The Student Room Group

Do you think that Monday and Friday's Further Maths papers will be hard

Well I've been practising further maths for about 6 months and I'm just managing to get a B. Can anyone recommend anything to get A*/A grades

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OGGUS
Well I've been practising further maths for about 6 months and I'm just managing to get a B. Can anyone recommend anything to get A*/A grades

Do ALL the past papers and specimen papers- it's really useful because it gives you a feel for the sort of questions they like to ask :smile:
Reply 2
I am doing that but something more
Reply 3
By the way have been taught further maths? or are you self-learning?
Original post by OGGUS
By the way have been taught further maths? or are you self-learning?

I've been taught it, so i'm quite lucky in that aspect. However, my teacher is not fantastic so for harder parts of the course, it was up to me to understand it- either via textbooks or asking other maths teachers, and then doing loads of questions out of my FM textbook. What about you?
Reply 5
I well have to self-teach but I have brothers who can teach me they do mathematics as a degree in University and yes they still live with their parents. So i am okay with most of it
Original post by OGGUS
I well have to self-teach but I have brothers who can teach me they do mathematics as a degree in University and yes they still live with their parents. So i am okay with most of it

You're lucky! My parents stopped being able to help with maths homework this year- they could do the easy gcse stuff, but have forgotten must of the FM stuff they were taught in school over 20 years ago. What do you find tricky about the course?
I find Past Papers by far the best.

For the actual exam though I recommend reading and re-reading the question multiple times and be sure of what they are asking you. I find that the topics are not harder its just the way the questions are worded and given to you is just more complex to understand. If you have learnt the specification they can't ask you anything you don't know, you just have to figure out what they are asking for.

For topics like factorising the questions seem harder but they use most of the same principles as normal maths.
Reply 8
Well I find matrices transformation hard sometimes, that question with define this = this. Perpendicular lines, functions a little bit hard, curves on graphs and 3D shapes cones & cylinders. Also sometime trigonometry in cuboids.
Reply 9
Original post by TomLumborg
I find Past Papers by far the best.

For the actual exam though I recommend reading and re-reading the question multiple times and be sure of what they are asking you. I find that the topics are not harder its just the way the questions are worded and given to you is just more complex to understand. If you have learnt the specification they can't ask you anything you don't know, you just have to figure out what they are asking for.

For topics like factorising the questions seem harder but they use most of the same principles as normal maths.

That's right because I can do the paper in about 30 minutes re-reading will surely help improve my grade.
Original post by OGGUS
That's right because I can do the paper in about 30 minutes re-reading will surely help improve my grade.

(It sounds like you're sarcastic so I'll assume you are)

I do the paper in about 1 hour even when I re-read the questions. I don't know how fast you do it in though but I make most of my mistakes by not fully understanding the question and not realising how "easy" it is.

You asked for help and I gave it, if you don't think it's helpful then stick with your B
Original post by OGGUS
Well I find matrices transformation hard sometimes, that question with define this = this. Perpendicular lines, functions a little bit hard, curves on graphs and 3D shapes cones & cylinders. Also sometime trigonometry in cuboids.

Well, if you give me a specific question, I can try to help :smile: no promises though- I don't like functions myself!
Reply 12
(It sounds like you're sarcastic so I'll assume you are)

I do the paper in about 1 hour even when I re-read the questions. I don't know how fast you do it in though but I make most of my mistakes by not fully understanding the question and not realising how "easy" it is.

You asked for help and I gave it, if you don't think it's helpful then stick with your B

I'm not being sarcastic, I don't have time for sarcasm, exams on Monday!. Basically I skim read questions and I don't actually try to understand I just underline important words and numbers.
Reply 13
Original post by ReeJess99
Well, if you give me a specific question, I can try to help :smile: no promises though- I don't like functions myself!

Okay let me find one i might pm you
Reply 14
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-83602-QP-JUN14.PDF Question 6, 16, 18 and 19
ReeJess99 Well, if you give me a specific question, I can try to help no promises though- I don't like functions myself!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by OGGUS
I'm not being sarcastic, I don't have time for sarcasm, exams on Monday!. Basically I skim read questions and I don't actually try to understand I just underline important words and numbers.

And you do the 1:30hr exam in 30mins?
Reply 17
And you do the 1:30hr exam in 30mins?

yeah why?
Reply 18
And I have never found maths difficult so my brain just works a little faster than the average person when doing maths
Original post by OGGUS
And I have never found maths difficult so my brain just works a little faster than the average person when doing maths

And you still get a B? I finish writing after about 45-50mins but I go back and check every question for the remainder. My school lets us leave after the first hour so I often take the chance.

I find all kinds of Maths easy as well but I don't rush the exams

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending