Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chezdon)
    How long you been doing it? Hope it gets better for you. Sounds tough.

I’m having trouble deciding what to do myself. I want to go to university Sept 2018 so have about a year and a half to prepare. I have BBD (PE, Business, Maths) at A Level which isn’t enough to get me in to a physiotherapy course. The three I’m looking at want AAB, ABB or BBB (KCL,SGUL, UEL) or 45 merit/distinction in an access course. I therefore have two options. If I want KCL which looks to be the superior option then I’ll need to do the access course.

There’s almost no way I’m getting two As at A Level in this amount of time. However if I was to do Biology A level and get an A, it would open the other two unis up for me. Smashing the Access course would open up all three unis. However, am I right in saying Unis will look preferably on A levels to an access course?

What makes my situation a little more complicated is I’m in New Zealand on a working holiday visa until June 2017. I’m thinking about starting a biology A level via distance learning and then seeing where I am come June. Maybe I could still do the access course from Sept 17 if the biology A level isn’t going to plan. It will be good to start studying anyway and I’m sure some of the material I learn will help me.

What do you think? You guys who worked and studied access course did you work part time in the evenings or study in the evenings?
    Me personaly i am currently unemployed but others on my course do actually work. Some work part time and some work full time, all depends on your personal circumstances.

I have just been set my first ever assignment and I must admit i am *****ing my self. Lol

ReputationRep:
    Ive just started an access to science course, which is really hard considering i work full tim and have been out of education for some time.

If you can do the A levels and get a good grade than fair play how ever the acess course is just an intense A level cutting out the extra unnecessary stuff that you dont need. If you apply your self to the course you will do well, as the college needs you to pass.

From you do your first few assignment you will get a drifnof how to do the others and how to gain higher marks.

I like it because there are older student meaning they are ther to learn and we all have the same end goadl; Uni.

(Original post by Chezdon)
    How long you been doing it? Hope it gets better for you. Sounds tough.

I’m having trouble deciding what to do myself. I want to go to university Sept 2018 so have about a year and a half to prepare. I have BBD (PE, Business, Maths) at A Level which isn’t enough to get me in to a physiotherapy course. The three I’m looking at want AAB, ABB or BBB (KCL,SGUL, UEL) or 45 merit/distinction in an access course. I therefore have two options. If I want KCL which looks to be the superior option then I’ll need to do the access course.

There’s almost no way I’m getting two As at A Level in this amount of time. However if I was to do Biology A level and get an A, it would open the other two unis up for me. Smashing the Access course would open up all three unis. However, am I right in saying Unis will look preferably on A levels to an access course?

What makes my situation a little more complicated is I’m in New Zealand on a working holiday visa until June 2017. I’m thinking about starting a biology A level via distance learning and then seeing where I am come June. Maybe I could still do the access course from Sept 17 if the biology A level isn’t going to plan. It will be good to start studying anyway and I’m sure some of the material I learn will help me.

What do you think? You guys who worked and studied access course did you work part time in the evenings or study in the evenings?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig Beardsley)
    I am currenty studying access to social work and i am currently finding it differcult with the amount of content that you have to obsorb in and remember, not to mention the assignments. Acces is very intense and you have to 100% committee to the course. I am having secomd thoughts, as I am writing this message.
    Did you drop out then Craig??

ReputationRep:
    Hey, great post.

I really want to know what I can expect from the access to humanities course. Subjects I'm interested in are politics, law, literary studies, philosophy, and sociology. If anyone is currently on a humanities access course, could you post the brief to one of your assignments up on here? I don't want your assignment that you wrote, I just want the assignment briefing. If not could you direct me to somewhere where I could see an example?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    hi
    My name is aisha,I m 37 years old ,I came from pakistan 9 years ago ,I did BSC from my country 18 years ago.I want to study here dont know what to do,I want to do pharmacy so please tell me what I do can I do gcse first or from where I start .I live in birmingham solihull

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aisha ash)
    hi
    My name is aisha,I m 37 years old ,I came from pakistan 9 years ago ,I did BSC from my country 18 years ago.I want to study here dont know what to do,I want to do pharmacy so please tell me what I do can I do gcse first or from where I start .I live in birmingham solihull
    The pharmacy schools might accept your BSc from your country. If they don't, an access course and GCSE Maths + English would be necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aisha ash)
    hi
    Hi Aisha, Birmingham is a big city. I can find four universities, and one university/college that will hopefully offer the access qualification you most likely need. Here are their numbers, please call them on monday to make further enquiries, thanks!

