The Student Room Logo
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter- Posh?

Scroll to see replies

I don't think we intended to gang up on you or anything [I certainly didn't] I just think we didn't like somewhere we loved being portrayed in such a way that you did, and quite a few of the posts you made came across as very rude indeed, which most people don't really like... If you take it from our point of view. Say you loved a little place in Kent, and someone came along saying that it was full of fakers, nihilists or dull-minded careerists and had a lot of tossers etc wouldn't you get rightly annoyed?

Thanks for the good luck btw
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Dave2
Everybody's time is different and Maths degrees are supposed to be particularly hard, but you will earn more money when you leave. Good luck.

PS. I know it’s not good to say this, cuz it’s just gonna stir things up more, but for such a hard-working student, you seem to have spent a lot of time posting on this forum this afternoon. I know Maths is hard, just saying…

At the moment I'm have a rather hard time concentrating. I'm not sleeping because of pain from my thumb [sprained it last friday, still painful] so revising just doesn't happen - it can take me 10 times to read a page before I realise I have actually read it...And I'm going to be doing a revision marathon over the weekend with a friend and lots of chocolate and ben and jerries...
Sephrenia
I don't think we intended to gang up on you or anything [I certainly didn't] I just think we didn't like somewhere we loved being portrayed in such a way that you did, and quite a few of the posts you made came across as very rude indeed, which most people don't really like... If you take it from our point of view. Say you loved a little place in Kent, and someone came along saying that it was full of fakers, nihilists or dull-minded careerists and had a lot of tossers etc wouldn't you get rightly annoyed?

Thanks for the good luck btw

Fair enough.

I wouldn't get hugely annoyed, cuz it would just be their opinion, and if somebody else had defended the little place in Kent before I had a chance to reply and I had nothing new to add, I would keep quiet, because otherwise you're just ganging up on someone.

If I had a funny joke, or a new argument, or anything new to add, I would, but just to say the same angry thing as the last guy is a bit like ganging up on somebody.

The first post was about posh people in Exeter, and I was just replying to that. The nihilist bit was probably just my own personal experience and not distinctive of Exeter specifically, but I think it's fair to say that there are quite a lot of fakers and careerists in Exeter.

I did spend three years there, so I do know a little about the place...

Anyhow, I didn't mean to personally offend or upset anybody.
Dave2
Fair enough.

I wouldn't get hugely annoyed, cuz it would just be their opinion, and if somebody else had defended the little place in Kent before I had a chance to reply and I had nothing new to add, I would keep quiet, because otherwise you're just ganging up on someone.

If I had a funny joke, or a new argument, or anything new to add, I would, but just to say the same angry thing as the last guy is a bit like ganging up on somebody.

The first post was about posh people in Exeter, and I was just replying to that. The nihilist bit was probably just my own personal experience and not distinctive of Exeter specifically, but I think it's fair to say that there are quite a lot of fakers and careerists in Exeter.

I did spend three years there, so I do know a little about the place...

Anyhow, I didn't mean to personally offend or upset anybody.

To be fair, if you come on an Exeter Uni forum and start posting abuse about it, how can you not expect to get jumped on?
Go to any other Uni forum if you want to have a moan about Exeter, you are more likely to find people who will want to badmouth it with you.
Reply 164
I would ignore Dave2, people. I think I know who he is and amazingly he's not quite such a tosser in real life, but right now he is being a bit of a prick. I'd quit while you're ahead, boy :p:
I went to Exeter Uni myself and completed a three year degree programme. I think that gives me a certain level of knowledge about the place.

My reply was there to help enlighten a person who asked if Exeter was full of posh people. It is. Why would someone like him go to a different uni's forum for information about Exeter?

I said that I liked the area (Devon), the course, the quality of teaching, the locals, the place (Exeter), but not your 'typical' Exeter student.

As mentioned, I had presumed that most of you would be staunchly pro-Exeter-student types, because otherwise you would not go out of your ways to become regulars on an Exeter Uni forum. I was giving an alternative opinion of the many people who have not had a great time at Exeter Uni and do not post on forums like this (where as proven they get shouted down).
Reply 166
There's nothing wrong with saying you didn't have a good time there - my time there wasn't perfect either, and if you are who I think you are then I understand why you didn't (many of your reasons resonate with mine).

