The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I doubt most poor chavs even know what the Tories are to be honest.
Original post by 24yearsSpurs
why do poor chavs reckon they speak for all?
People with a low income are one of the least likely to march, vote or become public commentators. So the evidence doesn't seem support your claim.

Original post by Moosferatu
This. Even university students in polls struggle to identify party members who are not the leader or responsible for the treasury. Let alone name more than headline policies. We need compulsory political education
(edited 8 years ago)

This.
Reply 4
"why do people hate the tories?"

*followed by classist statement,

...this is why
Original post by JamesFL
"why do people hate the tories?"

*followed by classist statement,

...this is why

It is if they hate us for unfounded reasons. But then if people want to be poor or remain in their estates, so be it.
Reply 6
Why do people hate the Tories?

Because they are doing everything they can to ruin the country.

Austerity, less people in secure employment, increased workfare, a proposed £12bn cuts in welfare, lower productivity, did not eliminate the deficit by 2015 like they said they would, privatised the Royal Mail, selling off parts of the NHS to private providers, house prices still ridiculously high, lowered corporation tax, attempting to criminalise Trade Unions, giving more power to the banks and a record number of people using food banks.

Feel free to let me know if I've missed anything out.
Original post by AII95

Austerity, less people in secure employment, increased workfare, a proposed £12bn cuts in welfare, lower productivity, did not eliminate the deficit by 2015 like they said they would, privatised the Royal Mail, selling off parts of the NHS to private providers, house prices still ridiculously high, lowered corporation tax, attempting to criminalise Trade Unions, giving more power to the banks and a record number of people using food banks.

All massive green flags to your average Tory supporter that thinks they might just wake up tomorrow as part of the elite's inner circle :tongue:

Prosperity is just around the corner.
Reply 8
It is if they hate us for unfounded reasons. But then if people want to be poor or remain in their estates, so be it.

The Tories are all well and good if you're already rich. Have one think happen to you; job cuts, work accident, become disabled, have to care for someone. Then the system wipes it's hands of you and leaves you stranded.
How dare you try to win political assurance by being so pathetically narrow-minded. You think anyone that is less well off than you wants to remain in a 'poor' and dejected state? You think that people of 'lower' classes don't strive at least as much as you?
You are wrong, unable to see past your prejudiced and stereotypical views, reduced to derogatory and classist statements. What did you think would happen when you posted this on an open forum? That people would greet you with open arms and accept your blinkered view of the world?
Grow up, and get some humanity.
Reply 9
no one caressssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Original post by blubear
The Tories are all well and good if you're already rich. Have one think happen to you; job cuts, work accident, become disabled, have to care for someone. Then the system wipes it's hands of you and leaves you stranded.
How dare you try to win political assurance by being so pathetically narrow-minded. You think anyone that is less well off than you wants to remain in a 'poor' and dejected state? You think that people of 'lower' classes don't strive at least as much as you?
You are wrong, unable to see past your prejudiced and stereotypical views, reduced to derogatory and classist statements. What did you think would happen when you posted this on an open forum? That people would greet you with open arms and accept your blinkered view of the world?
Grow up, and get some humanity.

Because it's funny to see you offended, and I don' think the tories are only the party of the rich. I reckon you're being ofensive by assuming they are, but ok.
Original post by ubax99
no one caressssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

haha...so i cannot comment...ok.
Original post by AII95

Because I am not super-rich and vote Tory.

And you neglect to mention that Labour's manfesto was very similar, and you obviously don't reckon they are evil.

So, no, no classism on my part, just saying how you reckon you're intelligent but then reckon UK political culture/society is the same as it was in the 1960s. Poor chavs have every opportunity to study in university,or school, but choose not to, and whine and stereotype all those who vote Conservative.
Poor chavs have every opportunity to study in university,or school, but choose not to, and whine and stereotype all those who vote Conservative.

Meanwhile, back in the real world...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33103878
Personally, I hate the Conservative party because they're the party of big business, and have a poor record on things like the environment and on welfare reforms, among numerous other things. Big business having unfair influence on politics is something I find abhorrent regardless of the issue, and I view the Conservatives as part of that problem and not the solution.

Original post by AII95

Unfair benefit sanctions. Seriously, people have been sanctioned for things like having a heart attack during a disability assessment, being late to a jobcentre appointment because of a job interview, etc.

They once had a climate change denier as environment secretary (Owen Paterson), who they only got rid of in a cabinet reshuffle last year. He also opposed EU restrictions on neonicotinoid pesticides (as did the Conservative led government). That they thought he was suitable for the job and kept him in it for a few years says a lot.

Their health secretary is a man who once co-authored a book that called for the NHS to be dismantled.

It is worth noting that quite a few Conservative politicians who voted for NHS reforms have financial interests in private healthcare, and have benefited financially from the very reforms they voted for. Or corruption, as I prefer to call it.
Reply 15
All massive green flags to your average Tory supporter that thinks they might just wake up tomorrow as part of the elite's inner circle :tongue:

Prosperity is just around the corner.

Working 9-5

From Tescos to the Treasury

Cus thats the way it is
Original post by whorace
Working 9-5

From Tescos to the Treasury

Cus thats the way it is

If I make life hell for the other slaves and defend master he won't beat me as hard.
The Tories have been in power throughout the past few years, thus people like to exaggerate the negatives attached to the party overlooking the fact that Tories are by far the most equitable party in Britain
Regardless of your political persuasions, if you start judgementally calling all the supporters of an opposing party ad hominems such as "poor chavs", you're probably going to be met with a tepid reception. Just saying. :smile:
Original post by RFowler

Unfair benefit sanctions. Seriously, people have been sanctioned for things like having a heart attack during a disability assessment, being late to a jobcentre appointment because of a job interview, etc..

Yea. I saw a lot of this when I worked for the CAB. A lot of my job involved helping people understand the reconsideration process or booking benefits advice appointments or doing foodbank referrals :/.

Latest

Trending

Trending