John.

0121 414 3344 University of Birmingham Admissions Office, Phone

Birmingham city University Admissions+44 (0)121 331 6295
    Aston university +44 (0) 121 204 3030
    South and city college 08001116311
    Newman university 0121 476 1181

Don't mention it.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hello,

Just thought I'd add that the University of London also has an International Foundation Programme: http://www.londoninternational.ac.uk/ifp.

This programme is equivalent to A levels and has been designed to provide students with the skills and knowledge to prepare them for undergraduate study. It can be completed in one to three years. On completion of the programme, students can continue on to a number of undergraduate programmes offered through the University of London International Programmes. Most other UK Universities will also accept successful completion of the International Foundation Programme as meeting their entry criteria for certain courses.

In addition, a number of our undergraduate programmes have CertHE or Work Experience Entry Routes, which grant access to those who have GCSEs but not A levels.

ReputationRep:
    This is probably unlikely but at the open university or Birkbeck do they have biomed or medicine courses. How does this work if so? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Demi.star)
    This is probably unlikely but at the open university or Birkbeck do they have biomed or medicine courses. How does this work if so? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Birkbeck does biomedicine, yes, The OU does Health Sciences, and Natural Sciences with a Biology route.

http://www.bbk.ac.uk/study/2017/unde...bject/biology/
    http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/find/biomedical-sciences

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)

Alternative Routes into University

This is a list of the various alternative routes into university for people who, for whatever reason, didn't do or couldn't do A levels. If you have any questions which are not covered in the FAQs, post them below! Open the Spoilers to see a list of FAQs.

Access to Higher Education (HE) Diploma

Access to HE Diplomas (also known as Access courses) are designed to prepare people without traditional qualifications for university. Access courses are the best established and most common route into university for mature students and students without A levels. Each year more than 20,000 people apply to university after doing an Access course. There is a large community of Access students in the Mature Students forum.

Spoiler:
    Show

Are there entry requirements?
    Most colleges require students to have GCSEs (grade C or above) in English and Mathematics.

Do universities accept the Access to HE Diploma?
    Yes, they are accepted by most universities, including Oxford and Cambridge! If you know what degree you want to do then it would be a good idea to speak to a university admissions tutor about Access courses and ask what subjects they recommend you take.

Where can I do an Access to HE Diploma?
    Most FE colleges in England and Wales offer them. Visit your local college's website to see if they do them, or search the QAA Database to find your nearest course. Scottish students can take a similar course known as the Scottish Wider Access Programme.

How much does it cost and how do I pay for it?
    The cost varies but usually between £1,000 and £3,000. If you are aged between 16 and 18 then you don't pay any fees. If you are 19 or older you can use take out an Advanced Learning Loan to cover the course fees, you don't have to repay this loan if you graduate from university with a degree.

Am I too old?
    No, there's no upper-age limit!

How long do they last?
    Full-time Access courses last one year, part-time Access courses usually last two years.

Are Access to HE courses available in different subjects?
    Yes, there are many different subjects available. The most common are Law, Teaching, Nursing, Science, Humanities, Social Sciences, Computing and Business. Some courses are career-focused (e.g. Nursing) whilst other courses allow students to progress onto many different degrees (e.g. Science).

Does my Access to HE course have to be in the same subject area as the one I am going to study at university?
    Generally yes, although the subjects you study within the Access course are more important than the name of the course itself. Tip: Look at the A level requirements for the degree you want to do and choose an Access course which offers those subjects. If in doubt, contact the university and ask them.

