This discussion is closed.
Birchington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
B797 - National (Sporting) Anthem Act 2015, The Hon. JoeL1994 MP
National (Sporting) Anthem Act 2015;

An Act to provide England with an alternative National Anthem for sporting events

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1. The current National Anthem
(1) ‘God Save The Queen’ shall be retained as the National Anthem for all non-sporting events.

2. Sporting Events
(1) At sporting events where an English national team is competing, the national anthem shall be replaced with ‘Vindaloo’ by Fat Les.

3. Royalties
(1) No royalties shall be paid for the usage of ‘Vindaloo’

4. Commencement, short title and extent
(1) This Act may be cited as the Sporting Anthem Act
(2) This bill shall extend to England; and
(3) Shall come into force with effect immediately following Royal Assent.

NOTES
Spoiler:
Show
It is recognised that Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales all use their own choice of sporting anthems whereas there has been no uniform anthem used by English national sporting teams. By using ‘Vindaloo’ opposition teams will know that the team they are playing against is indeed England and upon hearing this, fear will be struck into their hearts (in the same way the Haka does) as we declare that ‘We’re going to score one more than you'. By using ‘Vindaloo’, it is hoped that we will also be able to express our country’s pride in it’s cheddar cheese, cups of tea and adoption of curry as one of our national dishes. Using such a contemporary masterpiece as an anthem will no doubt inspire the general populace to become more involved in grassroots sport, leading to lower obesity rates, economic boom in the sports industry, and greater success for the nation in sporting events as bright young talents can be scouted easier.

Royalties will not be paid due to the gravity of this honour being it's own reward.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
One our national anthem isn't GSTQ it was replaced last term and even though the queen is back it isn't.

2. Paying no royalties seems awfully unfair

And 3) I've no idea what the song is more do I think I'll like it,
JoeL1994
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
One our national anthem isn't GSTQ it was replaced last term and even though the queen is back it isn't.

2. Paying no royalties seems awfully unfair

1) My apologies - Second reading would correct this

2) Success is it's own reward

3) If I change it to 'The Birdie Song' will I have your support?
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If this is being submitted for the reason I think it is, the grammar and formatting is too good.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JoeL1994)
1) My apologies - Second reading would correct this

2) Success is it's own reward

3) If I change it to 'The Birdie Song' will I have your support?
Good.

Right...

Preferably the chicken dance...
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
England's official anthem is now Jerusalem. If necessary we can use the Fat Les version of that for football, I assume rugby and cricket will want to retain something a little more dignified.

The UK anthem is I Vow to Thee My Country, and I support retaining that, and possibly bringing GSTQ back as the royal anthem à la Canada, Australia and NZ.
JoeL1994
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
England's official anthem is now Jerusalem. If necessary we can use the Fat Les version of that for football, I assume rugby and cricket will want to retain something a little more dignified.

The UK anthem is I Vow to Thee My Country, and I support retaining that, and possibly bringing GSTQ back as the royal anthem à la Canada, Australia and NZ.
I would be more than happy to edit the bill in a second reading once I have taken all feedback.
Jean-Luc Picard
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
would it not be more appropriate for us to have a song about letting down the fans? lol
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
'Nay'.

I see little reason to change from tradition.
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is a Bill, not an Act. But I suppose I know why...
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
"We're gonna score one more than you" - doesn't really work for a national golf event does it?

Anyway, first time I've heard the song and lmfao it's brilliant.
McRite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Vindaloo is too much of a fan song to be a national anthem for sporting events imo. If it were to be implemented then it should be shortened. I mean two minutes of 'na na na' is a bit of a time waster. I see the reasoning behind this act or bill.
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
God no.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It should be Jerusalem if anything, when there is a team representing England.

As for VIndaloo, the man who walks down the street in the video (Paul Kaye) used to live (or maybe still does) in Finchley, and if I repeated some of the comments those who encountered him, I would be using foul and inappropriate language.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
It should be Jerusalem if anything, when there is a team representing England.

As for VIndaloo, the man who walks down the street in the video (Paul Kaye) used to live (or maybe still does) in Finchley, and if I repeated some of the comments those who encountered him, I would be using foul and inappropriate language.
I might be mistaken, but I feel this is a joke response to the national bird, if not the timing is rather coincidental.
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
oh ffs it's this kind of thing that makes me despair with the whole voting process.
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
and how do i even vote on this? Why is there no option on some bills? Well count this as a "nay" from me.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
and how do i even vote on this? Why is there no option on some bills? Well count this as a "nay" from me.
Because this is still only being debated, hasn't been sent to division yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
JoeL1994
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
I might be mistaken, but I feel this is a joke response to the national bird, if not the timing is rather coincidental.
As if I would do such a thing...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (105)
61.4%
No (35)
20.47%
Not sure (31)
18.13%

Watched Threads