Turn on thread page Beta

Court Visits watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

I was just wondering if any of you guys have visited courts as part of your AS/A2 Law courses? I'm thinking of applying for law for entry in 2005, but have little experience of courts and visits etc. What's it like? What cases did you get to sit in on?

Has anyone worked in a solicitors? What did you learn?

Does anyone know any good websites for law related study?

Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by Surfing Hamster
    Does anyone know any good websites ?
    http://www.hmso.gov.uk/

Not a law student myself, but I would suggest that this place might be a good place as a point of reference.

Contains all legislation, and links to books, journals etc.

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk

A link here to the Law Society of England & Wales, which can't exactly be a bad place to look for stuff.

I dunno. Few other people may be able to talk from experience.

ReputationRep:
    hiya for my year 10 work experience I went to Bournemouth Crown and County Courts and it was a real eye opener. The first week I was with the internal workers doing small claim forms, arrest warrants, divorce paper work, etc. and then for the second week I mainly watched the court cases. I was also allowed to sit in on private family and bankruptcy cases. It was a really good experience, even though I have decided not to do law any more. If you can get into the courts it would give you a better placement than at a solicitors because all my friends ended up just making cups of coffee and didn't really do anything legal based.

Originally posted by Surfing Hamster
    Hey everyone!

I was just wondering if any of you guys have visited courts as part of your AS/A2 Law courses? I'm thinking of applying for law for entry in 2005, but have little experience of courts and visits etc. What's it like? What cases did you get to sit in on?

Has anyone worked in a solicitors? What did you learn?

Does anyone know any good websites for law related study?

Thanks!!
    It's not a very exciting experience for that matter. To describe it metaphorically, it's a bit like walking in on a show that is about to end which you've never read any reviews about.

Anyway, I presume you've just finished Year 11, considering your year of entry. As hackneyed as it may sound, you're narrowing your choices down too quickly. Many of my friends had decided to change their career choice from law to other strands at your age. In fact, a placement this early can put one off unnecessarily simply because of the rigours you will witness.

And as one person mentioned earlier, these experiences can be rather unfruitful, making coffees to kill time due to lack of work or learning given by the firm.

ReputationRep:
    I did my work ex. with the Crown Prosecution in year 10. It was both good and bad. I went to the crown courts and witnessed the beginning of a trial ( guy annoying changed his mind and decided to plead guilty ) and loads of other totally shocking stuff. It was really interesting cause i got to talk to barristers and solicitors and everyone really. Went to magistrates court which was singularly the most boring day of my life. Went in the juvenile court too which was pretty interesting. However after a while I got a bit bored of just going to court and found that one of the days i enjoyed most was when i had to do paperwork and filing. I didn't have to make a single cup of tea for anyone other than myself.

Would like to point out that the CPS seemed to be a very unorganised organisation. There was nobody in charge of me so most of the time I was just sat around reading mags unless someone decided to take me to court with them or I asked for something to do. One of the solicitors even left me at court which was pretty annoying and I didn't really wanna go back there for my last day.

Anyway, that was my experience and u gotta take the good with the bad so I'd definately recommend it. You can't really do much at a solicitors firm until you are at least an undergraduate. I wouldn't say you're narrowing your choices by studying law, if anything you're broadening them. Its a good degree that shows you are intelligent and capable. You don't have to go into the law if you change your mind halfway through your degree.

ReputationRep:
    anyone can go sit in the public gallery of the crown court, so if you'r really intrested, i'd ring up and say your a law student and ask what cases are on at the mo. and ask what time they start in the morning and stuff, then you can pick intresting cases and get a real feal of how a court works!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by Vin
    It's not a very exciting experience for that matter. To describe it metaphorically, it's a bit like walking in on a show that is about to end which you've never read any reviews about.

Anyway, I presume you've just finished Year 11, considering your year of entry. As hackneyed as it may sound, you're narrowing your choices down too quickly. Many of my friends had decided to change their career choice from law to other strands at your age. In fact, a placement this early can put one off unnecessarily simply because of the rigours you will witness.

And as one person mentioned earlier, these experiences can be rather unfruitful, making coffees to kill time due to lack of work or learning given by the firm.
    I'm about to start year 13. The reason for the entry date is because I've been considering a gap year to gain relevant work experience and so forth.

I really just want to explore what Law has to offer, having considered a range of subjects to study.

Originally I considered Computer Science and IT related courses, only to find that the top universities only offered courses with large maths-based content, and so decided it wasn't for me.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.