Am I crazy for not believing in ghosts?

Watch this thread
InfiniteWisdom
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
People believe that every human as an ethereal metaphysical essence of themselves infused with their physical being that can, at death, somehow separate from their physical being and continues to exist in a paranormal supernatural state for an indefinite amount of time in a predisposed parallel plane of existence, unless that human expires in the midst of a deeply emotional moral dilemma ...in which some life purpose has not been completed, at which point the ethereal version of themselves lingers in the physical realm enriched with the power to manipulate physical matter in order to complete their unfinished task. ..and people, along with billions of others, believes this with no conclusive evidence.
And I'm crazy for being a little skeptical about that concept?
sandvika
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by InfiniteWisdom)
People believe that every human as an ethereal metaphysical essence of themselves infused with their physical being that can, at death, somehow separate from their physical being and continues to exist in a paranormal supernatural state for an indefinite amount of time in a predisposed parallel plane of existence, unless that human expires in the midst of a deeply emotional moral dilemma ...in which some life purpose has not been completed, at which point the ethereal version of themselves lingers in the physical realm enriched with the power to manipulate physical matter in order to complete their unfinished task. ..and people, along with billions of others, believes this with no conclusive evidence.
And I'm crazy for being a little skeptical about that concept?
I don't believe in them and I don't think "billions" do either but I wish I did believe in them
24yearsSpurs
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
most believe in a soul od some form. Christian, Muslims and Hindus do.

But then ghosts? no. only like people from African religions or Asian religions (not Buddhism or Taoism).

But no, it's a sound opinion because theres no evidence ghosts exist.
demx9
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by 24yearsSpurs)
most believe in a soul od some form. Christian, Muslims and Hindus do.

But then ghosts? no. only like people from African religions or Asian religions (not Buddhism or Taoism).

But no, it's a sound opinion because theres no evidence ghosts exist.
Why Soul yes and ghosts no ?

There's more evidence of ghosts than Souls
Kanairee
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
For many people believing in the ghosts of relatives or loved ones that they've lost is more of a coping mechanism than an actual substantiated belief. They don't require any physical evidence, simply thinking that they are around them is enough. For others they genuinely believe that things that happen are the results of what you might call 'ghosts,' like knocking sounds or hearing voices, but others put this down to residual energy of particularly strong events. But like you say, we have no evidence so we can only speculate.

As for souls, there's certain aspects of a person that are unique to us that we ascribe to the existence of a metaphysical essence of ourselves: consciousness, for example, or intentionality, creativity, understanding. The things that make people people are often ascribed to something that you might identify as a 'soul,' because these things are unrepeatable to the same extent in anything we can create or anything we have knowledge of (animals, machines.) You're not crazy for being sceptical, plenty of people are, but for the majority all it comes down to is an element of faith.
username1533709
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kanairee)
For many people believing in the ghosts of relatives or loved ones that they've lost is more of a coping mechanism than an actual substantiated belief. They don't require any physical evidence, simply thinking that they are around them is enough. For others they genuinely believe that things that happen are the results of what you might call 'ghosts,' like knocking sounds or hearing voices, but others put this down to residual energy of particularly strong events. But like you say, we have no evidence so we can only speculate.

As for souls, there's certain aspects of a person that are unique to us that we ascribe to the existence of a metaphysical essence of ourselves: consciousness, for example, or intentionality, creativity, understanding. The things that make people people are often ascribed to something that you might identify as a 'soul,' because these things are unrepeatable to the same extent in anything we can create or anything we have knowledge of (animals, machines.) You're not crazy for being sceptical, plenty of people are, but for the majority all it comes down to is an element of faith.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This ^.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (14)
17.28%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (21)
25.93%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (42)
51.85%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
4.94%

Watched Threads