The Student Room Group

EU Freedom of movement, has there ever been a more idiotic idea in history?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by yo radical one
But OP, you are a capitalist, surely you should support the free movement of labour throughout markets?

:curious:

1) I'm not a mega-capitalist, I just don't believe in the leftie "spread the wealth, but not the effort" mantra.

Even if I was a capitalist, ****ing-up your own country (the one you'd have to live in with all your money) to become rich doesn't seem worth it.
Reply 21
Original post by billydisco
and all they have to do is pretend they are looking for a job.

Well, no. As I've said, if they go beyond a reasonable time period then it's perfectly within our country's rights to get them to leave.

If you cant afford to live in London, tough. Move to Bolton.

I have no idea what the relevance of this is supposed to be.

Once the UK is made poorer, to make Romania wealthier?

You don't make somewhere wealthier by making its neighbours poorer. You make somewhere wealthier by making its neighbours wealthier. Which is what the EU is doing.

Were the Romanians sleeping in Hyde Park for 2 years, working? Thats news to me.

I mean, its not like we have a housing shortage...... :rolleyes:

Then build more houses. It's not like the UK is short of space: we're not Kowloon.

As to people sleeping rough, that's an issue of UK law and enforcement - nothing to do with the EU.
Reply 22
Original post by an_atheist
I completely agree with the OP, but the title asks whether or not something more idiotic has been thought up. The answer is yes, and that is religion

You must be joking?

Religion is quite possibly the greatest method ever invented by man to get people to do what you want them to do.

Not to mention a fantastic way of making money.

(The only thing I can think of (off the top of my head mind) that even comes close to achieving religions power is/was the mini-skirt.)
Original post by BrightBlueLight
Freedom of movement cannot exist if we are letting poverty stricken, corruption infested countries like romania, bulgaria, slovakia, lithuania, moldova etc Freedom of movement means eastern Europeans flood into the UK, it happened with Poland and its now happening with all those other state I mentioned. The EU should have been kept a western European club

if you think thats bad wait until Bosnia and Albania join.

Albanians make up the largest amount of asylum seekers in the EU

But Moldova isn't yet in the EU though? :confused:
A minority of the UK support foxhunting, a majority of Spain supports bullfighting.

Not true at all. A poll by the Spanish culture ministry showed that only 29% of the population supported bullfighting, 76% opposed to public funds supporting it, and only around 7% of respondents actually saw a bullfight more than once a year. That's more or less similar to the percentage in the UK who oppose fox hunting (around 76%). Bullfighting is even banned in Catalonia.

Source: http://www.hsi.org/world/europe/news/releases/2013/04/spain_bullfighting_ipsos_poll_042313.html
Reply 25
Original post by L i b
Then build more houses. It's not like the UK is short of space: we're not Kowloon.

Will be if we build more houses like you suggest. Countryside vs building more houses due to Eastern European immigration..... oooooo its a toughie.... not!

Original post by L i b
As to people sleeping rough, that's an issue of UK law and enforcement - nothing to do with the EU.

So they weren't allowed in due to EU Freedom of Movement laws?
Reply 26
Original post by Fango_Jett
Not true at all. A poll by the Spanish culture ministry showed that only 29% of the population supported bullfighting, 76% opposed to public funds supporting it, and only around 7% of respondents actually saw a bullfight more than once a year. That's more or less similar to the percentage in the UK who oppose fox hunting (around 76%). Bullfighting is even banned in Catalonia.

Source: http://www.hsi.org/world/europe/news/releases/2013/04/spain_bullfighting_ipsos_poll_042313.html

How many people attend fox hunts in the UK? Few thousand?
How many people attend bullfighting in Spain? Hundreds of thousands?
Reply 27
Original post by pinkteddyx64

Oh so the rest of his point must be invalid.....
Reply 28
Out of ALL arguments you could have come up with to support your 'some countries are barbaric' argument, you choose the bullfighting in Spain. Seriously? Like what the actual ****...
Original post by pinkteddyx64

My mistake
Reply 30
Flawed arguments kind of lose their power, yes. You can't take someone who doesn't know what they are talking about seriously... If you want to be taken seriously in a debate, get your facts straight don't just blurt out ideas.
Oh so the rest of his point must be invalid.....