However, there's a difference between saying you didn't have a good time and basically calling everyone tossers :p:
Reply 167
the impression i've gotten so far is public school rugby boys rule the roost? Lots of booze/girls/rugby/and other gaieties...

if you're small, unsporty, homosexual, quiet one, etc you'll quickly get singled out of the exclusive crowd?!
please don't keep that impression. one man's experience isn't enough for people to worry themselves about being singled out. as an undergrad i came from the north east with a broad, working class accent and made lots of friends, some upper middle class with very exclusive educations, others from very poor areas of africa. rugby is but one thing that people have in common in certain circles and won't be the deciding factor in your social life. exeter has a strong gay community too. and, believe it or not, you will find groups of people that don't really drink either. dave2 was honest about his experience and wanted to offer a counter balanced view, but this won't necessarily be yours.

edit: i should also point out that the mix of state:tongue:ublic schoolers is shifting and more local/state school students are coming through the ranks, in line with exeter's new policies (hence all the press on exeter about its pioneering scholarships etc)
Reply 169
strong gay community ey? i'm not gay but sounds bloody brilliant :P coming from more liberal brighton I was worried that exeter would not only be posh, but close minded too, a bit backward maybe...

posh i can deal with, but closed minds would make me a bit sad
i think uni is the time when people learn to be more open-minded generally
The Boosh
i think uni is the time when people learn to be more open-minded generally

Not sure about that. Exeter's very white and middle-class so it's hardly all encompassing in terms of multiculturalism, especially when the more "common" student of Exeter has parents who work high up the ladder of high-ranking accountancy firms, take regular foreign holidays and are Masons...

I went to uni quite idealistic, thinking that everybody would be be intelligent, fun-loving people who want to change the world for the better, and I left uni rather cynical. Most people are much more concerned over petty squabbles like the washing up. People very quickly fall into defensive little cliques, and fend off people outside of them.

(Sorry to drag up an old topic.)
Dave2
Not sure about that. Exeter's very white and middle-class so it's hardly all encompassing in terms of multiculturalism, especially when the more "common" student of Exeter has parents who work high up the ladder of high-ranking accountancy firms, take regular foreign holidays and are Masons...

I went to uni quite idealistic, thinking that everybody would be be intelligent, fun-loving people who want to change the world for the better, and I left uni rather cynical. Most people are much more concerned over petty squabbles like the washing up. People very quickly fall into defensive little cliques, and fend off people outside of them.

(Sorry to drag up an old topic.)

gosh, where did this thread pop up from? lol

i guess different people have different experiences. my undergrad was at brookes and my postgrad was at exeter. brookes, like exeter, was in the bottom 10 for state school intake, but i still found the university to be very multi-cultural, multi-sexual, multi-faith, multi-drug use etc and, coming from a white working class north east background i went from being around a mono background to having a string of gay, asian, muslim (etc) friends. this was a shock to the system because prior to this i'd never experienced anything like it. further, as an exeter postgrad i'm the ethnic minority since around 80% of my peers are international students (usually from the middle east and asia)
Sorry about dragging it up. I was scrolling through some of my old posts...

It's something post-graduates experience more because the Souk (world music) night is held at the Post-Graduate Centre (and I'm sure there are other factors - like accommodation).

I was different to most undergrad students in that I had a lots of housing problems and lived in many different places, so I got a good mix of sexualities, nationalities etc. who I shared with. I made great friends with some of them and it was sad to see them move on, but I really was a bit shocked by the clique-y groups formed amongst some fellow undergrads.

I could talk for hours with Italians I'd just met and get invited back to a house party, and chat with them till the early hours, perfectly innocently, but if you were to even say hello to some of the English people I knew (some quite well) and you were outside of their little group, you would get looked at like you were weird, or had some kind of hidden motive, or simply not cool enough for their group, or sized up by the group in order to assess whether you could possibly be cool enough to join it.

