The Student Room Group

Job Seekers should be made to pay Dole money back.

I hereby believe that JSA Claimants should be loaned their dole money and required to repay this once they are in employment.

They should also submit what they spend the dole money on to the Job Centre to allow this to be inputted into the system to allow all of us to see what it is spent on.

Any genuine claimant would be more than happy to abide by this and agree to these rules.

Scroll to see replies

They already do this, its called tax
Reply 2
Original post by Smilin’ Knight
They already do this, its called tax

By undertaking my idea then the money gets re invested in policing,healthcare,education, the important stuff.
Reply 3
Then surely that would be an incentive to not bother getting another job?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lil-Sonic
By undertaking my idea then the money gets re invested in policing,healthcare,education, the important stuff.

Original post by Klatie
Then surely that would be an incentive to not bother getting another job?

yup. thats still tax.
Great idea if those that succeeded in getting a job from Jobseekers went straight into high-paying jobs, the problem is and I guess it depends how heavily you want repayments. Many will still not be able to afford it, some even with their jobs get barely enough to live on.

You clearly don't understand how tax works. Have you ever had a job?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
If this was on top of any original income tax etc, it would only worsen the poverty gap and increase voluntary unemployment. So by giving out loans rather than basic 'dole money', you're going to be spending even more money on welfare...
Reply 8
Original post by DiddyDec
You clearly don't understand how tax works. Have you ever had a job?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I'm currently work for a leading respectable UK based company and this idea will incentive the lazy in to work.
Yes, I'm currently work for a leading respectable UK based company and this idea will incentive the lazy in to work.

It'll do the opposite.

Reasonably sure ensuring people are employed is "important stuff".

Ensuring JSA gets people into employment brings back more money in the long run and with proposals like yours making it even harder for those who aren't in a strong economic position, then has a knock on effect effectively losing more money through a less active work-abled population and increasing risk of health issues related to lack of work, and who will be paying for that? Yes, you and me.

How will it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12

Because they won't want the goverement on their back chasing the debt of JSA
Because they won't want the goverement on their back chasing the debt of JSA

How could the government get money from them if they have no money?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
They should also submit what they spend the dole money on to the Job Centre to allow this to be inputted into the system to allow all of us to see what it is spent on.

With respect, I especially disagree with this part (I had just been thinking over it now).
In my opinion, if you are given money and are entitled to it, then this is Your money and you have the right to spend it however you like, without having to declare how or on what exactly you have spent it. Plus, I may have bought something quite private on it and do not wish to disclose it to anyone else.
This is especially so if you are given the money as a loan and will be repaying it back (as is being proposed).
I think declaring or disclosing how exactly you have spent it should only be on voluntary basis if at all.
In my opinion, it is like this: you are either entitled to the money OR you are not.
You should not be made to disclose how the money was spent.
Otherwise, we may get into the territory of classifications and prescriptions of "Right, Legitimate" and "Wrong, Illegitimate" ways to use and spend that money.
Plus (and no offence or disrespect to any people) there is no guarantee that people's submissions to Job Centres will actually match how the money was Really spent.
There will be no way to know that for sure anyway, obviously. Even if you are required to bring and present receipts for your every spending.
Reply 15

Posted from TSR Mobile

magic money
Don't feed the troll.
Reply 17

Posted from TSR Mobile

By taking their home/car/personal items away if they refuse.
By taking their home/car/personal items away if they refuse.

So by making them poorer which will result in them losing their jobs. I'm seeing a pattern here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Half of people living in poverty actually do a full time job. This would make it almost impossible to lift yourself out of poverty.

Not that I care cause I'm never going to have a job anyway :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending