The Student Room Group

Was The Shopkeeper Right Or Wrong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y4uA6GHLAA

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/this-no-ordinary-shop-watch-5876223

(Contains violence)
video been doing the rounds on the internet and people are outraged by it.
You would think they would be angry at the guy stealing but no namby pamby wishy washy liberal britain is angry at the shopkeeper.
(edited 8 years ago)
Wrong. There was no need to do it; we have a police force so that people don't need to take matters into their own hands. It wasn't even in the course of preventing the thief from leaving the shop but a form of 'punishment'. Apart from restraint (during citizen's arrest) or self-defence, no person has the right to assault another.

Most thieves are desperate enough (whether through poverty or needing drug money) to probably return to a shop where someone has given them a few slaps. So, I struggle to see the deterrent effect here.

Do we really want the situation where citizens are free to assault other citizens whom they consider have done something wrong? That's not the trademark of a civilised society.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by matthewduncan

(Contains violence)
You would think they would be angry at the guy stealing but no namby pamby wishy washy liberal britain is angry at the shopkeeper.

Nope. Don't think he was wrong for the one slap and the verbal stuff. But keeping coming back is a bit sadistic but just the one slap, and telling him to get the **** out, I get that. Seeing that the guy wasn't fighting back and he kept doing it is wrong. I think he got the message and he looked terrified like I feel bad for the white dude because I see myself in the shopkeep. It's mad because he didn't call the cops he just threatened him out. I mean it's happened to me loads of times like I've been caught stealing and banned but not like that. I've just been told I should be ashamed of myself being brown stealing from brown and I didn't do it again.

Well...not again from there lol

The last time I nicked from a shop it was like two yrs ago I lost my umbrella and before the day was out it started to rain badly so I tried to take one but some old guy who helps run the shop grassed on me :colonhash: and he said, "Why you do that? Why you steal from me?" And he called some younger man over and they just looked hurt to be honest and told me not to do it again. Then they got looted during the riots and closed down lol
Original post by Man.bear.pig
Nope. Don't think he was wrong for the one slap and the verbal stuff.

How would you feel/what would you do if a bouncer gave you a hard slap around the face and shouted abuse at you whilst you were being drunk and a bit loud outside the club?
Typical sly racism if you see the Facebook comments. When the guy said this is no ordinary corner ship you see people saying 'oh so it's a front for money laundering/ child molesters' and people calling him a terrorist simply because he's Asian. Had the thief been Asian or black you'd get people praising the shop keeper.

They shop keeper did nothing wrong maybe a few slaps over the top but still taught the guy a lesson what happens when you steal. I'd expect a lot of people to do the same tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Well he was obviously right
Original post by Déscartés
Typical sly racism if you see the Facebook comments. When the guy said this is no ordinary corner ship you see people saying 'oh so it's a front for money laundering/ child molesters' and people calling him a terrorist simply because he's Asian. Had the thief been Asian or black you'd get people praising the shop keeper.

They shop keeper did nothing wrong maybe a few slaps over the top but still taught the guy a lesson what happens when you steal. I'd expect a lot of people to do the same tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He looks Asian or Arab to me.
reactions are as important as actions. an
Original post by Lady Comstock

Nah definitely white guy,maybe eastern European

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah definitely white guy,maybe eastern European

Posted from TSR Mobile

Comstock, Descartes said if the THIEF was Asian...not the shopkeep.

The THIEF is white.
How would you feel/what would you do if a bouncer gave you a hard slap around the face and shouted abuse at you whilst you were being drunk and a bit loud outside the club?

I hate seeing that I'm quoted and 90% of it is omitted.

What do you mean how I would feel? How do you think I'd feel?
This isn't exactly a put-yourself-in-that-man's-shoes situation. He got shamed for stealing. End of.

Now..if you had read the rest of my post you'd see I said he went too far. The one slap and the yelling to get out is fine, it's actually quite common as I've seen it and heard about it happening to others. Especially the swearing to get out. I've even seen on regular days shopkeeps come out with bats and other weapons running the thieves out.
COmstock: Don't even think about playing sjw via "that's racist." You're essentially defending a criminal.

If the criminal wasn't wearing plaid and a satchel (rofl) and got slapped up

or if the thief was of colour

or a white chav, youth or adult,

or a big skinhead

and the shopkeep was still the same dude in the video (young brown male)

and did the same thing

would you be all moany about it? :colonhash:
Looks set up to me,
Reply 13
I think the shopkeeper was in the right
Reply 14
He deserved it
I read the title as 'Shakespeare' :redface:
I don't see the problem. The shoplifter gets a second chance without the police being involved and the shopkeeper solves the problem. Also he was nice enough to give the guy his bag back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by matthewduncan

(Contains violence)

I think the shopkeeper was in the right - although that many slaps is a bit too extreme. I used to work in an off-license when I was about 19 and we used to have shoplifters steal bottles from that store. They were repeat offenders and whenever we gave footage to the police or called them after the offence took place - the police would do jack$hit! JACK$HIT! So we are being put of pocket by a few low-life chavs and verbally abused and we have to sit back and take it all and report it to the police? You what mate? You serious? This is Britain - the land where criminals get away with everything! I remember chasing a lad outside the shop one day because he nicked something and boy was he scared. He thought we would sit back and do nothing and of course lazy ass police here do nothing either! Not only did he not come back for a while but he also told his mates that we meant business.

Mate you got to understand that shopkeepers have a shop for a reason. It is their liveliohood - whatever they make is what they earn! It is their ONLY income. They don't have the luxury of going to work only 8 hours a day and sitting in front of a computer. It is very hard work I can tell you that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I strongly agree. Shopkeepers have a life and need a source of income. Running a shop IS THEIR ONLY INCOME. So for some waste $hit chav to come and steal stuff and walk off will of course have a negative impact on the shopkeeper. Forget the supermarkets, they are already thieves themselves by over-inflating prices etc.

Quick Reply

Latest