The Student Room Group

EPQ topics for Chemistry

:cookie:

I've recently started my EPQ but I can't decide on a topic. Orginally, I was considering doing something related to my Nuffield Project although I'm not sure it might be suitable since my Chemistry teacher told me that it might have been difficult to write about transition metals and it can get messy so I opted out for the option. She then did recommend me the option of discussing the importance of optical isomerism in the drug Thalidomide which lead to the Thalidomide disaster however I felt like there was no room for genuine debate between differing opinions (if there are even differing opinions) :redface:

I have been considering one of the following two topics, either between the safety of Flouride in water or the safety of the food additive Aspartame (E951), both topics are quite controversial and there's much debate about them

But there seems to be a problem though, I feel like doing an entire EPQ on the safety of Flouride in water would be too basic to discuss (its something you learn about at GCSE if I'm not correct) and I feel like if I did an EPQ about the safety of the food additive Aspartame (E951), it would seem like I'd be doing an EPQ on pharmacology if anything rather than looking at chemistry. :redface:

I want a topic which is related to chemistry but is open for debate. Any opinions?
I'm quite interested in Aspartame but I'm just not sure. :colondollar:

@Nirgilis, @Neuth any suggestions? :colondollar:
Reply 1
Maybe you should do it about something you really don't know much about so you can find out loads while doing it? There are a few documentaries I have seen on things like "the spirit molecule" and how some drugs have a very similar structure to things naturally occurring in our bodies, but one tweak and it's a hallucinogen. There would be plenty of research in the field of drugs (both recreational and medical) and I personally find these very interesting. However I understand that you may not. Make sure you do something that you'll actually enjoy researching and writing up 5000 words on!
Reply 2
Original post by RonnieRJ
Maybe you should do it about something you really don't know much about so you can find out loads while doing it? There are a few documentaries I have seen on things like "the spirit molecule" and how some drugs have a very similar structure to things naturally occurring in our bodies, but one tweak and it's a hallucinogen. There would be plenty of research in the field of drugs (both recreational and medical) and I personally find these very interesting. However I understand that you may not. Make sure you do something that you'll actually enjoy researching and writing up 5000 words on!

I don't exactly know much about the food additive Aspartame until yesterday when I googled up controversial topics related to Chemistry and found that Coke Cola removed the food additive from their drinks. There's loads of information about the food additive and many varying opinions about the food additive and I believe it is has been more rigorously tested than nearly all food additives.
I do understand what you mean though, like for instance the optical isomer of the drug Thalidomide caused so many probelms, the optical isomer of alpha-glucose is believed to be more expensive than gold but really really useful though. Isomerism has been a topic I'm contemplating on but I don't feel like there are varying opinions about the topic though.
Reply 3
Original post by Feraligatr
I don't exactly know much about the food additive Aspartame until yesterday when I googled up controversial topics related to Chemistry and found that Coke Cola removed the food additive from their drinks. There's loads of information about the food additive and many varying opinions about the food additive and I believe it is has been more rigorously tested than nearly all food additives.
I do understand what you mean though, like for instance the optical isomer of the drug Thalidomide caused so many probelms, the optical isomer of alpha-glucose is believed to be more expensive than gold but really really useful though. Isomerism has been a topic I'm contemplating on but I don't feel like there are varying opinions about the topic though.

Right I see. It is a broad topic but if you do want to do isomerism you must pick a single title within that topic that you can explain fairly fully within the essay.

Also you don't need many "opinions" and etc. Most of the marks come from your log book and research rather than the final piece (as we were told in an EPQ talk) and the examiners would rather see the process you went through to gain the information for your essay.

I wouldn't worry as much about different viewpoints. Of course you want to include varying arguments but I wouldn't throw away a topic because there might be little controversy.

Also speak to your mentor or whoever you have for the EPQ as they can help you approve the topic that you pick (although they can't tell you what to actually do) :smile:
Hey my idea was also to do my epq on water fluoridation, I was wondering whether it would be allowed for people to do the same topic but different question?

Quick Reply

Latest