Foundation Year

A foundation year is an extra year of study at the start of a university course. It enables students who do not meet the course entry requirements to fill the gaps in their knowledge. If you pass the foundation year, you automatically move into the first year of your chosen degree. Please note, foundation years are not the same as international foundation years - the latter are courses for international students who want to study in the UK but either don't have the right qualifications or need to improve their English language skills before starting a degree.

Spoiler:
    Show

Who are foundation years for?
    There are several reasons why you might take a foundation year:

You might not have any formal qualifications.
    You might have taken A levels but in the wrong subjects.
    You might not have got the grades you need for the degree you want to do.

Entry requirements vary considerably. It is possible to do a foundation year without any formal qualifications, however many universities do require GCSEs (grade C or above) in English and Mathematics. Some universities also require A levels (or equivalent qualifications), especially for popular courses like Medicine or Engineering.

Where can I do a foundation year?
    Foundation years are taken at the university you intend to do your degree at. You apply through UCAS for a course that includes a foundation year, for example: "BSc Physics with Foundation Year". Search the UCAS course database for universities that offer foundation years.

[How do I pay for it?
    If your foundation year is part of a degree then you pay university tuition fees. You will receive a loan to cover the cost of fees and you don't start repaying your loan until you leave university and earn more than £21,000 a year. You will also have access to maintenance loans which cover the cost of food and accommodation. Some universities charge lower fees for foundation years, or offer extra bursaries.

How long do they last?
    One year.

Is a foundation year the same as a foundation degree?
    No! Unlike a foundation year, a foundation degree is a qualification in itself, equivalent to two years of university.

Distance learning A-levels

If you want to do A levels but can't attend school or college consider studying them at home. You can either use a distance-learning provider or study them independently. This is a good option if you don’t know what degree you want to do. Doing A levels in different subjects is a great way to keep your options open. Remember to download past papers from the relevant exam board websites, and make use of the Study Help forums and A level study help page.

Spoiler:
    Show

No, although preferably you will have GCSEs in the subjects you want to take at A level.

Are they the same as school-based A levels?
    Yes, they are exactly the same qualification.

Where can I do distance-learning A levels?
    There are several providers; the National Extension College is one of the most reputable but you can find others online. You study at home and take your exams at an exam centre (this could be a local school, college or community centre).

How much does it cost?
    Between £400 and £600 per A level. You cannot use the 19+ loan to cover the cost of distance learning A levels. If you study an A level independently then your only costs are the exam fee (around £50) and textbooks.

How long do they last?
    Each A level will take around 300 hours of study time. You can do the AS and A2 exams in the same year, or spread the A level out over two years.

OpenPlus

OpenPlus is a partnership between The Open University (OU) and other leading universities to create a more affordable and flexible route into a science degree. If you decide to do OpenPlus, remember to visit the Open University forum to talk to other OU students and discuss specific modules.

Spoiler:
    Show

How does it work?
    For the first two years you study with the Open University, taking science modules at home with the support of an OU tutor, using printed and online learning resources sent to you by the OU. You may also be required to take part in a one week residential school at the OU to learn practical laboratory skills. Once you have completed the OU modules you will transfer to your chosen university and finish your degree there.

What subjects can I study?
    The OpenPlus programme has three main subject pathways, Chemistry, Environmental Science and Physics. For information about what OU modules you can study, click here. For information on specific degrees available and at which universities, click here.

There are no formal entry requirements for the Open University part of the OpenPlus course. You can only transfer to your partner university and finish the degree if you pass the OU modules. Your partner university may also require GCSEs in English and/or Maths.

How do I apply?
    You apply directly to your chosen partner university. If your application is successful then your partner university will forward your details to the Open University. Click here for the contact information for all OpenPlus partner universities.

Who will award my degree?
    Your degree will be awarded by your partner university.

How do I pay for it?
    You can get a student loan to cover the cost of both the Open University and partner university tuition fees.

Birkbeck, University of London

Birkbeck College offers a number of Certificates of Higher Education (CertHE) which can be used to apply for or transfer into degree courses at other universities.

Spoiler:
    Show

There are no specific entry requirements. Birkbeck asses each applicant individually based on past qualifications, knowledge and previous work experience.

How much does it cost?
    Around £4,000. You can take out a student loan to pay for the tuition fees. There are financial implications to taking out a student loan to pay for this course, if you intend to do a degree afterwards then you may not receive full-funding. Speak to a student finance adviser for more information.

Where can I do it?
    Birkbeck College is located in London with campuses in Bloomsbury and Stratford.

Do universities accept Certificates of Higher Education for admission?
    Most do, but you should contact the university you're interested in beforehand and ask their opinion - they may ask for additional information about the course.

How long does it last?
    One year.

Foundation Degree

Foundation degrees are higher education qualifications which combine work-based learning with academic study. They are developed with employers and usually focus on a particular career (e.g. Primary Teaching). Foundation degrees are a qualification in their own right, but they're also the equivalent of the first two years of an undergraduate degree. After you've finished your foundation degree you can 'top it up' into a bachelor's degree.

Spoiler:
    Show

Yes, but they aren't as strict as degree requirements. You will at least three GCSEs A* - C (including English and Maths) or equivalent qualifications. You may also need A Levels or a BTEC, or relevant work experience.

Where can I do a foundation degree?
    Many universities and colleges offer foundation degrees, search the UCAS foundation degree course database to find one near you.

What type of person takes a foundation degree?
    A foundation degree is usually best suited to students who want to gain a qualification with a particular job in mind. The courses often combine academic learning with hands-on work experience, with many degree programmes being directly linked to a particular employer.

How much does it cost?
    Depending on where you study, between £3,000 and £9,000. You can get a student loan to cover the cost of your tuition fees. If you study full-time you can also get a means-tested maintenance loan and grant.

How long does it take?
    A full-time foundation degree will usually take two years. 'Topping-up' your foundation degree into an honours degree takes an extra year.

How do I apply?
    You apply through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS).

Do I need to 'top up' to a degree?
    No, but many people do. You don't have to do the extra year of study immediately; you can return to university at a later date if you're unsure whether it's the right option for you. Some specific jobs require you to 'top up', for example, primary and secondary teachers need to have a Bachelor's degree.

I'm not sure what I would like to do. You answered my thread, I'm just not sure to go for Business Management and start uni this September, or do a foundation or Access to HE in bio science. The Access to HE is a bit of distance away from me, and the course would require me to go in 3 times a week for the year. But it's honestly too far away really to be realistic to travel to everyday.

I feel I'd like a go at bio science or chemistry, cos I don't know if it's the right thing for me or not. Maybe it is. I'd just like a go at it really, to maybe have a taster course/session and to see assignments and teaching to see what it's like and if it is for me or not. But don't know what to do :/ what would you advise?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Owain5)
    I'm not sure what I would like to do. You answered my thread, I'm just not sure to go for Business Management and start uni this September, or do a foundation or Access to HE in bio science. The Access to HE is a bit of distance away from me, and the course would require me to go in 3 times a week for the year. But it's honestly too far away really to be realistic to travel to everyday.

I feel I'd like a go at bio science or chemistry, cos I don't know if it's the right thing for me or not. Maybe it is. I'd just like a go at it really, to maybe have a taster course/session and to see assignments and teaching to see what it's like and if it is for me or not. But don't know what to do :/ what would you advise?
    If you're not sure and want to get a taste for biology/chemistry before making a decision then I would advise you do an Access course (I explained the benefits of doing one in your other thread). You could in theory complete an Access course and then re-apply for business management if you decided science wasn't for you, you can't do that if you do a foundation year.

ReputationRep:
    If you're not sure and want to get a taste for biology/chemistry before making a decision then I would advise you do an Access course (I explained the benefits of doing one in your other thread). You could in theory complete an Access course and then re-apply for business management if you decided science wasn't for you, you can't do that if you do a foundation year.
    Thank you

Just scared of how to tell my parents about it and how to talk to my parents about it... I have told them about my thoughts before but haven't told them about this idea yet

ReputationRep:
    Help!

I have a BSc in Nursing and I am currently working full-time shifts, with 2 children, a mortgage etc... I am currently saving up for a second degree at uni in BA Fashion Design; however, I do not have any art and design qualifications of which I think I need.

I have looked into an Alevel in art but it's 3x 1.5 hours across 3 days a week and all foundation diplomas and access courses near me are also across 3 days a week which I cannot do due to needing to work full-time to save for the degree etc...

Any suggestions on how I could gain an art qualification without attending 3+ days a week?

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I'm 22, my only formal qualifications are GCSEs (all grade C), and I've decided I want to do a Psychology Degree. My best options appear to be either an Access course, a Foundation year or a CertHE. As they are so similar, my question is, if personal circumstances were to make them equally viable options, would one generally be considered a better option? From what I can gather Access courses are better established, and generally well regarded to get into most Uni's, by far the most popular option, and are also free if the degree is completed. Any advice from those in the know would be greatly appreciated.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by HandsomePostie43)
    Hi all, I'm 22, my only formal qualifications are GCSEs (all grade C), and I've decided I want to do a Psychology Degree. My best options appear to be either an Access course, a Foundation year or a CertHE. As they are so similar, my question is, if personal circumstances were to make them equally viable options, would one generally be considered a better option? From what I can gather Access courses are better established, and generally well regarded to get into most Uni's, by far the most popular option, and are also free if the degree is completed. Any advice from those in the know would be greatly appreciated.
    Access courses are most definitely the best option. They are more established, college staff know all about the university application process and will be on hand to help, and most importantly, they're effectively free.

ReputationRep:
    Access courses are most definitely the best option. They are more established, college staff know all about the university application process and will be on hand to help, and most importantly, they're effectively free.
    Ok thanks, this may sound stupid, but while researching I've seen that it can be better to take certain, less specific courses at A-level, for example, a Science A-level would be more helpful than a Psychology A-level to get onto a Psychology degree. But as access is a diploma, I assume this is not the same, and it would be more appropriate to do Psychology, is this right?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Ok thanks, this may sound stupid, but while researching I've seen that it can be better to take certain, less specific courses at A-level, for example, a Science A-level would be more helpful than a Psychology A-level to get onto a Psychology degree. But as access is a diploma, I assume this is not the same, and it would be more appropriate to do Psychology, is this right?
    That really depends on the university and the degree you want to apply for (some psychology degrees involve a lot more science than others). If in doubt, email the admission tutors at universities you are interested in and ask if they'd prefer you study psychology or science. The name of your Access course is not important, what matters is the subjects you study within it - if you can find a course than involves both psychology and biology/chemistry, that would be ideal.

ReputationRep:
    That really depends on the university and the degree you want to apply for (some psychology degrees involve a lot more science than others). If in doubt, email the admission tutors at universities you are interested in and ask if they'd prefer you study psychology or science. The name of your Access course is not important, what matters is the subjects you study within it - if you can find a course than involves both psychology and biology/chemistry, that would be ideal.
    I'm taking Psychology and Biology, but for my third choice I'm unsure because I don't like Chemistry or Physics, so I'd really rather not have to take one, but if it would play strongly in my favor when applying for uni courses I would do it, do you think one Science would be enough or would it be good idea to do two? (Human Physiology would be my ideal third choice.) I have no idea what uni's I want to go for at this stage because of all the variables involved now and in the future.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'm taking Psychology and Biology, but for my third choice I'm unsure because I don't like Chemistry or Physics, so I'd really rather not have to take one, but if it would play strongly in my favor when applying for uni courses I would do it, do you think one Science would be enough or would it be good idea to do two? (Human Physiology would be my ideal third choice.) I have no idea what uni's I want to go for at this stage because of all the variables involved now and in the future.
    I think one science is enough, if you don't like chemistry or physics then you probably won't get very good marks, and ultimately it is your grades that matter most - not what subject(s) you studied. Psychology, biology and a non-science subject will be fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.