Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite.... watch

ReputationRep:
    Does ANYONE know the meaning or have any interpretations of this songs lyircs? I really need to know what they mean...

ReputationRep:
    Have you done a search for REM's Automatic for the People? It may reveal how some of the songs were written.

ReputationRep:
    No one actually knows what the words are, so it's kind of difficult to figure out the meaning. General consensus is that ther chorus is something like 'Call me when you try to wake her'.

One of the best things about REM (my favourite band, btw) is that their songs are full of meaning, despite the fact that the lyrics are often very ambiguous - a lot of the meaning actually comes from the listener.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanderer)
    No one actually knows what the words are, so it's kind of difficult to figure out the meaning. General consensus is that ther chorus is something like 'Call me when you try to wake her'.
    That's what they're given as in the official sheet music book. I still prefer "calling Cheryl Baker" though.

ReputationRep:
    My dad has had the album since I was about eight, and I thought for years that it was 'Calling Jamaicara'. I have no idea what 'Jamaicara' means.

ReputationRep:
    Its such a great song, I remember the first time I heard it, summer of '92, and I thought he was saying, "Call me Tasmania, Call me Tasmania." That is the beauty of REM, you can try and interpret and analyse the lyrics, but only Stipey really knows them...if I meet him, I'll definitely ask him a few questions. I think it's one of the best songs they've ever done.

ReputationRep:
    Michael Stipe is incredible indeed. I saw REM play at T in the Park last year, and it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life - they blew me away.

ReputationRep:
    I saw them at Glastonbury last year, they were really, really amazing, got right to them front and almost got crushed, but they're one of my all time favourite bands, and I had to see them at least once in my life. Such a great band.

ReputationRep:
    Michael Stipe is incredible indeed. I saw REM play at T in the Park last year, and it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life - they blew me away.
    You off to T this year?

ReputationRep:
    Yep, and for the whole weekend this time. - when See finally get around to posting my tickets that is.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, and for the whole weekend this time. - when See finally get around to posting my tickets that is.
    I've got mine *dances around*
    Can't wait, although there's only 2 of us going since the other people wanting to go didn't get their arses into gear and get their tickets before it sold out, so I might be on my own for parts of the weekend

ReputationRep:
    I'm going with my dad and uncle, so I'll probably wander off on my own for most of it - it's what I did last year. Difficult to keep with people in a crowd of moshers anyway (at least if you go to the front).

ReputationRep:
    I'm going with my dad and uncle, so I'll probably wander off on my own for most of it - it's what I did last year. Difficult to keep with people in a crowd of moshers anyway (at least if you go to the front).
    I'll be ok for the sunday anyway, I may well just sit and watch the main stage all day. Be a fair bit of movement on the saturday though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to have trouble deciding between the Pixies and Massive Attack ...

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to have trouble deciding between the Pixies and Massive Attack ...
    Are Massive Attack not headlining, so would clash with the Strokes? I'd also quite like to see Orbital and Snow Patrol. Aah, decisions.

ReputationRep:
    Orbital are playing! That's news to me. *trundles off to check website*

ReputationRep:
    Orbital are playing! That's news to me. *trundles off to check website*
    Yup, one of their last ever shows, which just adds to the dilemma. For me its between Massive Attack and Orbital should they both headline. I should imagine orbital will since its one of their last ever shows - I can't see how Snow Patrol would headline over them. Either way 2 of Orbital, Pixies and Massive Attack will clash.

ReputationRep:
    Just checked, Snow Patrol are headlining King Tuts stage (http://www.tinthepark.com) - I'll see Orbital instead of the Pixies then.

ReputationRep:
    Just checked, Snow Patrol are headlining King Tuts stage (http://www.tinthepark.com) - I'll see Orbital instead of the Pixies then.
    I just get the feeling they'll swap Snow Patrol and Orbital around.

ReputationRep:
    REM are fookin amazing

I have the greatest Hits but i don't think this song is on it which is strange

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 31, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.