Coping with been back at home after finishing uni Watch

S1elyak1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I officially moved out today and I'm already hating it. I miss the freedom and even doing the annoying jobs like washing my own clothes and cooking my own food. I move back to halls in September but it seems so far away. I live in a tiny village where there's nothing to do. I've applied for jobs and have an interview on Wednesday so that would make things a little better but not much. Any ideas on how to cope?
Roving Fish
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there,

You might find this thread useful?

Cheers,

RF
S1elyak1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Roving Fish)
Hi there,

You might find this thread useful?

Cheers,

RF
Thank you so much, I didn't see that when I looked
SophieSmall
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kayleighisonfire)
Thank you so much, I didn't see that when I looked
Hey I know exactly how you feel. I really struggled to cope moving back home for summer last year. I found it felt like a step backwards losing independence and felt like I had no purpose or point during those months. Luckily this year I have a 12 month house contract (which actually turned out the same price than a 9 months halls contract). It means I don't feel like I have to go home over summer (though my mum keeps nagging) and can retain independence...though it has been a bit boring. Not a fan of summer

Good luck with the job interview, hope you get it. Getting a routine into your life should help a lot.
Roving Fish
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I too am spending summer at uni, at the moment I'm researching for my dissertation but I've already got one other independent learning module almost done. Also starting a placement, again required for my course, next week which is really exciting.

I chose not to live with students for 2015/16 academic year and instead went into a young professional flat share. :yy:

Last year I went home and worked a lot. It's a really strange feeling - you're not your own person anymore.
Antifazian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There is no need to be in this situation - next summer use your imagination and do something else with the time. Backpack around somewhere on the cheap, get a live-in job elsewhere in the UK or abroad, get an internship, plan loads of days out or visits to friends and family, do a charity hitch hike, go on a massive cycling expedition etc.

You won't have long uni summers free forever so do something with them, don't sit at home moaning that you're bored!
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Jobs, projects and friends are the best ways I've found. Obviously people can't always get a summer job so look into volunteer opportunities instead, preferably ones which you'll find interesting or involve manual labour (might as well keep fit/get fitter while you're at it). For projects think of something you'd be interested in doing, whether it's going to the gym or starting a new hobby, in your case maybe making a new film which isn't constrained by your course? (that probably sounds really uneducated ) Could even mix those two together and offer to make promotional videos for charities or small businesses which I imagine would help your portfolio.
Student Roost Liverpool
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
^^ that's some really good advice. Although it doesn't feel like it - summer will absolutely fly by and you'll be back at Uni before you know it. Finding a project to keep you busy will help bide the time, but you could also maybe have a look at the reading list for next year and see if you can get ahead on stuff before you return in September? That's something I wish I'd have done over my summers!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (75)
17.24%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (280)
64.37%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.83%
Not yet but I might (59)
13.56%

Watched Threads