn't have helped
Reply 7
Thanks for the replies! I haven't been sick all afternoon (tmi?) and have managed to do some good revision so I'm hoping I'm going to be fine for my last couple of exams- I'll bare your advice in mind in case I'm not though! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by crawfy
So I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience or known someone to be ill over exam period- I've got 2 exams left but currently have a fever and am being sick.
I'm hoping I'll be fine by Tuesday (when my exam is) but I'm panicking incase I'm not- one of my teachers said that you literally have to be at deaths door to get away with missing it, but surely they wouldn't expect me to sit the exam if I keep leaving to be sick?
Just looking for any guidance on what might happen if I'm still ill!

Talk to the Exam Office. We normally put candidates who are feeling sick in our sick room (which has a toilet en suite) and stop the clock for them if they are actually being sick. Mostly they aren't sick and I don't think anyone's ever been sick more than once but if they were clearly too sick to undertake the paper we'd have the evidence we needed.

Quick Reply

Latest