I now live in the Luton area and find that everybody is stand-offish generally here, and the races/groups/nationalities never integrate and the differences seem very pointed.
Reply 174
bionic07
strong gay community ey? i'm not gay but sounds bloody brilliant :P coming from more liberal brighton I was worried that exeter would not only be posh, but close minded too, a bit backward maybe...

posh i can deal with, but closed minds would make me a bit sad

I'm from Brighton and much prefer Exeter, in every single way.
Reply 175
bionic07
the impression i've gotten so far is public school rugby boys rule the roost? Lots of booze/girls/rugby/and other gaieties...

if you're small, unsporty, homosexual, quiet one, etc you'll quickly get singled out of the exclusive crowd?!

Absolutely not! Yes, there is a small minortiy of your typical public school rugger bugger types, but remember that there are 13000 students at Exeter - there's always going to be someone on your own wavelength. The rahs (and I don't mean all public school people, just the ones who judge you on how much daddy earns and what you wear, most people I've met are lovely, wherever they went to school!) keep themselves to themselves, and us mortals genearlly either ignore them or laugh at them!
As in any walk of life, a few people are intolerant *****, but don't let the reputation of a few cloud your perception of how lovely everyone else is!

x
Reply 176
i live in exeter and i go to college, doing AS. Exeter university seems prety good from what iv seen, but i dont want to go there just cos of the fact iv lived in exeter all by life. as for black people, there arne't really many to be honest but i dont think peole are ricist here. i know there is a large chiniese student population here though so maby ppls attitudes are non racist because of that.
you get the odd posh people but id say its a good mix. like other people say, most top universities have them. (i want to burn down the jack wills shop recently opened in exeter cos now everyones wearing it)
Reply 177
Exeter's perceived as being "posh" - wasn't there some article in Exepose about us being in the top ten for "Not having many people from a lower socio-economic background"? :rolleyes:

It's not really though. I'm not "posh", most of my friends aren't "posh", those who are (went to private schools or whatever...) aren't horrible people. Of course there's tossers - I work at Arena, I see a lot of them - and most of the tossers seem to be "rahs", but that's probably my skewed commoners view :tongue:

As for whoever it was said that students don't appreciate the local culture, and the locals hate the students...I've never found that. I'm Somerset, born and bred, so it's not like I'm miles away from Devon generally, and I love being a South Westerner. And my friends love taking the piss out of my accent :tongue: but it's all in fun and I do it straight back! And working at Arena, and knowing someone who works at Firehouse, we've come in contact with many locals and I've not found any epic hatred of students. EVERYONE (including the students!) comes out of a bad shift saying "We ******* hate students" but everyone (including the locals) will come out of a bad Saturday shift saying "We ******* hate locals"!

It's the individuals you want to look at, not the stereotype.

This might be a bit long winded and rambly but what I'm trying to say is - we might have a reputation for being posh, we might have more than our fair share of "rahs", but that doesn't mean if you're not "posh" you'll be out of place, nor does it mean Exeter isn't a great place for Uni-ing!
kuroptd
I keep reading about how there are lots of posh students at Exeter. Is that really true? I don't want to go somewhere where people care what I'm wearing, or what type of car I'm driving.
So I'm asking..if anybody knows about that.

(And also- If I go to exeter will I see many black people?- Im scared of being the only black person in the room most of the time.)

hello. i can confirm your suspicion that exeter university is full of Pretentious idiotic little rich kids that think they are better than everyone else .yes they do care what you are wearing they do care how u talk and yes they do think they are better than everyone. of course there is also a few good people there and the local people are a charming bunch of charecters.the place is only spoiled by these annoying naive little posh kids. they are truly the worst sort of people complete scumm .but theres nothing to fear as 8 of them combined doesent amount to one man.i know 16 year old girls that could outsmart and outbox these types
speedythaio
hello. i can confirm your suspicion that exeter university is full of Pretentious idiotic little rich kids that think they are better than everyone else .yes they do care what you are wearing they do care how u talk and yes they do think they are better than everyone. of course there is also a few good people there and the local people are a charming bunch of charecters.the place is only spoiled by these annoying naive little posh kids. they are truly the worst sort of people complete scumm .but theres nothing to fear as 8 of them combined doesent amount to one man.i know 16 year old girls that could outsmart and outbox these types

If by 'charming charecters' you mean six-fingered, web-footed, three-eyed inbreds, then yeah, the locals are fine.

Luckily, having Lympstone nearby, occasionally some half-decent DNA is introduced to the gene pool.

Would you like some vinegar on your chips, sunshine?

Quick Reply