Only 7% of respondents said they attending a bullfight once a year, and 75% said they haven't attended one in five years. Hardly a "culture of violence".

Yes, it's more than how many people attend fox hunting, but almost certainly because of the fact that its legal. I doubt that fox-hunting would have as few participants if it the ban was repealed.

Please don't just keep spouting crap, especially when it's so blatantly wrong, you could correct yourself with a google search. Though, that's probably asking too much from a billydisco thread.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 32
The freedom of movement is a great concept. It allows labour to go where the demand is, people to freely see new places etc. However, it is flawed - mainly by the EU allowing weaker economies into the union. If only the strongest economies in Europe were in the EU, we probably wouldn't be seeing the issues that we have today - namely huge bailouts to failing economies and yes, unskilled labour coming into the uk.

As the EU won't kick out all the weaker economies, then I would say the better thing to do would to be restrict the freedom of movement of labour to skilled workers and the sectors which need more workers.
Reply 33
I might be naive but I think we'll reach a state of equilibrium within the next 20 years or so. The 'migration wave' is temporary in my opinion
It's fine if we just have the western European countries that are all rich lol.
Original post by an_atheist
I completely agree with the OP, but the title asks whether or not something more idiotic has been thought up. The answer is yes, and that is religion

Are you religious?
Original post by LenaSim
Flawed arguments kind of lose their power, yes. You can't take someone who doesn't know what they are talking about seriously... If you want to be taken seriously in a debate, get your facts straight don't just blurt out ideas.

it was not a flawed argument though. You have jumped on ONE mistake in my statement and then deviously proclaimed my whole statement to be flawed. that is a very underhand and dishonest way of discussing a topic.
The UK benefits from a net gain of £20bn from EU migrant labour every year, the argument about benefits is invalid, stop blaming foreigners for all the UKs problems
(edited 8 years ago)
Free movement of peoples is a fundamental right - I should be free to move where I wish, regardless of which country I come from. It is true that some parts of the EU have poor economies, but that does not mean, as has been suggested, that these countries are dreadful places to live. The suggestion that Eastern Europe is terrible and the UK is some 'paradise' is simply bigoted British nationalistic exceptionalism. Eastern European countries have much to contribute to the EU, and the EU has much to contribute to eastern European countries, hence the EU accepted those nations.

The whole principle of free movement seeks to stimulate economic growth through removing barriers to employment- the UK has benefitted from this system, in the same way that poorer nations have too. If you think pragmatically, the EU will gradually bolster those poorer nations, and the European economy and the European people will benefit as a result.

Where is your sense of common endeavour? Rather than suggest that free movement is the issue, why not fight for the raising of European living standards, wages, liberal values & the reduction of wealth inequality? People seem to forget that, while some nations benefit from the capitalist system (such as the UK), there are always going to be losers- such is the nature of the system. Why then do you stigmatise those who wish to increase their own possibilities and opportunities? It is not the fault of migrants, it is the fault of nationalistic and laissez-faire economic beliefs in one's 'entitlement' to monetary excess.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by BrightBlueLight
it was not a flawed argument though. You have jumped on ONE mistake in my statement and then deviously proclaimed my whole statement to be flawed. that is a very underhand and dishonest way of discussing a topic.

one mistake = flawed argument

It's not dishonest at all. If you make such silly mistakes how can anyone be sure that your arguments are based on anything else but some vague ideas in your head?

And btw I did not jump at your argument at all. I just explained that even small mistakes(and this one was big) makes an argument weak and imho irrelevant.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending