PensAndPaper
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Basically my cat has caught a bird.
Injured its wing you can see bone.
Put in in a ventilated shoe box
Heard that if it doesn't die of shock and/or pain it will die from septicaemia due to cats saliva
Wording if i could feed bird leftover (i know should have taken full course but found out i was allergic) penicillin
As most septic diseases are caused by gram positive bacteria so penicillin should work right ?
Could I do this until it reaches the vets ?
The Warsmith
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Put your cat down. It clearly doesn't deserve to live.

College_Dropout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No one likes birds anyway, chuck it in the oven.
_Fergo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd suggest calling am expert or something OP. As is evident already, you won't get serious replies.

(Original post by Ser Alex Toyne)

(Original post by College_Dropout)
You guys are real sweet

Posted from TSR Mobile
PensAndPaper
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ser Alex Toyne)

blah blah circle of life and all that, but the circle of life didn't ever foresee the idea that humans would be there to prevent it kay
Incubator
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by PensAndPaper)
Heard that if it doesn't die of shock and/or pain it will die from septicaemia due to cats saliva
Wording if i could feed bird leftover (i know should have taken full course but found out i was allergic) penicillin
As most septic diseases are caused by gram positive bacteria so penicillin should work right ?
Call the RSPCA, they have a bird helpline
PensAndPaper
Rep:
?
(Original post by College_Dropout)
real helpful haha
PensAndPaper
Rep:
?
(Original post by Incubator)
okay i wasn't sure if they'd see as a minority because its like a baby
The Warsmith
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The RSPB perhaps

Ripper Phoenix
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
is that a verse off a poem?
PensAndPaper
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ripper Phoenix)
is that a verse off a poem?
hahah i just wanted to get down all the facts and not ramble on
Ripper Phoenix
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
share half half with your cat okay
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
When I was quite young my cat injured a bird in our garden and I petitioned my mother to take us to the local shelter to nurse it back to health...I lifted it into our cat's carrier with some rubber gloves and we ended up walking for about half an hour on country roads - it probably would have taken half the time to get there if I hadn't been stopping to check that it was OK every few minutes
PensAndPaper
Rep:
?
for anyone interested
just spoke to online vet
she said
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about this unfortunate bird. I'm so sorry you're in this situation, but glad you're looking for the information you need.You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating. This is a difficult situation all around, and I'm reluctant to answer your question because I know I'll be providing information that's unpleasant to hear. Please rest assured that I'm answering from the perspective of a 20+ year veterinarian who also happens to be a huge practitioner of both avian medicine and wildlife rehabilitation. While I very much wish I had better news for you and I completely understand your hope and desire for this bird to be saved, I must advocate for the well-being and compassionate care of this bird. The very best thing for it would be to have it euthanized as soon as possible. Please remember I am bird vet and wildlife vet as well as a regular vet. I hate to disappoint you when you've shown such incredible compassion and a desire to help. But the sad fact is that you heard correctly: even with treatment this bird is going to die from shock or septicemia. Penicillin is not going to save it. The bacteria in a cat's mouth are not at all likely to be susceptible to penicillin. Even with hospitalization, broad-spectrum IV antibiotics and surgery, this little bird's chances of survival are slim, and - more importantly - its chances for release are essentially none. If you were my neighbor and called me to describe the situation, I would do the best I could for the bird, and that would be to put it down immediately so it wouldn't have to suffer anymore.I'm so sorry, and I want to hug you for caring so much. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I feel compelled to be honest with you.
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
for anyone interested
just spoke to online vet
she said
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about this unfortunate bird. I'm so sorry you're in this situation, but glad you're looking for the information you need.You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating. This is a difficult situation all around, and I'm reluctant to answer your question because I know I'll be providing information that's unpleasant to hear. Please rest assured that I'm answering from the perspective of a 20+ year veterinarian who also happens to be a huge practitioner of both avian medicine and wildlife rehabilitation. While I very much wish I had better news for you and I completely understand your hope and desire for this bird to be saved, I must advocate for the well-being and compassionate care of this bird. The very best thing for it would be to have it euthanized as soon as possible. Please remember I am bird vet and wildlife vet as well as a regular vet. I hate to disappoint you when you've shown such incredible compassion and a desire to help. But the sad fact is that you heard correctly: even with treatment this bird is going to die from shock or septicemia. Penicillin is not going to save it. The bacteria in a cat's mouth are not at all likely to be susceptible to penicillin. Even with hospitalization, broad-spectrum IV antibiotics and surgery, this little bird's chances of survival are slim, and - more importantly - its chances for release are essentially none. If you were my neighbor and called me to describe the situation, I would do the best I could for the bird, and that would be to put it down immediately so it wouldn't have to suffer anymore.I'm so sorry, and I want to hug you for caring so much. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I feel compelled to be honest with you.
You best kill it assuredly as soon as you possibly can then
parentlurker
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm sorry you got such bad advice. As you have been told the effort of trying to save a severely injured bird is so great that vets probably wont try unless it is an endangered species. However they will kill it humanely for you. If the bird is very active and a good weight they may try to save one that has been oiled or where the damage is slight.

Esssentially if you can catch a bird it is usually so damaged that it will die and the humane thing is to kill it quickly.
Twinpeaks
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That's so sad What bird was it?
Bloody cats ruining our natural wildlife.... This is why I'm a dog person :rant:
PensAndPaper
Rep:
?
(Original post by parentlurker)
I'm sorry you got such bad advice. As you have been told the effort of trying to save a severely injured bird is so great that vets probably wont try unless it is an endangered species. However they will kill it humanely for you. If the bird is very active and a good weight they may try to save one that has been oiled or where the damage is slight.

Esssentially if you can catch a bird it is usually so damaged that it will die and the humane thing is to kill it quickly.
Yeah thank you, the vets just took it in and its most probably going to be put down bless it
PensAndPaper
Rep:
?
(Original post by Twinpeaks)
That's so sad What bird was it?
Bloody cats ruining our natural wildlife.... This is why I'm a dog person :rant:
Yeah I know they suck. And I think it was a baby chaffinch, saddest part is their nest is outside my window, and one bird hasn't stopped chirping since 6 am so yeah
ScruffyQuaver
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Bird: "Helllpp meee"
OP: "Don't worry I'll save you!"
*Logs on to TSR*
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (136)
42.37%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (37)
11.53%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.41%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (68)
21.18%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.59%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.92%

Watched Threads