The Student Room Group

Should I do economics at A level or something else?

Hello, I'm just pondering whether I should change my option from English Literature to Economics as I've heard it is easier and helps out later in life, and I'm already doing A level Maths, Biology and Chemistry (which is a lot of work already).
Any advice? and thank you in advance
Reply 1
AS Economics is actually fantastic. At first, I was unsure about whether it was a good idea for me to choose it, but honestly, I do not regret it one bit!! I enjoyed economics at GCSE and at AS level, it just goes into more depth and context, I loved it. I do biology and chemistry alongside it as well, and it's not too bad.

I'm guessing English Lit will be really demanding at AS level, and if you want to sort of loosen your work load that comes with biology, chemistry and maths, then maybe don't choose it? It depends on where your interests lie and also your passion really. Also think ahead a little bit i.e what subject would you drop after AS and which ones would you like to continue?

Feel free to message me about anything else 😊 I hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anon1928192
it is easier

Yeah, if you're looking for an easy ride, English isn't it. Obviously, though, the harder subjects are the most rewarding. I did English at AS and I don't regret it at all.

[econ] helps out later in life

If you're doing a degree in econ, maybe. Otherwise, nah; English every time.
Reply 3
Original post by as421
AS Economics is actually fantastic. At first, I was unsure about whether it was a good idea for me to choose it, but honestly, I do not regret it one bit!! I enjoyed economics at GCSE and at AS level, it just goes into more depth and context, I loved it. I do biology and chemistry alongside it as well, and it's not too bad.

I'm guessing English Lit will be really demanding at AS level, and if you want to sort of loosen your work load that comes with biology, chemistry and maths, then maybe don't choose it? It depends on where your interests lie and also your passion really. Also think ahead a little bit i.e what subject would you drop after AS and which ones would you like to continue?

Feel free to message me about anything else 😊 I hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the reply and this helps I'm looking to go into the field of research and science tbh so I can't imagine English lit helping me out, but I don't just want to do science and maths for fear of losing interest I would like another "free" feeling subject if you know what I mean. I won't be dropping maths or science since I need them and I don't think i can drop any subjects anymore tbh I think they've changed the system.
Reply 4
Original post by Jooooshy
Yeah, if you're looking for an easy ride, English isn't it. Obviously, though, the harder subjects are the most rewarding. I did English at AS and I don't regret it at all.

If you're doing a degree in econ, maybe. Otherwise, nah; English every time.

Thank you, this helped me some
economics best a level by far, gg
Reply 6
Original post by anon1928192
Thank you for the reply and this helps I'm looking to go into the field of research and science tbh so I can't imagine English lit helping me out, but I don't just want to do science and maths for fear of losing interest I would like another "free" feeling subject if you know what I mean. I won't be dropping maths or science since I need them and I don't think i can drop any subjects anymore tbh I think they've changed the system.

Ahh yes the A Levels are changing this year, my bad 😁
Although English Lit will require a different thought process compared to biology and chemistry etc, so will economics, and I'm sure they'll both give you a "free" feeling in that aspect. I also think it doesn't matter which subjects you take additional to those necessary for the course you want to study at university, so they don't HAVE to be related.

In terms of work load, I'm assuming you will almost certainly have less stress work wise by avoiding Literature, but as I haven't done English lit as an A level, I could be wrong.

Tbh all A levels are equally "hard" and so they become "easier" depending on your strengths and abilities as well as with time. Maybe if you focus on what you're good at, it might help you choose as that way you could do better studying a subject which is more like you? Personally, I found AS challenging at first, but when it comes to revising etc, it's not as difficult as it was made out to be because you eventually get the hang of it. 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest