Considering a Law degree Watch

theboykay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm considering doing a law degree in uni. I didnt do law in a levels, so i dont really know what it includes, what its like, and even if i'll like it. Does anyone have an insight that could provide a few details. By the way my A levels are English lit, geography, biology and chemistry
Lord Jon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by theboykay)
I'm considering doing a law degree in uni. I didnt do law in a levels, so i dont really know what it includes, what its like, and even if i'll like it. Does anyone have an insight that could provide a few details. By the way my A levels are English lit, geography, biology and chemistry
I wouldn't be put off law due to your A levels if I were you. I came from a STEM background too and I just finished my first year!

I'd say if you aren't sure what it's like then you should do what you can to gain insight now. Go on visit days to law faculties, ask to do a bit of time in a local law firm, attend court cases (anyone can walk in and watch a hearing or trial)...

If you're serious about it I'd recommend having a read of "The Rule of Law" by Tom Bingham. It's a nice little intro text which should give you the gist of things

Usually in the first year you start off learning public law (all constitutional law/police powers etc...) and the other bread and butter topics like tort, criminal and contract law.

Optional modules usually come along in the second and third years!

If you got any more questions then do feel free to ask PM me!
NYU℠
Badges: 20
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lord Jon)
If you're serious about it I'd recommend having a read of "The Rule of Law" by Tom Bingham. It's a nice little intro text which should give you the gist of things
I'm not sure "The Rule of Law" is the best place to start. It's a jurisprudential work, and highly contentious at that, since it advocates a substantive rule of law, which all exclusive positivists disagree with (due to Raz's argument from authority). And, because of Raz's work, very few inclusive positivists remain, the most notable perhaps being Jules Coleman.

I would recommend something more like these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Really-Intro...duction+to+law

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Law-Very-Sho...duction+to+law

http://www.amazon.co.uk/About-Law-In...duction+to+law

Clarendon (the last link) in particular tends to have good introductory texts.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 25 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

Do you give blood?