Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I was wondering if anybody knows how many IOT courses there are a year and even better what dates they start?
    Thanks
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Six. February, April, June, August, October and December; every 8 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    except this years August IOT has been cancelled

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Wolf75)
    except this years August IOT has been cancelled
    Do you know why and if any others have been ?

ReputationRep:
    The paper work i got said it was due to an "in service training backlog" that could mean they recruited too many people in a short period, They don't have enough training staff or this is because of the new Defence Review.

I think it is the latter because there are also rumblings that they aren't taking any pilots into the October course eitherl.

ReputationRep:
    The paper work i got said it was due to an "in service training backlog" that could mean they recruited too many people in a short period, They don't have enough training staff or this is because of the new Defence Review.

I think it is the latter because there are also rumblings that they aren't taking any pilots into the October course eitherl.

This whole situation is really pi$$ing me off. I applied in October and had my AFCO interview in Dec. I had a date for OASC of APril 27th which got cancelled due to "staff shortages", and now it looks ike when I eventually go down at the end of June there are no jobs to apply for!!! I think it 's a bit of a jooke the way candidates are just left hanging for months on end with no knowledge oo what's going on.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't get any better when your selected mate. I got a scholarship in August 2003 and i've been bumped back 4 IOT courses so I don't start till April 2005. That's 20 months between selection and starting.

ReputationRep:
    Wow.

The words "that", "really" and "sucks" don't seem to do justice

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't get any better when your selected mate. I got a scholarship in August 2003 and i've been bumped back 4 IOT courses so I don't start till April 2005. That's 20 months between selection and starting.
    That's really quite ridiculous! I don't like the way they can just keep you hanging on and hanging on while you waste your life! If I don't get in i'll have wasted almost 9 months trying, and if they bloody tell me to come back in a year I think i'll explode!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wait until youget inand are introduced to "holding".....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Wait until youget inand are introduced to "holding".....
    Yeah but once you are in that's it, and at least you are getting paid!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Getting paid well to do a rubbish, pointless job is still, at the end of the day, doing a rubbish pointless job...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wzz)
    Getting paid well to do a rubbish, pointless job is still, at the end of the day, doing a rubbish pointless job...
    I'd still sooner be doing a pointless, boring job in the RAF than a pointless boring job on civvy street while I wait for my results!
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I have to agree with you on that one!

ReputationRep:
    Icklecathy:

The thing that annoys me the most about the application and selection process is that it has been made almost impossible for me to hold down a decent job! I've finished Uni, and promised myself that I wouldn't waste 6-9 months working as a waiter, in the hope that my RAF application is successful. I decided that I should get a 'decent' job that will improve my CV, so that if the RAF wants me, I can leave, and if they don't, I'm not back at square one.
    The problem arises when you have to take a week off to go to OASC. Prior to that you need to take random days off for station visits and briefings at the AFCO. I don't want my employer to know what I'm doing, as that will clearly send out bad signals to them. I intend to book a week's "holiday" when I sneak off to Cranwell, but what happens if they cancel my OASC? Do I turn round to my employer and say, "Actually, you know I booked that holiday? Well I'm now going in a month's time, is that OK?"
    They're going to think I'm either crazy, or up to something. When it comes to those random days off, do I keep going sick? Large blue-chip businesses don't like their employees taking odd days off, I don't suppose the RAF would approve of their employees doing this either.
    I have a job offer, a good one, but I'm seriously considering whether I can hold this job down, whilst I'm going through the RAF recruitment process. Part of me knows that I can't burn my bridges at this stage, and need to keep other career options alive. But part of me also doubts whether I can offer the commitment this company deserves from me, whilst the RAF are demanding so much.

It's a big dilemma, and I'm sure I'm not alone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by js_atco)
    Icklecathy:

The thing that annoys me the most about the application and selection process is that it has been made almost impossible for me to hold down a decent job! I've finished Uni, and promised myself that I wouldn't waste 6-9 months working as a waiter, in the hope that my RAF application is successful. I decided that I should get a 'decent' job that will improve my CV, so that if the RAF wants me, I can leave, and if they don't, I'm not back at square one.
    The problem arises when you have to take a week off to go to OASC. Prior to that you need to take random days off for station visits and briefings at the AFCO. I don't want my employer to know what I'm doing, as that will clearly send out bad signals to them. I intend to book a week's "holiday" when I sneak off to Cranwell, but what happens if they cancel my OASC? Do I turn round to my employer and say, "Actually, you know I booked that holiday? Well I'm now going in a month's time, is that OK?"
    They're going to think I'm either crazy, or up to something. When it comes to those random days off, do I keep going sick? Large blue-chip businesses don't like their employees taking odd days off, I don't suppose the RAF would approve of their employees doing this either.
    I have a job offer, a good one, but I'm seriously considering whether I can hold this job down, whilst I'm going through the RAF recruitment process. Part of me knows that I can't burn my bridges at this stage, and need to keep other career options alive. But part of me also doubts whether I can offer the commitment this company deserves from me, whilst the RAF are demanding so much.

It's a big dilemma, and I'm sure I'm not alone!
    I know exactly how you feel. I've been offered a Graduate Trainee Position on good money, starting Sep. In the meantime i'm waiting for my OASC results (went 1 wk ago), and get the feeling I will more than likely be shortlisted, which means I won't get a def yes or no until August. So what do I do about the job i've been offered? I can delay signing for about a week, but after that i'll have to move on it, and I might not have heard from the RAF by then!

I just hope they realise how much they are screwing with my life, and my head!

ReputationRep:
    I'm just about to head off to OASC and need to know whether to return to my serious job in september, or hang about temping on the off chance I get a positive answer from the raf in the next few months!!
    Anyone got any idea how long it takes to actually get signed up if you are sucessful, especially if I am going to OASC in August for pilot and WSO?
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesfyvie)
    I'm just about to head off to OASC and need to know whether to return to my serious job in september, or hang about temping on the off chance I get a positive answer from the raf in the next few months!!
    Anyone got any idea how long it takes to actually get signed up if you are sucessful, especially if I am going to OASC in August for pilot and WSO?
    Cheers
    I was at OASC 2 weeks ago. We were told the earliest IOT with vacancies is Dec, and that is filling up quickly, the next after that will be Feb, and I heard a rumoour next April has been cancelled.

I would most definitely keep this other job on, you could have months to wait yet.

Pilot and WSO are unbelieveably competitive at the moment - Pilot recruitment has almost been halved for this financial year.

ReputationRep:
    Next April's IOT had better not be bloody cancelled because that's the one i'm on.

I know this August has been cancelled but I haven't been sent anything to say that April has been cancelled.

ReputationRep:
    Next April's IOT had better not be bloody cancelled because that's the one i'm on.

I know this August has been cancelled but I haven't been sent anything to say that April has been cancelled.
    Hmm, well I don't know how reliable all this stuff on the grapevine is. I hope for your sake after all your waiting it isn't! Why couldn't you go into Dec's if there are still places?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.