Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rayban)
    Yeah they would. People wouldnt want to go to the pub as much because they cant smoke, they would rarther get a couple o cans n drink/smoke @ home... Or at a private bar

not true whilst we prefer to smoke whilst we drink we would not stop going out just because of it we'd just smoke less when we're out (which we actualy want to do) or go outside to smoke

ReputationRep:
    Could have a small room with extraction fans, that would do it

ReputationRep:
    Theres a risk of getting cancer. Are people who drive cars losers? They risk their own life, everyone elses life, damage the environment.
    the risk of getting cancer is the extreme. 99.99..% of people who drive cars dont damage their health, wheras ALL (no exceptions) smokers do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    not true whilst we prefer to smoke whilst we drink we would not stop going out just because of it we'd just smoke less when we're out (which we actualy want to do) or go outside to smoke
    mmm... I suppose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endorf)
    the risk of getting cancer is the extreme. people who drive cars dont damage their health, wheras ALL smokers do.
    They damage pedestrian's health, and the environment.

ReputationRep:
    Theres a risk of getting cancer. Are people who drive cars losers? They risk their own life, everyone elses life, damage the environment.
    Unlike smoking, driving a car is useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Some people may argue cig's help them relax though, however i do agree a car is much more useful.

ReputationRep:
    They damage pedestrian's health, and the environment.
    not in the same way that smoking does. and the new environmentally friendly fuels are gonna kick in in the next decade.

ReputationRep:
    the risk of getting cancer is the extreme. 99.99..% of people who drive cars dont damage their health, wheras ALL smokers do.

what about the pollution caused by cars, the stress of traffic jams, noise pollution etc

You'll have to go a long way to convince me that all smokers are damaging other peoples health - while obviously we know about the risk of cancer information about passive smokings fairly limited at the moment and there are such things as responsible smokers, who wont smoke around children, in a restaurant, in the house, and who will ask permission before lighting up in the pub

ReputationRep:
    not in the same way that smoking does. and the new environmentally friendly fuels are gonna kick in in the next decade.
    Havnt heard about this, is there a name for the system or something?

ReputationRep:
    Some people may argue cig's help them relax though, however i do agree a car is much more useful.
    I would say (confidently) that smoking is far more damaging to ones health than driving a car (crashes excluded).

ReputationRep:
    I would say (confidently) that smoking is far more damaging to ones health than driving a car (crashes excluded).
    That make me giggle lol

ReputationRep:
    what about the pollution caused by cars, the stress of traffic jams, noise pollution etc

You'll have to go a long way to convince me that all smokers are damaging other peoples health - while obviously we know about the risk of cancer information about passive smokings fairly limited at the moment and there are such things as responsible smokers, who wont smoke around children, in a restaurant, in the house, and who will ask permission before lighting up in the pub
    no such thing as a responsible smoker. even if they avoid passive smoking situations, they are not being responsible to themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Havnt heard about this, is there a name for the system or something?
    electric cars, many manufacturers are developing at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    in the bigger picture its slighlty irrelvent but smokers do provide a lot of employment particularly for people in the thrid world who can make more money growing tobbaco than other crops. (although you can say the same thing for opium)

And the taxation rate on cigarettes means that the average smoker puts 11 times as much money into the NHS as they take out

ReputationRep:
    no such thing as a responsible smoker. even if they avoid passive smoking situations, they are not being responsible to themselves.
    surely being responsible for yourselve means taking care of your body....so exercise, diet, stress levels, living environment, strength of personal relationships come into play...i myself smole about 15 cigarettes a day...play sport 5 times a week can run 3 miles in about 16 minutes, eat a healthy diet, dont drink to excess....am i being irresponsible to myself beacse of the one 'sin' i commit?

ReputationRep:
    in the bigger picture its slighlty irrelvent but smokers do provide a lot of employment particularly for people in the thrid world who can make more money growing tobbaco than other crops. (although you can say the same thing for opium)

And the taxation rate on cigarettes means that the average smoker puts 11 times as much money into the NHS as they take out
    Lol. You're a saint.

ReputationRep:
    electric cars, many manufacturers are developing at the moment.
    And this is means powerstations producing more power, using more fossil fuels. Unless they make that wind farm thing in the North east ocean thing then i doubt this will be sucessful. Plus what happens to all the old cars?

ReputationRep:
    surely being responsible for yourselve means taking care of your body....so exercise, diet, stress levels, living environment, strength of personal relationships come into play...i myself smole about 15 cigarettes a day...play sport 5 times a week can run 3 miles in about 16 minutes, eat a healthy diet, dont drink to excess....am i being irresponsible to myself beacse of the one 'sin' i commit?
    if this is true, yes you are being (very) irresponsible. you could be a very good athlete if you gave up smoking.

ReputationRep:
    if this is true, yes you are being (very) irresponsible. you could be a very good athlete if you gave up smoking.
    Its not like he's trying to turn pro lol

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 31, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.